The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I didn't think she looked unsound on her videos, either. If she's sore, get some X-rays so that you at least have a full understanding of what is and what isn't going on.

A study was just released that found that the internal conformation of the hoof is just as important, if not more so, than external conformation in playing a role in soundness; I think that anyone hoping to event should X-ray the front feet at a minimum.

She's a good mover and super cute; get some radiographs and then you know whether it's time to hit the panic button or if it's something you can manage.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd have at least a partial evaluation done BEFORE shooting foot rads. Have the vet confirm that HE wants to do radiographs of the feet and that he doesn't think the horse has some other serious problem.

It would suck to shoot some foot rads, see nothing, get excited, and get further into evaluating the horse only to find some HUGE red flag that would have made you walk away without doing any rads, or without looking at the feet at all.

And I posted this on your other thread as well (hadn't seen this one) but there are some serious question marks in her race record that would make me very, very suspicious that she was injured when she stumbled and nearly went down in her last decent start. Proceed, but proceed with caution.

Good luck with the xrays! A good mare has no vices! (no matter how much they weave, crib, etc)

3 members found this post helpful.

Get the rads, and make sure they're done by a good lameness vet. Pedal Osteitis isn't always easy to diagnos. Ask me how I know Personally, if she's been sore since Oct., I would pass. Like Judysmom, and I believe some others above, you can't imagine the disappointment of trying to deal with seriously crappy feet. "No hoof, no horse". Especially - no event horse.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I'd pass.

I would be doing something now if not when you got her to get her soles of the ground. Some extra soft dental impression material and two hoof casts could really make her a lot happier and stop the inflamation cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Just watched the videos. That is a very nice mare and doesn't look obviously unsound. She absolutely looks worth doing a PPE on now. Perhaps she is just reactive to hoof testers. Fingers crossed her X-rays are not too bad. To me she looks like the type who will be worth putting some shoes on with pads and taking a chance on as long as her X-rays are not too horrible! Good Luck!
    I agree. I don't see an unsound horse. A lot of thin soled horses are positive to hoof testers. She's not shod right now, correct? She may be a world better with the proper shoes. Get the vet's opinion and the rads done for sure in case there is an obvious rule out. After that, the big advantage you have is the indefinite free lease. You can wait 3 months before making the purchase, see how she responds to shoes, hoof supplement and TLC, then purchase later if all goes well.

2 members found this post helpful.

she was rescued in October, her feet were so severly over-trimmed she could barely walk. She was barefoot and on concrete (and emaciated). She did not grow hoof for the first three months after rescue because of the shock/trauma to the hooves. Since then she's been in a bedded stall basically putting on weight and growing hoof. Her first shoeing was seven weeks ago (front only) because until that point she didn't have enough hoof to shoe! When my ferrier hoof tested her yesterday, she was pretty sore in both hinds and the left front.
    Given the history, this mare is doing very well, unfortunately only X-rays will indicate whether there have been permanent changes.

OP seems to really like this horse (despite all the practical reasons why she might send her back) so I'd set a budget for the vet visit & discuss with the vet where the money is best spent - after he sees the horse.

Here's a BEFORE (at the auction) / AFTER (yesterday) pic of her:

http://distilleryimage0.instagram.co...0a1f9be1_6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    I agree. I don't see an unsound horse. A lot of thin soled horses are positive to hoof testers. She's not shod right now, correct? She may be a world better with the proper shoes.
    She has shoes in front. Her first cycle since October was 7 weeks ago. I had my ferrier look at her the day after she arrived because I wanted to know about putting hinds on her, pads, etc. if needed and also get his opinion on the quality of her feet, hoof testing, etc.

I agree; I can't see the unsoundness, just soreness when hoof tested. I also didn't feel it when riding, and I'm pretty darn sensitive to horse's being "off" when I'm riding.

However, I'm going to go ahead and x-ray this Monday to find out more. If she has major problems, I'll send her back and have to recoup financially (and emotionally). I'm really in this little mare's corner!

