The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Check her lip for a tattoo...

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with others that have given a wide range. We'd need a video of her jumping to give you a better idea.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I'd say 10-15 in your area, OP; I'm in Ocala and would see about the same. Horses tend to be a tad more expensive in Tampa; so she might be priced a bit higher than that. I wouldn't personally pay any more than 15K for an "older" (7 is NOT old by any stretch, just older for a horse without a record) horse who has no real show experience.

Post some pictures if you buy her!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I would say $10-$15K here, maybe higher depending on how nice she is or how well she jumps. If she's Dutch and was born there she should be microchipped. (I don't know whether US-born Dutch horses are chipped) Does your vet have a scanner? I was able to take the info a vet gave me from the chip and, with the help of some folks here, use it to ID a horse that a friend was buying.
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

$5k-$30k. Range is so high because there are so many factors.

- Breeding
    - Conformation (flaws), soundness (potential)
    - Vices
    - Owners reason for selling/how fast she needs to be sold
    - Registration, eligibility

I have seen some nice horses in this area that are young, but going under saddle, nice movers and no show experience for $5k, and they are registered warmbloods. Something causes them to be worth less (ie. height, minor conformation flaw, unregistered or not highly known bloodlines, plain color).
    And others that appear the same being advertised for $20k. I would recommend a trial and vetting just to be sure, especially if she is "cheap", there's not always a reason but often times there is.

I read this thread yesterday and wrote a response but did not post b/c I wondered if I my reaction was appropriate....

Well, I'm gonna post now..... for some reason I get a strange vibe about the horse you described (or the situation)... something just doesn't seem right......

I should say my reaction really depends on her price.....If she is a few thousand dollars no big deal but if her price is 7k and up hummmmmm

I'd really want to know....

1) why she has been on the back burner with trainer?
    2)Why are they selling her?
    3)If she is registered--where'd the papers go? She's not that old???
    4)What is the mare's past......who's owned her since birth and where has she been
    5) You said she was used at a horse camp............. (not to be mean--- but who uses a nice WB at a horse camp with kids)

I'll stop now and please know I'm not trying to be mean.... Just want you to be happy if you purchase the mare.....

Please let us know how this goes!

n

2 members found this post helpful.

Since she has no papers (and I'm assuming doesn't have a brand), you really don't know if she is a WB. She could be, or could be a cross, or even a TB.

My guy is full TB and everyone thinks he's a Dutch--even my vet thought so! When my horse had his Coggins pulled last year, my vet was filling out the paperwork and asked what breed he was; when I said TB, he looked up from his paperwork and said something like, "Really? Full TB? He looks like a Dutch." Only thing that looks TB-ish is his head; he's very thick/solid, built like a linebacker and and has big bones and huge hooves.

Default Sounds nice

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Although a lot of pricing depends on location and the trainer this horse is associated with. If she is going to be 'A' show hunter material then it sounds like you already have a winning pre-green horse. If there is absolutely no soundness issues and with the lack of mileage I would expect to pay 15-20k.
    Yes...sound quiet horses that have 2 jobs...15k-20k...when you find them! I love to find horses that have a dressage background and just not capable of doing the upper levels that also can jump a bit. They most usually have better balance and rideablilty to the fences.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post

The fact that she's jumping low stuff tells me she may be TB or a cross.
    Just curious why?

Ditto, a 7 year old jumping 2'6" to 3' is one of thousands of any and all breeds. Where did the theory it must be a TB come from?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Ditto, a 7 year old jumping 2'6" to 3' is one of thousands of any and all breeds. Where did the theory it must be a TB come from?
    Raises hand.

Maybe that came out wrong, I didn't mean it as a dig on TBs. Just thinking most even slightly athletic horses at 7 can jump 3' and higher. A WB jumping less than 3'? The fact that she wasn't jumping higher seemed like a red flag that maybe she wasn't as advertised.

The OP explained she has the scope to go higher and this simply reflects her training thus far.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Not every rider wants to go over 3' even if it were true they can "All" jump higher with good enough style to be worth showing in the Hunters- and I don't think it's true.

Many smaller shows hardly fill 3' anyway let alone anything higher. IMO, 2'6" and 3' show mileage is fine if that's what's available-long as it is advertised and priced to reflect that. Show horses sitting at a trainers bothers me a whole lot less then one sitting unused in a race barn.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Yes. My lofty goal is to feel comfy in maiden adult eq this year and my mare is proven to have GP-level scope. She's happy with me and I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about wasting her talent!

I would much rather buy a horse that's been carefully used and not over-jumped. At the same time, it helps to understand the scope.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!