The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Schedule it as a ppe tell him your main concern are her feet, do those rads first then go from there. Talk to your vet beforehand so they know her history and your concerns.
    If her rads look sketchy stop there and you'll be out a nominal amount of money. If they're good proceed with your ppe and see what comes up.

4 members found this post helpful.

When I did my last PPE, it was in stages. If the horse passes this stuff, move on to this stuff, and so forth. If pony fails at any point, stop and save me the money.

Also, if the mare is sore up front, of course she's pushing from behind. She may not be inclined to move that way when sound.

I'd pass. Buy sound, keep taking your time and find the right horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=blame_the_champagne;6877127]
    Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    If it was me and I really liked the horse I'd xray the 2 fronts. Really it shouldn't cost more than 250 to xray both feet and then you will know. I really don't see getting more attached to her by keeping her there and hoping she gets better. QUOTE]

That's what I'm worried about too. I'd rather pull off the band-aid quickly.
    Logistically, though, does it make sense to pay a call fee for a vet to come out just to x-ray. If there's no obvious issues, would I then call the vet out a second time for a normal PPE? It doens't really make sense to do a PPE now, since she's sore, since it will just turn into a lameness exam, right?
    It does to me. Reason, I don't want to waste time putting training into a horse for a month or so and then to only find out I'm not going to keep her. A week is ok IMO and then I'd be on to the ppe or at least having those vet xrayed. Also if she does have any rotation or any issues with her coffin bone it's not going to do her any favors if you start working her when she needs to be rehabbed for it first and special shoes etc. Working them without addressing the problem can make it worse and to me that's not fair to the horse. She seems nice enough and if she's really that foot sore and isn't throwing you off she seems to have a good mind. I'd take care of the ppe after a week and go from there.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I'd talk to your friend about her picking up the call fee & you paying for X-rays

I'm a little surprised that she's let the horse go out on a trial (& be ridden) when mare is still so sore.

So I called the vet and he's coming to the ranch this Monday for a different horse. Each rad is $50, plus a $40 set-up fee, and a $35 split call fee. Seperate $230 PPE fee if we continue on with a normal PPE. He estimated 2 views per foot, obviously starting with the worst and stopping at any dealbreaker rad. Looking at $500 plus if we go all the way around the feet and $700 plus if we go on with a PPE. Yikes. I have decision fatigue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

I'm a little surprised that she's let the horse go out on a trial (& be ridden) when mare is still so sore.
    I don't think anyone realized she was still so sore. She doesn't look ouchy in turn-out or under saddle (I'm not a vet, of course, and I'm sure a more experienced person can see things I miss). Even my ferrier watched her in turn-out after the hoof test and said she doesn't look visibly unsound, which of course doesn't mean much in the end if the horse is, in fact, unsound.

I would have the vet out.

IMO your farrier is not an x-ray, and however good he is that is still just conjecture.

Keeping her for 2 months to wait and see will cost more, and mess with your mind more, than knowing up front. If the time/$ of keeping her a bit don't bother you, you could see if something else makes you want to return her first. But personally I couldn't deal with the uncertainty.

I think you should just wait to see what the vet finds. It could be just that she is thin soled and doesn't like having her feet squeezed with a hoof tester.

I just don't think I'd call a horse lame that doesn't look or act lame in turnout or under saddle just based on hoof testers.

Good Luck!
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

It's probably worth the few hundred dollars to find out what's going on, then a more educated decision can be made. Good luck!
    Last edited by Equine Studies; Mar. 8, 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Stupid phone
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Quote Originally Posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
    So I called the vet and he's coming to the ranch this Monday for a different horse. Each rad is $50, plus a $40 set-up fee, and a $35 split call fee. Seperate $230 PPE fee if we continue on with a normal PPE. He estimated 2 views per foot, obviously starting with the worst and stopping at any dealbreaker rad. Looking at $500 plus if we go all the way around the feet and $700 plus if we go on with a PPE. Yikes. I have decision fatigue!!!
    Excellent! Now you should hopefully know one way or the other what you are looking at dealing with for the future. If all goes well, look into Durasole. It's a fabulous product for thin soled TBs. Keep us posted!

2 members found this post helpful.

If you were actually able to use the mare right now then the idea of a free lease for 6 more months might sound a lot better if I were in your shoes. As it is, unsound horses cost just as much to feed as a sound horse.

If I were paying board on a risk like this (and truly they are all risks), I would just - as you say - pull the band-aid off quickly. I once bought a VERY nice OTTB that jumped a 10...he was unreal..I got him for not much money. And the reason I ended up with him was b/c the super BNT barns (he passed thru 2) couldn't keep him sound. I apparently drank some of the Walter Farley Kool-Aid and thought I'd it would be different with me. Shocker, it wasn't. And my money pit hadn't been starved, etc. I LOVED that horse but in the end, I had a horse I couldn't ride & couldn't keep sound...and no money left from vet/farrier to spend on something not as fancy but sound.

Good luck w/your search whatever you decide to do with the mare.
    Last edited by Finzean; Mar. 8, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Grammar!

2 members found this post helpful.

Just watched the videos. That is a very nice mare and doesn't look obviously unsound. She absolutely looks worth doing a PPE on now. Perhaps she is just reactive to hoof testers. Fingers crossed her X-rays are not too bad. To me she looks like the type who will be worth putting some shoes on with pads and taking a chance on as long as her X-rays are not too horrible! Good Luck!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

5 members found this post helpful.

Many many Thoroughbreds trimmed that short will be lame for months. Heck, they can be lame for months just coming out of shoes. So I personally would not jump to the conclusion that the horse has pedal osteitis. But I would probably x-ray the feet to see how much sole the horse has and whether there are any other factors at play. The other thing you could consider if continuing the free lease is an option and you really like the mare, is to just buy her a pair if Easyboots or such and see if she is sound in those. If not, it will still be months before she is sound and trainable, so I would send her back. If she IS sound in boots you can ride and train her for a month or two while she grows more foot, then decide whether the feet are coming along and if you still need/want a PPE if she is consistently sound in work.

3 members found this post helpful.

Or here's another thought: Since you're in southern CA, call Leigh Gray, the president of the Thoroughbred Rehab Center, Inc. and see what she's got. (Full disclosure: I'm on her board.) I know that right now she's got several nice horses. And, if you want to do a PPE, there's a vet onsite. BTW, we just had 11 of our graduates competing last weekend at the Twin Rivers HT (novice thru advanced).
    Cindy

3 members found this post helpful.

Cost just as much to feed a lame horse as it does a sound one.

Sez me, who fed a lame horse for seven years and would happily still be feeding her if she were here.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Have gambled and won. Have gambled and lost, big time, broke my heart. Still gambling.

Carefully!!!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

He has a seperate PPE fee? What does that include?

I've had basic lameness evals done which run me about $100 - $140 for lunge, jog, flexions, neuro test before I get into X rays.

PM'd you a contact with some prospects in your range....

She is being advertised on Facebook as 100% sound and having been "fully checked over by Dr Sullivan. " What did the seller have to say when you brought up your concerns?
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

you said you rode her and she was sound, plus she looks sound for a green horse trotting in a little circle...maybe she just needs to be in shoes? I would check to see if she has this condition your farrier brought up because I like her a lot.