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    I would be doing something now if not when you got her to get her soles of the ground. Some extra soft dental impression material and two hoof casts could really make her a lot happier and stop the inflamation cycle.
    She just arrived this Wednesday. I'm doing everything I can as quickly as I can. I had my ferrier out to see her the day after she arrived. I stopped buting and poulticing because I'm having the vet out Monday and I don't want to mask any symptoms. After that, if her rads look okay, I'll ask him about the impression material, boots, pads, different shoes, etc. that posters have mentioned and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    I'd pass.
    Because of the soreness or because of the whole history or does something else bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Get the rads, and make sure they're done by a good lameness vet. Pedal Osteitis isn't always easy to diagnos. Ask me how I know Personally, if she's been sore since Oct., I would pass. Like Judysmom, and I believe some others above, you can't imagine the disappointment of trying to deal with seriously crappy feet. "No hoof, no horse". Especially - no event horse.
    Oh man, sounds like you went through the ringer too. Weirdly, she doesn't have super "crappy feet." They're actually nicely shaped, esp. considering all the trauma they've been through. I didn't get a chance to take pics yesterday because it started to rain, but I'll try today. I know what you're saying, though, in the sense that sore feet = crappy feet. I totally agree! My vet says that the majority of soundness issues he deals with are below the pasterns.

I don't think she looks unsound in the video. She has come a long way. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Objectively I always say don't buy someone else's problem. But you know... sounds like she is perfect for you. Get on that PPE and I am jingling for clean films for you! She will be lucky to have you.

My two cents. Harsh, I know. I don't know why people do what they do, with rescues, or ottb. No foot, no horse. No matter how cheap, or expensive the horse is, you will be on foot more than you will be riding. And you will have vet bills that will end up more than than you say you have to buy a horse with. Doesn't matter how cute, or adorable, or how much you "love" her. You want to ride, don't you. You want to event don't you? Or do you want a, "let's see if I can make her sound" project.. You are starting out with problems. Walk away now. There are thousands of sound horses out there.

I would pass. Buy the horse you see that day, not what it might be, soundness wise that is. One thing I won't touch is a horse with soundness issues since it is to much of a crap shoot. Remember, no foot no horse.

I think some posters are missing the fact...the horse LOOKS and feels sound. The only reason the OP has some doubts is the mare reacted to hoof testers from her farrier. The horse could just be reactive to hoof testers (as a LOT of TBs can be). Or she could just have some sore feet....hell, I have one with that now who has been in a good farm for a year. It happens...and some TBs have sensitive feet, or pull shoes...or have a crappy trim job and it takes some time to get them right BUT it isn't a long term problem. Other horses can have perfect feet but Kissing spine....others can colic.

This is NOT a lame horse in my book, nor is it even a horse with crappy feet. This is a horse who a farrier got a reaction to hoof testers on....that is it. That is all the OP knows at this time. If they were on the East Coast...I'd be after this horse. My vet and PPE would let me know how much of a risk she is...and my farrier would work with my vet to improve her feet (as you have to do with just about every OTTB for a period of time).
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

9 members found this post helpful.

Default ..

This mare looks sound, happy and is well put together. She is moving very forwards, freely and easily on the lunge video. she is putting on weight and muscle in the right places. She looks very sparkly eyed. Those are the facts. This is not a horse in any sort of pain. She is moving fabolously. I like her lots.
    If she was in chronic long term pain, even the slightest thing, she wouldnt be moving forwards freely and happily, she wouldnt be putting on weight and muscle. She would be depressed, and would look cut and shut ( pain makes their conformation look all wrong).

Wouldnt worry about what the farrier is saying, farriers can get it so wrong a lot of the time, as do vets.

Im the sort of person that would take the above facts on board and wouldnt worry about a PPE, buy or lease the mare and just crack on.

Ive just had too many horses that have passed PPE's with the leading team vets in the UK and they havent lasted 5 minutes. I wouldnt even be bothering with xrays. Again, there are too many top class event horses around, sound and competing, and their xrays look horrific.

With horses you just have to take each horse as it comes and hope for the best. You can NEVER insure against anything. If a horse goes lame and retires, you just have to think, thats horses, put it to one side and move on to the next one. There's always another good horse around the corner that is affordable.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundTheBend View Post
    With horses you just have to take each horse as it comes and hope for the best. You can NEVER insure against anything. If a horse goes lame and retires, you just have to think, thats horses, put it to one side and move on to the next one. There's always another good horse around the corner that is affordable.
    huh, and what does one with limited resources 'do' with that horse??