The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just a heads-up on the Seminole--while I think they have some great feeds, some of the Wellness line do have high NSCs even though they are labeled as low starch. It has been a few years, but from what I remember the Calm N' Cool is something like 40% NSC and yet it is marketed as low starch, which is misleading. I don't think Seminole publishes the NSC %s, but IIRC NSC = starch + WSC, yes? (I guess this assuming you have the WSC, lol.)

I'm currently feeding Seminole's regular Senior (not the Wellness line), which is a nice feed, so it's not like I'm just anti-Seminole. Look into the NSCs of any feed you are looking into before you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Look into the NSCs of any feed you are looking into before you buy it.
    Yes. 100%.

And thanks for giving us more info on the Seminole.

Hi
    First I want say thank you all for the replies.

RMH...This was my experience with my mare on Ultium. She was a calm horse that was shown a ton and a safe calm horse. I put her on Ultium because it was remmonanded and she looked great but turned into a totally nut. Always in heat,jumpy,spooky,pissy and so on. Since this was my first mare in 20 yrs of horse ownership I figured it was "just a mare thing" But I never concidered it a feed issue until you posted and my horse turned into exactly as you described.

Without sounded stupid can someone explain the NSC to me? I have always thought I was doing the best for them but clearly I am not up on feeds. I will only have one horse and having one I dont have to worry about cost of feed. And I want the best I can get.

So for the sake of this I want to be done with ultium for the reasons RMH stated and I dont want this horse to be that way ( I feel bad thinking I turned the mare into a nut thinking I was feeding something good for her) and I have easy access to Seminole feeds since I get my feed in Ocala anyway. What you be my best choice? This is the plan for this horse...He is only halter broke right now, 6 yr old stallion, he is going to be started under saddle as soon as we get the basics learned..i.e. learning to lounge,bathe,be groomed, then Ill will start gound driving him before the under saddle stuff starts. He is a white gray and thin skinned. If this helps.

Thank you guys for the help.

I am sorry if the above post is missing words its 345 AM and I have been at work for 14 hours and a bit tired.

Considering all of the seminole line just not the Wellness line though that line seems to have a lot of good stuff in it.

The Seminole Senior (not the wellness one) looks like it is a good feed, but I couldnt find the NSC value anywhere.

Hi there,

I'm not a feed guru but I live in the same area as you and all of our horses are easy keepers. Due to our poor sandy soil and the low protein in both the hay and pastures, I worry most about sufficient protein and minerals. I feed Enrich, but there are similar products. I also make sure they have access to good quality minerals. See what your vet says.

Hi
    Well I decided to go with Wellness Senior.... and added flax. Thank you for all the info we will see how he does on it since he is starting to work.