The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bought 2, sold one, and found another for a friend.

In my experience, you're more likely to find one for sale from a family that doesn't quite know how to value a used trailer, and think it depreciates similar to a car. AKA bargains!!

1 members found this post helpful.

OP if you are searching on craigslist try both trailer and trailor. I see that particular misspelling "alot".

I helped a friend buy one off CL last summer. We did not post a wanted ad, just looked through and responded to the ones already listed that looked like what she wanted.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Bought, sold, and passed on numerous trailers on CL. Great for finding deals and laughing at a super high priced trailers, but seeing them drop in price weeks later.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I sold a trailer on CL and it was a painless, easy process. I think the only thing that would make me nervous about buying one would be assessing the condition of the frame and floor.

Thank you everyone! The trailer I am looking for may be tough to find. I want an all aluminum 2+1 w/DR (door in DR to horse area). I am also a bit picky as to brand. I want either a 4 Star, Eby, Jamco, Adam, Hawk, Equispirit, Merhow, Turnbow, C&C or similar quality. Not alot out there and when they appear they are snapped up quickly. Plus, I do not want to pay a fortune for one, but want one in excellent condition. At least I have a very nice trailer now (Exiss 2H str. load GN/DR) that is practically new. If I don't find what I'm looking for at least I have a great trailer. So to advertise for a wanted and also to sell, what is a good example of an ad. PS: This is not an ad. I seriously need to explore all internet options to find the trailer I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Maude; Mar. 16, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Have you looked at Horse Trailer World?
    http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/newhome.asp
    Found this Eby there.
    http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=440073

Just go to the search box, put in the manufacturer and 2+1 for size.

You might also look at Turnbow and Merhow. Used, if you can find a C&C, you'd have struck gold.

The trailer you want is going to be expensive.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I bought my Hawk 2+1 with a DR off of CL very recently. It was several states away. Seller had good photos, I spoke to them on the phone to hash out details and extra questions, and my husband drove to pick it up. Price was almost too good to be true, and I LOVE the trailer, super happy!!

Agree on adding Turnbow, Merhow and the others to your list. Hawk and Equispirit also make a nice 2+1 style.
    The 2+1's are out there, it may just take some time and patience to find it.

Vineyridge, The Eby you posted is very nice, but a bit too much $$ and does not have a DR door to the horse area. Thank you though!
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Watch the stall sizing on the +1 section. Many of the ones listed are deceiving. There are alot that should just be described as a 2Horse with the front ramp/ unload. The Eby posted would not be one I'd consider if looking for a true 2+1. Not enough room for that horse to be separated from the rear animals.

Finding this style under 20k will be a challenge. FYI.

I found my trailer on Craigslist and got it for a steal. I looked for 6-8 months and waited for the right thing to come along at the right price. Its a 1992 Trailet 2-horse gooseneck with a dressing room - 7'6" height, aluminum. I got it for $3k. I love my trailer and had a very good experience buying it from the seller. It was located about 2 hours away from me - not bad!