The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF Town Hall Meetings - Horse Wefare and Drugging

I just received an email announcing these upcoming meetings to be held over the summer. (Hopefully someone can post a link - I'm still fighting Windows 8, so I'm not able to do it). Now is the time to put up or shut up - attend the meeting in your area and give them your opinion. Will change happen? No one can tell, but if no one speaks up, nothing will ever change.

2 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Copy-pasta from the email I received:

March 8, 2013

Invitation to Attend USEF Town Hall Meeting

From the USEF Communications Department
    Welfare of the Horse in the 21st Century: Meeting the Needs of the Performance Horse in a Changing Environment

Invitation to Attend USEF Town Hall Meeting - March 27, 2013

Winter Equestrian Festival - Wellington Club - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm ET

Equestrian Sport Productions will host the first of seven USEF Town Hall meetings which will be held across the country throughout the Spring and Summer of 2013 On March 27. Federation representatives will join prominent industry owners, trainers, and veterinarians to discuss topical issues contributing to unprecedented public scrutiny relating to medication and treatment of performance horses. Media articles have brought focus to both therapeutic techniques and medication practices in racing, and more recently this national media focus has raised a number of questions about medication use in the show arena.

Prompted by reports across all breeds and disciplines confirming inappropriate use of medication for the purpose of gaining advantage in competition in today's show arena, the USEF leadership, in concert with the USEF Drugs & Medication and USEF Veterinary Committees, is soliciting information from stakeholders. Information gained in these forums will guide industry reform and regulation aimed at insuring the health and well being of the horse in our sport.

Additional USEF Town Hall Meetings will be scheduled in the following locations. Look for updates regarding specific times and locations for these forums.

Lexington, VA - Virginia Horse Park - First week in May
    North Salem, NY - Old Salem Farm - Mid-May
    Lexington, KY - Kentucky Horse Park - Mid-May
    Parker, CO - Colorado Horse Park - June
    San Juan Capistrano, CA - Blenheim Equisports - June
    Bend, OR - High Desert Classics - July

USEF Town Hall Discussion Topics will include:
    USEF Leadership Speaks to the Industry-Wide Focus on Welfare of the Horse today
    Introduction and Review of the American Association of Equine Practitioner's Guidelines for Treating Performance Horses with discussion of USEF enhancements leading to the adoption of the Guidelines as Industry Standards
    Overview of USEF and FEI Medication Rules
    Regulatory & Enforcement Issues
    Owner-Trainer-Veterinarian Relationship and Responsibility
    Next Steps - Call for Industry Reform

All USEF stakeholders are invited to attend these sessions in person. The USEF is also seeking input from interested parties who might not be able to attend in person. Simply respond to the topics outlined above by sending an email to:
    horsewelfare@usef.org. Your input will be compiled and presented to the Town Hall forums.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I am going to make every effort to go to old Salem in May. Time to put up or shut up folks, here is our chance to be heard. May not fix everything right away, but it is a step. My main point will be to express the idea of holding owner's responsible for infractions (in addition to trainer/ manager) and punishments with teeth of increasing severity.

People, Did you not read why they are having these meetings?

The Media,not the welfare of the horse, yup, that's right because of the negative media brought to light and I quote:

"unprecedented public scrutiny relating to medication and treatment of performance horses."

Next who do they want to meet with? You, think again, and I quote:

"prominent industry owners, trainers, and veterinarians discuss topical issues"

They don't want to hear from the little people, they want to see you all file in a praise them for the meetings and action.

However I do understand the process, they need the buy in from the masses to make change happen more transparently.

So don't get all misty eyed and think your opinion now is heard, perhaps they may or may not make any sweeping or small changes to the current practices.

If the tone of the letter had been like, we believe there may be issues we need to address and feel we the need to hear the input and support of our members to make changes or at least identify what issues are relivent to the welfare of the horse... then I might be more supportive.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    People, Did you not read why they are having these meetings?

The Media,not the welfare of the horse, yup, that's right because of the negative media brought to light and I quote:

"unprecedented public scrutiny relating to medication and treatment of performance horses."

Next who do they want to meet with? You, think again, and I quote:

"prominent industry owners, trainers, and veterinarians discuss topical issues"

They don't want to hear from the little people, they want to see you all file in a praise them for the meetings and action.

However I do understand the process, they need the buy in from the masses to make change happen more transparently.

So don't get all misty eyed and think your opinion now is heard, perhaps they may or may not make any sweeping or small changes to the current practices.

If the tone of the letter had been like, we believe there may be issues we need to address and feel we the need to hear the input and support of our members to make changes or at least identify what issues are relivent to the welfare of the horse... then I might be more supportive.
    Right but they sure don't need 'buy in' from anybody.
    For years rule changes and policy decisions have been made in executive committee sessions held over the course of the year and not so much from what happens at the annual meeting.

They can simply pass a new rule, order a new study, do delay of game, point at somebody else etc. or whatever they want.

And of course, some of the 'prominent' owners, trainers and riders just happen to be the same people who get picked up for drug and medication violations. Not in their best interests to propose actual 'gasp' change.

3 members found this post helpful.

The following paragraph is why an unbiased and aggressive press is essential. The horse show world got (rightly) slammed by the NY Times article, much the way the racing industry did with similar investigative reports about pervasive drugging. The racing articles have started to bring about important changes in drugging regulations. Im hoping the same will happen in the horse show world. With any luck The NYTimes will keep following the story, which will make it difficult for the horse show world movers and shakers not to act in a more responsible way to benefit the well being of these animals that give their all to us.

"Federation representatives will join prominent industry owners, trainers, and veterinarians to discuss topical issues contributing to unprecedented public scrutiny relating to medication and treatment of performance horses. Media articles have brought focus to both therapeutic techniques and medication practices in racing, and more recently this national media focus has raised a number of questions about medication use in the show arena.

Prompted by reports across all breeds and disciplines confirming inappropriate use of medication for the purpose of gaining advantage in competition in today's show arena, the USEF leadership, in concert with the USEF Drugs & Medication and USEF Veterinary Committees, is soliciting information from stakeholders. Information gained in these forums will guide industry reform and regulation aimed at insuring the health and well being of the horse in our sport.

1 members found this post helpful.

Much though I would LOVE to think otherwise, I have to admit to a sinking feeling that essentially what these meetings will boil down to is everybody having to sit through a PowerPoint presentation by the D&M department to make sure we little people rly, rly, RLY understand Da Roolz and reminding us that the rules WILL be enforced against us while the one percenters get their usual free pass to skate right on past 'em.

I would LOVE to be wrong about this, but I will await reports from town halls earlier in the season before I rejoin USEF and drive all the way to KY.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Much though I would LOVE to think otherwise, I have to admit to a sinking feeling that essentially what these meetings will boil down to is everybody having to sit through a PowerPoint presentation by the D&M department to make sure we little people rly, rly, RLY understand Da Roolz and reminding us that the rules WILL be enforced against us while the one percenters get their usual free pass to skate right on past 'em.

I would LOVE to be wrong about this, but I will await reports from town halls earlier in the season before I rejoin USEF and drive all the way to KY.
    WA - I'm going to the one tomorrow night and will report back ASAP!

(I think you're probably right.)
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    WA - I'm going to the one tomorrow night and will report back ASAP!

(I think you're probably right.)
    Thank you VERY much, I'd truly appreciate it, and I'm sure a lot of other folks would too who are hesitant to attend for the same or similar reasons.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief