The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aiken - fun things to do the (gasp) non-horsey family members would enjoy?

Hi,

Heading through Aiken in a couple of weeks with the (non-horsey) family and we are spending a couple of days in Aiken. Husband and 18 year old son. We like doing just about anything (legal).

Looking for recommendations for good (and healthy!) places to eat (breakfast, lunch and dinner) as well as must-see or must-do activities.

All "insider tips to Aiken"' are appreciated!

Thanks...

I just got back from Aiken on Sunday. I didn't want to come back. It was still cold and windy but a nice break. Of course in MA you have that dirty word - snow.

Augusta, GA is about 20 miles away from Aiken so there are options there.

For the sushi lovers there is TakoSushi. It is a fusion of sushi and mexican. Reasonabley healthy.

I went hiking in Hitchcock woods and loved it. Yes it is horsefriendly but nice for families to hike. My dog had a blast eating poop. He was on a leash in the park but I used a long leash and a lead rope. That way he could run but I could pull him back when horses were on trail.

We mostly cooked every night at the condo to save money.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Good botanical gardens, historic society.
    A morning at the training track, and an awesome breakfast at the track kitchen, is interesting horsey/nonhorsey.
    There's a super Cuban place downtown.
    There's an excellent hippie style cafe - the Blue Moon Cafe. They do breakfast lunch and dinner (carry out, I believe, for dinner.)
    There's many historic antebellum houses, many open for touring, but just as serenely interesting to do a drive around town half a day or so.
    There's plantation shooting, I believe, nearby if there are gun hunters in the group.
    There are many super thrift shops if that interests anybody.
    I agree to hiking around the woods - there's a Sand River that is a natural wonder, and lots of excellent specimen trees, wildlife, pretty and serene, and smack downtown.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.