The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

You need to buy a sound horse. There's just too much risk otherwise. I know you've spent a lot of your budget on PPEs that didn't yield you a horse, but just think how expensive that horse will feel if you're paying board month after month, year after year, on a horse you cannot ride.

Wait for a sound horse. Not perfection, of course, just relative soundness.

I was hoping she was that horse. Maybe the next one...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
    She flexed positive in both distal limbs, so we started with front x-rays. She has moderate pedal osteitis in both front feet. We stopped at that point and did not move on to hinds, but vet suspects same story there. So sad. She is perfect otherwise. I really wanted to give this mare a second career and a loving forever home. Is horse shopping normally filled with so much disappointment? I feel like this is getting ridiculous.
    I'm so sorry. I wish I could help you but from here to Calif. the shipping would be too costly. I have no contacts out there or any knowledge about tracks and trainers. I can only say good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing your next find.

1 members found this post helpful.

What a stinker. I'm so sorry. I honestly thought she'd be OK and you could move forward with your equine endeavors. : (

Yes, horse shopping can be filled with A LOT of disappointment.
    My best bud is in the process now. The 1st horse she vetted showed up to the vetting lame.
    The 2nd had a major heart issue.
    And the others she's tried either had psycho owners/sellers or they were not able to agree on one aspect or another..

I think when you go searching for the PERFECT horse it's much harder and takes much longer.
    Those who just buy on the fly seem to have a little less emotional stress and the process is pretty fast.

My gray horse was my heart horse. He was a trade out because the horse that I originally purchased didn't work out. The only thing that I could trade for was this stupid ugly gray gelding. The entire drive back to the farm I kept saying to my friend, "April, I'm not putting that [blanking] gray gelding in my trailer".
    I hated geldings at that point, and I sure didn't want gray. For the first 6 months I didn't even name him. I just called him "stupid gray gelding". He ended up being the light of my life.

My new pookie pie was a buy on the fly too. Saw him on facebook Sunday PM, drove 3 hours and bought him Mon AM. I didn't test him out long enough to know much of anything except that he was DEAD quiet. And DEAD quiet is re sellable. Turns out he's the most adorable creature in the whole world and I love him to death.

I learned long ago from horse shopping with the assistant trainer of the group I used to ride with that horse shopping works out best when you go looking NOT for the love of your life but a horse that you know you can resell if you need too.
    Because let's face it, we really don't know much about a horse off of a few rides. We just hope that the horse we take home is who we think he/she is.
    Sometimes 6 months or a year down the road we find out that maybe it's not a good match...
    Or--maybe that horse you bought turns into the love of your life.
    : )

chin up and good luck!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I'm sorry that horse shopping hasn't worked out for you yet.

that horse shopping works out best when you go looking NOT for the love of your life but a horse that you know you can resell if you need too.
    This is so true, I bought my current horse with the intention to resell, but due to circumstances with my other horse, he's now being kept as my primary horse. I know I could resell him, sound, big, nice mover, etc. and I love him now, but he definitely isn't what I would have chosen for myself.

Is horse shopping normally filled with so much disappointment? I feel like this is getting ridiculous.
    It seems so... I am horse shopping too and I feel the exact same way. Its so heartbreaking.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I am so sorry, OP, that your sweet mare looks like a bad bet. It's so danged hard.

But a horse who is sound and doing the discipline you want, happily, at the level you want, is no guarantee either. That's what I got 5 years ago, and I got 1 year of happy successful riding, followed by 4 of veterinary mystery roulette. Now she's the sweetest retiree ever. No guarantees in horses, of any kind.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

3 members found this post helpful.

U-Haul rents trailers if you don't already have one. Enterprise rents a truck that can tow one. I suggest a road trip up to Canada. My first horse had pedal osteitis. I was able to keep him MINIMALLY sound for about four years at novice/training before he had to quit jumping all together, and I was spending a fortune for the specialty shoes.

I wonder whether your mare's lovely movement might be a result of her rocking back and using her hind end more to compensate for a sore front end?
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I wonder whether your mare's lovely movement might be a result of her rocking back and using her hind end more to compensate for a sore front end?
    not likely. I've dealt with horses with sore front feet and they do not move like that. Pedal Osteitis is just a very general term used to describe findings on xrays. Not all horses who have it are the same. The question is what caused the Pedal Osteitis. Some horses will fully recover and not need anything special, some can be maintained with it and compete at a high level.....and others you can not keep comfortable even doing trail work.

What makes this mare a risk is that she has Pedal Osteitis and OP can not be sure why. It could be that she will not have any long term issues at all....or she could be a heart breaker. Not a problem worth buying into...but the reason this mare moved so nice is because she is a nice mare and wasn't sore in the good footing. Doesn't mean she will hold up for eventing.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    I would pass. Those are way to many red flags at least for me. Where in CA are you? Would you be willing to travel to BC?
    I'm in Southern California (Santa Clarita). If by BC you mean British Columbia, I think that might be a bit far at this point in the search. However, if you have something amazing in mind I'd love to see pictures and videos galore and then go from there. I'm staying open-minded to whatever might come my way. Thanks for thinking of me!

Thank you all for the feedback and encouragement. This thread has been a huge help! I appreciate your time and experience. XOXO

Also, if you know of something in So Cal that might be suitable, please PM me.

I'm in Southern California (Santa Clarita). If by BC you mean British Columbia, I think that might be a bit far at this point in the search. However, if you have something amazing in mind I'd love to see pictures and videos galore and then go from there. I'm staying open-minded to whatever might come my way. Thanks for thinking of me!
    I know someone in that area who has access to finding amazing horses be it straight from the track or with some preschool that are in your price point. Let me know and I will contact her

Silly question, but have you looked at the CA listings for CANTER?

This guy is already started back under saddle and going over poles and banks: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=281

cute mare, also already started o/f: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=281

In N. CA, but gorgeous: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ings&Itemid=61

And, my personal favorite due to his bloodlines, also already restarted and going over fences: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ings&Itemid=61

I just pulled those off a quick look through the page.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Silly question, but have you looked at the CA listings for CANTER?
    I'm so surprised that Prince of Gotham is still there!
    He was listed at a higher price but now he's gelded

ETA: also really like Toe Tap - definitely worth asking for video
    Last edited by alto; Mar. 14, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

[QUOTE=alto;6885640]I'm so surprised that Prince of Gotham is still there!
    QUOTE]

I've heard from a jockey / OTTB rescue connection that Gotham won't vet, but I agree that he's absolutely gorgeous.

[QUOTE=blame_the_champagne;6885763]
    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'm so surprised that Prince of Gotham is still there!
    QUOTE]

I've heard from a jockey / OTTB rescue connection that Gotham won't vet, but I agree that he's absolutely gorgeous.

I guess I would not trust rumor word of mouth. If you like him, I'd look at him and others (and find out the specifics). It could be he will not vet for a high level or had a minor issue that has been addressed. There is a big difference in what they look like months off the track than right on the track. And a horse that might not vet while still racing can vet just fine a few months later.

But regardless...there certainly seem to be a lot of nice ones to choose from on the West Coast!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

that's what I "heard" too - except it was about a different "Gotham" ... if he's close, I'd go see him, and Bien's Gift too (Norcal so you might ask for updated video)

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    that's what I "heard" too - except it was about a different "Gotham" ... if he's close, I'd go see him, and Bien's Gift too (Norcal so you might ask for updated video)
    IIRC, there were TWO Gotham horses listed on the CA page originally. It's entirely possible that it was the other one... I didn't list him just because I remembered his price being pretty high as a colt and figured it had probably gone up since he's been gelded and restarted now. I could be wrong.

Regardless, if I had the cash and didn't already have a barn full and a baby planned, I'd be roadtripping to CA to see Toe Tap like yesterday. He has Pleasant Colony pretty close up on his dam's side, and I lust after nearly every PC bred horse I've found so far (including JER's new one, Star Colony). Absolutely fabulous temperament, super athletic, big-boned horses with nice movement. My own PC-bred horse is 15 this year and still going strong, even after 42 starts on the track.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

See if you can't line up a trip to see some at or just off the track. Sometimes the one that strikes your fancy is not the one you came to see. Always good to have a few to compare so you don't fall blindly in love with a single offering.

Bummer about the mare but....having boarded a single horse out for over 40 years? Better now then later. The few times I was keeping extras for various reasons? Drained the checkbook pretty quick to the point I did not care what the reason I ended up with 2 or 3 was- I couldn't wait to get out from under.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;6885789]

I guess I would not trust rumor word of mouth. If you like him, I'd look at him and others (and find out the specifics). It could be he will not vet for a high level or had a minor issue that has been addressed. There is a big difference in what they look like months off the track than right on the track. And a horse that might not vet while still racing can vet just fine a few months
    I completely agree. Also, the head of CANTER CA is a really nice and honest person. You could certainly contact her for good insight. I'm sure she'd tell you everything she knows about that horse and others they have listed.

ooo.
    Go get Toe Tap.
    me likey!!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!