The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good quality c/s dressage bridle without flash?

I'm looking to buy a good-quality cob-size dressage bridle (no bling) without a flash. Dover advertised an Anky, but the c/s is no longer being made! Any advice? I perused other threads here and found a similar one, but everyone recommended an Albion, which seems to be available only in the UK. I'm in the US.

I have a few bridles bought out of ebay, from a uk seller. The brand is FSS.

I've had them for about 8 years, have used them on a huge variety of horses so they have quite a bit or wear. They look absolutely new!

The seller has them available in pretty much any size and model so you can buy exactly what you want, they are very affordable and the quality is excellent.

what is your max budget? For the under 100 I like crown. I either have a flash or cut of the loop so I can't speak to buying one with out.

Not impressed with my Kieffer bridle, sorry, but others like this brand. Have you tried Smart Pak?

How about Bobby's? Rock horse ranch has many options.

Red barn is also a nice option and I've had my eye on the Warendorf from Dover ($250).

1 members found this post helpful.

Bobby's is a good mid-range, and for nicer quality look at Elevator in the UK. Also, Smith Worthington has a new line with a few price points.

Here are a few links. I've ordered from the UK several times, and never had an issue. Keep in mind that you won't pay VAT, so it generally offsets some of the shipping costs.

Elevator - http://www.elevatorbridles.com/produ...on-bridle.html

Smith Worthington - http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=592
    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=587

Dressage Deluxe has one that's similar to the Elevator - http://www.dressagedeluxe.co.uk/Shop...de=vp&pid=1475

Schneiders has one with a fold away flash - http://www.sstack.com/English_Bridle...ssage-Bridle/#

And look at Just Bridles - Ovation might work - http://www.justbridles.com/index.php...id=10&parent=2

Give us a price range, and we can probably narrow it down a bit more

I like the Crown bridlework from Dover's. The leather quality is good & it comes in many different styles.

Bobby's is CHEAP DRY INDIAN LEATHER CRAP. Bought one online once & SENT IT RIGHT BACK IMMEDIATELY.

Hope this helps.

Get any one you like with a flash. Then take a nice sharp razor blade and cut it off. Easy to do. I believe in 'customizing' my equipment to suit my liking!

I got an awesome dressage bridle from Schneider's Saddlery (online); it has a flash that you can take off, and the piece of leather that holds the flash can be hidden inside the noseband. You never see it, but you still have the ability to use a flash if you want one later.

I have the ovation from Just Bridles and it's been great. I got the one with the removable flash because most of the time I don't want to use a flash. The leather is soft and a good quality.

Jerrys Harness Shop
    They are more expensive, but the leather is fabulous and they can be custon/semi-custom to any horse. Love mine.

I really love my Ovation Avalon bridle. The flash on it is completely removable (no little leather tag hanging off the noseband). Cob size fits my TB really well. It does have a crank noseband, but it is very cushy and I never adjust mine tight. Also has a true padded mono crown which I love!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Schneiders has one with a fold away flash - http://www.sstack.com/English_Bridle...ssage-Bridle/#
    I've been drooling at this bridle for more than a year. It has everything I want. Padded crown, no bulky buckles at the bit, removable flash, and it's refined enough for my petite Tb's head. My current bridle is showing signs of wear...Maybe now I can get it without remorse!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I have both the FSS and Rhinegold which I've always purchased from the UK. Both have lasted a few years, are still in really good shape and actually fit my Welsh Cobs.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Courbette had lovely leather when I bought 10 years ago. But I think price for bridle, no reins was $200. I could special order whatever style I wanted through the tack store (was Champion Tack in Doswell VA, they have an online store) They offered raised leather, flat leather, flash no flash, hook ends, buckle ends and etc.

I love my Passier bridle! Its super refined and the flash is an attachment that comes off. Here's a pic of it.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

I'm willing to pay up to about $200. I did look at SmartPak after I submitted this thread and found this Plymouth Elite that looks pretty good! Does anyone have any experience with it?

This was supposed to be in response to SendenHorse; I tried to include her quote, but it didn't work. I'm still getting used to the system.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I'll work my way through and see what I can find. The horse I'm buying for is an Arab with an extremely refined head, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I've been drooling at this bridle for more than a year. It has everything I want. Padded crown, no bulky buckles at the bit, removable flash, and it's refined enough for my petite Tb's head. My current bridle is showing signs of wear...Maybe now I can get it without remorse!
    I really like that! It may indeed be the answer for my little Arab! Thank you.

Check out Jeffries, too. I have the Wembley snaffle with plain caveson. I believe I paid $119 US and that was with rubber reins.

http://www.ejeffries.co.uk/products/132382/Bridles

For the price, the Plymouth bridles are very nice... but they aren't going to compare at all to the mid- and upper-range stuff, because they're so inexpensive. I got one of the regular plymouth flash bridles a few years ago for $50, and used it for about 1.5 years before I got a nice new Red Barn. But even after that time, it is in good enough condition that I would be confident using it at a show. I still keep it as my back up bridle.

My trainer has one of the Ankys, and it is gorgeous... MUCH nicer than SPak's Plymouths.

I'd suggest looking at the Stubben bridles... they offer a lot of options that complement a refined head and don't have a flash, plus they will last FOREVER. Most should be comparable price-wise to the Anky.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Henri De Rivel Dressage Bridle @ State Line
    $69
    Horse/Cob/Warmblood
    with or w/out flash
    Black or Black w/white

I have a few of them.
    Very satisified w/the quality.
    Can't beat the price...