The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Catahoula/Maremma cross ???

While visiting a friend today, I was accosted by two puppies. Owner tells me they are a cross between a Catahoula Leopard Dog and Maremma. Cute as can be at 8 weeks old. One is all black except for some silver shading on the tips of his paws and on his chest, the other is mostly silver with some black. Did I say adorable? My question is this: what could one expect from a cross like this? The pups have different personalities, the silver one is more playful and in-your-face, the black is very attentive, but slightly withdrawn... he can easily be brought into play, but when not actively engaged sits by himself and "watches". Just curious as to what these pups could ultimately become.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Hardheaded very athletic unsocial guard dogs. that might or might not eat what they're guarding, or the neighbor. That cross would not generate an easy dog by any means.

4 members found this post helpful.

Agreed! Add independent thinker who will decide on his own how much territory he will protect, and who's allowed and who's not. Which animals need culling or protected. No matter your preference

Admire those pups from afar and save yourself from the stress and heartbreak.

Btw, I am presently owned by a wonderful catahoula farm dog. Even if she wasn't spayed, Maremma would NOT be on my list to cross her with! JMHO as always.
    HRMT

2 members found this post helpful.

I thought it a rather odd matching... but did I mention how darned cute they are?????? But instinct won out when offered one.... I came home without.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Good thinkin'
    HRMT

That would be my idea of "ONE TOUGH DOG"!!! Either breed alone is tough, but now you add size to tough and independent, too!! I love my Great Pyrenes, but the flock guardian dogs march to their own drummer...and they are fast and capable of damage!! A lion cub is too cute, but grows up!! I think you made the right descision!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.