The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 145
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Schedule it as a ppe tell him your main concern are her feet, do those rads first then go from there. Talk to your vet beforehand so they know her history and your concerns.
    If her rads look sketchy stop there and you'll be out a nominal amount of money. If they're good proceed with your ppe and see what comes up.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada - PNW
    Posts
    1,281

    Default

    When I did my last PPE, it was in stages. If the horse passes this stuff, move on to this stuff, and so forth. If pony fails at any point, stop and save me the money.

    Also, if the mare is sore up front, of course she's pushing from behind. She may not be inclined to move that way when sound.

    I'd pass. Buy sound, keep taking your time and find the right horse.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2007
    Location
    down south
    Posts
    5,062

    Default

    [QUOTE=blame_the_champagne;6877127]
    Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    If it was me and I really liked the horse I'd xray the 2 fronts. Really it shouldn't cost more than 250 to xray both feet and then you will know. I really don't see getting more attached to her by keeping her there and hoping she gets better. QUOTE]

    That's what I'm worried about too. I'd rather pull off the band-aid quickly.
    Logistically, though, does it make sense to pay a call fee for a vet to come out just to x-ray. If there's no obvious issues, would I then call the vet out a second time for a normal PPE? It doens't really make sense to do a PPE now, since she's sore, since it will just turn into a lameness exam, right?
    It does to me. Reason, I don't want to waste time putting training into a horse for a month or so and then to only find out I'm not going to keep her. A week is ok IMO and then I'd be on to the ppe or at least having those vet xrayed. Also if she does have any rotation or any issues with her coffin bone it's not going to do her any favors if you start working her when she needs to be rehabbed for it first and special shoes etc. Working them without addressing the problem can make it worse and to me that's not fair to the horse. She seems nice enough and if she's really that foot sore and isn't throwing you off she seems to have a good mind. I'd take care of the ppe after a week and go from there.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,997

    Default

    I'd talk to your friend about her picking up the call fee & you paying for X-rays

    I'm a little surprised that she's let the horse go out on a trial (& be ridden) when mare is still so sore.



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    So I called the vet and he's coming to the ranch this Monday for a different horse. Each rad is $50, plus a $40 set-up fee, and a $35 split call fee. Seperate $230 PPE fee if we continue on with a normal PPE. He estimated 2 views per foot, obviously starting with the worst and stopping at any dealbreaker rad. Looking at $500 plus if we go all the way around the feet and $700 plus if we go on with a PPE. Yikes. I have decision fatigue!!!



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

    I'm a little surprised that she's let the horse go out on a trial (& be ridden) when mare is still so sore.
    I don't think anyone realized she was still so sore. She doesn't look ouchy in turn-out or under saddle (I'm not a vet, of course, and I'm sure a more experienced person can see things I miss). Even my ferrier watched her in turn-out after the hoof test and said she doesn't look visibly unsound, which of course doesn't mean much in the end if the horse is, in fact, unsound.



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2004
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    I would have the vet out.

    IMO your farrier is not an x-ray, and however good he is that is still just conjecture.

    Keeping her for 2 months to wait and see will cost more, and mess with your mind more, than knowing up front. If the time/$ of keeping her a bit don't bother you, you could see if something else makes you want to return her first. But personally I couldn't deal with the uncertainty.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2005
    Location
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Posts
    3,162

    Default

    I think you should just wait to see what the vet finds. It could be just that she is thin soled and doesn't like having her feet squeezed with a hoof tester.

    I just don't think I'd call a horse lame that doesn't look or act lame in turnout or under saddle just based on hoof testers.

    Good Luck!
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 2007
    Posts
    1,012

    Default

    It's probably worth the few hundred dollars to find out what's going on, then a more educated decision can be made. Good luck!
    Last edited by Equine Studies; Mar. 8, 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Stupid phone
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
    So I called the vet and he's coming to the ranch this Monday for a different horse. Each rad is $50, plus a $40 set-up fee, and a $35 split call fee. Seperate $230 PPE fee if we continue on with a normal PPE. He estimated 2 views per foot, obviously starting with the worst and stopping at any dealbreaker rad. Looking at $500 plus if we go all the way around the feet and $700 plus if we go on with a PPE. Yikes. I have decision fatigue!!!
    Excellent! Now you should hopefully know one way or the other what you are looking at dealing with for the future. If all goes well, look into Durasole. It's a fabulous product for thin soled TBs. Keep us posted!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2000
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    If you were actually able to use the mare right now then the idea of a free lease for 6 more months might sound a lot better if I were in your shoes. As it is, unsound horses cost just as much to feed as a sound horse.

