The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Trailer-Craigslist?

Has anyone here bought a horse trailer on Craigslist? I just joined and posted a wanted ad. I'd love to hear Craigslist success stories. I know there are cons out there too. I have no clue how the whole thing works, but...seems like it is worth a shot and it doesn't cost anything.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I'm confused by your post...why is Craigslist different than any other classifieds service? What don't you understand about "how the whole thing works?"

ANY trailer that you go look at needs to be gone over by a knowledgable person.

1 members found this post helpful.

I did! There was some issues with the title transfer (seller had it incorrectly registered in NJ) but she worked with me and eventually we got everything straightened out. Love my trailer and got a great deal. So make sure the title is ok, especially if it is not registered in PA.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow. It's the second one I've bought off of craigslist.org, and I'll be putting my other one up for sale there soon. I'm driving 4 hours based on the ad/pics and talking to the seller. I hope it's as it seems!
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

BTW, be prepared for quite a few scammers when you first put an ad on craigslist. Annoying, but I like to lead them on sometimes when I have the time -- it's fun to waste theirs. I even got one to overnight me a fake check! Glad I could cost him a couple of bucks
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

5 members found this post helpful.

I've bought and sold a horse trailer on Craigslist. Both times = all good!

I do a lot of purchasing and selling of things of CL. I have had great success with everything.
    Do beware of the scammers... If it doesn't feel right in your gut don't pursue that deal!!!! Trust your first instincts.

NEVER go look at something alone. If you must be alone, have them meet you in a heavily crowded area like a mall or Walmart parking lot.

Good Luck!

My question should not be confusing. Maybe I should simplify it. I am interested in hearing success stories from those of you who were able to find the trailer you were looking for on Craigslist. I don't do internet sales/purchases other than stores and 2 ebay purchases. I am not familiar with internet classifieds. Thanks.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

My husband is retired from law enforcement so I am well aware of scammers and phishers. I think I have one now on a saddle I posted for sale. Any time I receive an email from someone who has a first and last name that is a first name i.e. John David, William Henry, etc, I am suspect. Usually a nigerian scammer. I'll wait and see. Wish I had free time to play with him/her. it could be entertaining. I'd never meet anyone anywhere but a public place and never give out any personal information.

Yes, my trailer was purchased from Craig's List (local) and it was a good experience. In fact, when I first responded, the seller indicated they already had a buyer and I just indicated to let me know if things changed. Two days later "things changed"...the original buyer, um...didn't have any money. I viewed the trailer during a lunch break and made arrangements to purchase it a couple days later. The seller even had it inspected prior to my picking it up and accompanied me to AAA to do the title work.

But like anything...one must always take precautions when purchasing something from folks you don't know. And "scam" trailer ads usually have some good clues in the language, terms and the all-to-often "price too good to be true". Sometimes the photos will also give clues that something is amiss, but not always. Buyer beware.

I found my trailer on CL, liked what I saw in pictures/talking to seller, arranged to look at it the following weekend (3 hours away), went, looked, liked, bought, transfered title, and drove it home without functional brakes lol. Took it to get the brakes fixed and be inspected the next week then it was good to go.

It was definitely a good experience! Trailer was almost new and seller just wanted to get rid of it, and was actually willing to negotiate an already-great price, so it really worked out well for me (as a teen! buying my own trailer. I'm sure I had the biggest stupid grin on my face the whole drive home.)

I have bought and sold many trailers on craigslist. All but one time was positive! Just a little additional advise, make sure the title matches the VIN number on the trailer, and that the title matches the trailer description. Long story short but we ended up with a camper that had the VIN number plate swapped out to match the title we were given. Only found out it was stolen after having so much trouble tagging it because the back of the title wasn't completely filled out. If it had been filled out we would be towing a stolen camper as the county clerk never even suspected a problem. Finally I crawled under the camper being suspicious only to find the real VIN. But those sellers are in jail right now so hurry and buy before they are out. Kidding, usually the process is very smooth. You can also call your local police department to have them run a search with the VIN number to make sure it has not been reported stolen. But note if it's stolen they will be there in a flash!
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

I bought a really damn nice horse off of Craigslist. It's just a place to buy and sell stuff. Like the washer and the table & chairs I'm currently trying to sell

I love Craislist! Keep you wits about you, but great deals are there for the taking!

I bought my trailer there too. I drove to look at it, liked it, came back a few days later with cash and some borrowed plates, and drove it home.

Default Another CL Question

Is there a way to search multiple locations rather than put in each city individually? There are quite a lot within driving distance.

allofcraigs.com I use this for stuff I don't mind shipping.

ETA: I guess it's called Ad Hunt'r now, but the address above still works and links you there. I forgot about that when I was saddle shopping.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I got a deal on mine. It had not been used much, four horse, large dressing room, and had been for sale for several months. I got it for half of the new price and it is in excellent shape.

Like anything, take your time, ask questions, and double check your paperwork.

Yep, just bought mine from CL. Be as descriptive as you can, because folks like me put in specific criteria in the search box. Brand, year, size tires, length, width, height, material (steel, alum, etc.) floors, etc, etc.

Get GREAT pics of a clean, washed trailer.

Oops, re-read post, you are LOOKING for a trailer. (folks selling one on CL, see above lol)

Get the above info from the ad makers on CL before you go look. Get better pics first if they are junky on CL.

The guy I bought my trailer from was one of those 'don't judge a book by it's cover'.....On the phone he was really nice and helpful, very TX sounding (yeah, we're in TX). Just sounded like the cowboy down the road.

Get there, and he's got these spectacular rigs (not the one I bought, mine was the spare 'around town' trailer ), expensive cutting horses, indoor arena, etc....owns two ranches, airplanes, etc....wearing a dirty workshirt and jeans. Still a real nice guy. The pics of the trailer he posted were so-so, but good enough. Ya just can't tell from pics. lol
    Last edited by Melelio; Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: re-read
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    Is there a way to search multiple locations rather than put in each city individually? There are quite a lot within driving distance.
    You can also use SearchTempest.com just make sure you uncheck the "look on Ebay results" thingy,,,that's a bit annoying
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I bought my trailer on Craigslist. It's a 1984 Rice, unusual trailer, rare in these parts. I wanted it because my grand scheme was to get a motorhome to tow my horses with and this is a very light trailer. I was thrilled to find one on Craigslist, about 2 hours from home, and drove up with cash to buy it. It had some issues and I talked the woman down about 200 dollars. No problem dealing with Craigslist. I've also sold things that way.