    If I were paying board on a risk like this (and truly they are all risks), I would just - as you say - pull the band-aid off quickly. I once bought a VERY nice OTTB that jumped a 10...he was unreal..I got him for not much money. And the reason I ended up with him was b/c the super BNT barns (he passed thru 2) couldn't keep him sound. I apparently drank some of the Walter Farley Kool-Aid and thought I'd it would be different with me. Shocker, it wasn't. And my money pit hadn't been starved, etc. I LOVED that horse but in the end, I had a horse I couldn't ride & couldn't keep sound...and no money left from vet/farrier to spend on something not as fancy but sound.

    Good luck w/your search whatever you decide to do with the mare.
    Last edited by Finzean; Mar. 8, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Grammar!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    13,783

    Default

    Just watched the videos. That is a very nice mare and doesn't look obviously unsound. She absolutely looks worth doing a PPE on now. Perhaps she is just reactive to hoof testers. Fingers crossed her X-rays are not too bad. To me she looks like the type who will be worth putting some shoes on with pads and taking a chance on as long as her X-rays are not too horrible! Good Luck!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2005
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Many many Thoroughbreds trimmed that short will be lame for months. Heck, they can be lame for months just coming out of shoes. So I personally would not jump to the conclusion that the horse has pedal osteitis. But I would probably x-ray the feet to see how much sole the horse has and whether there are any other factors at play. The other thing you could consider if continuing the free lease is an option and you really like the mare, is to just buy her a pair if Easyboots or such and see if she is sound in those. If not, it will still be months before she is sound and trainable, so I would send her back. If she IS sound in boots you can ride and train her for a month or two while she grows more foot, then decide whether the feet are coming along and if you still need/want a PPE if she is consistently sound in work.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2007
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Or here's another thought: Since you're in southern CA, call Leigh Gray, the president of the Thoroughbred Rehab Center, Inc. and see what she's got. (Full disclosure: I'm on her board.) I know that right now she's got several nice horses. And, if you want to do a PPE, there's a vet onsite. BTW, we just had 11 of our graduates competing last weekend at the Twin Rivers HT (novice thru advanced).
    Cindy


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2004
    Location
    Whidbey Is, Wash.
    Posts
    10,656

    Default

    Cost just as much to feed a lame horse as it does a sound one.

    Sez me, who fed a lame horse for seven years and would happily still be feeding her if she were here.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

    "I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    12,100

    Default

    Have gambled and won. Have gambled and lost, big time, broke my heart. Still gambling.

    Carefully!!!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    12,071

    Default

    He has a seperate PPE fee? What does that include?

    I've had basic lameness evals done which run me about $100 - $140 for lunge, jog, flexions, neuro test before I get into X rays.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Dec. 30, 2010
    Posts
    154

    Default

    PM'd you a contact with some prospects in your range....



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2004
    Location
    South Park
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    She is being advertised on Facebook as 100% sound and having been "fully checked over by Dr Sullivan. " What did the seller have to say when you brought up your concerns?
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2007
    Posts
    432

    Default

    you said you rode her and she was sound, plus she looks sound for a green horse trotting in a little circle...maybe she just needs to be in shoes? I would check to see if she has this condition your farrier brought up because I like her a lot.



Similar Threads

  1. Barn drama spinoff - lesson student drama
    By vacation1 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: Dec. 10, 2014, 02:29 PM
  2. skinny horse ad....how to proceed?
    By spacytracy in forum Off Course
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jul. 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
  3. Drama Queen Horse
    By europa in forum Dressage
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun. 5, 2012, 09:34 AM
  4. Not sure how to proceed with my horse...
    By bogie78 in forum Eventing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May. 3, 2010, 04:53 PM
  5. Horse Drama Need Help
    By LoveMyTB in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Jan. 5, 2010, 09:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness