The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much would you pay...

I am looking at a 7 year old, 16.2hh Dutch WB mare. She is trained through 2nd level dressage, jumping 2'6"-3' courses. No vices, good ground manners, ridden/handles by children. Lead changes, etc, just no show experience. What would you expect to pay?

Anything can jump 2'6"-3'. How does she jump it? Like a fancy hunter that will easily do the 3'6" or a level 1 jumper that will never move up? Makes a difference to what I'd pay. What about temperament? Quiet, spooky, easy, with issues?
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

2 members found this post helpful.

Very quiet, no spook, was used in horse camp before. She has a beautiful round jump, really used her neck and back, knees square. The only reason she hasn't been jumped higher is her owner does dressage.

I'd say $4-5 k. And I respectfully disagree that any horse can jump 3'. Safely at least.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    I'd say $4-5 k. And I respectfully disagree that any horse can jump 3'. Safely at least.
    I respectfully disagree. Although a lot of pricing depends on location and the trainer this horse is associated with. If she is going to be 'A' show hunter material then it sounds like you already have a winning pre-green horse. If there is absolutely no soundness issues and with the lack of mileage I would expect to pay 15-20k.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Has she shown in dressage? Not super important, but it can prove that she keeps her head on straight somewhere new.

I would say around $8-10k

1 members found this post helpful.

If she is decent at dressage & has shown with good scores though 2nd level, & you can pick her up for less than 20K ...

Most horses can do 3', the naturally talented just need rather less training & help to get there.
    If this horse has decent collection (& is actually currenly going 2nd level), she should have no issues trotting 3' jumps ...

She has only been shown local schooling shows. She's got a great brain, very pretty mover. I will probably do hunters with her

There are some factors we can't weigh...

How fancy is she? Does she have papers? If not, does she look like a TB or a DWB? If there are no papers and she looks like a TB, she may well be. It's hard to know for sure.

Is she a hunter type or will she do eq/jumpers?

Has she shown dressage?

What's the location like? Are horses cheap or expensive there? In areas like NYC, LA, etc., English WB horses tend to be more expensive.

Is she really only capable of jumping 3' or is that all she's been schooled to but she has more scope? If she is only capable of jumping low stuff, that's a red flag. Many QHs and TBs can jump 3' if they're not un-athletic.

Here (NYC), I would say $8,000-40,000. It's a big range because there are so many unknowns and this area is *pricey*. The upper range would be reserved for a fancy hunter-type with papers.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, local and schooling shows. Nothing rated yet. I'm really excited, only problem is, no papers, if I wanted to eventually resell her, would that be a major turnoff for potential buyers?

Definitely WB, big, well built girl with gorgeous WB movement. I think she IS reg, just current owner doesn't have papers? She came from a big barn in Tampa. She's only been schooled to 3', definitely has the scope to go higher. We are in Orlando. I think she could do jumpers, she has basically been on the back burner for her owner, that's why I may get her. Was pro trained dressage, more recently started o/f.

I know of a Holsteiner 3yr old gelding, not broke, no papers (but well-bred Languster son), gorgeous, grey, sold recently for 10K.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne89 View Post
    Sorry, local and schooling shows. Nothing rated yet. I'm really excited, only problem is, no papers, if I wanted to eventually resell her, would that be a major turnoff for potential buyers?
    Not necessarily a turnoff. A risk. And that means a lower price. Without papers, she can't easily become a broodmare later. And without papers you can't fully confirm that she's a WB or that she's the age they claim.

At the same time, not having papers should make your purchase price lower.

You'll have to base your information on what you see in front of you, and almost ignore anything the sellers tell you that you cannot verify. DWB? Maybe. Maybe TB. Maybe a cross. 7? Maybe, or close. The fact that she's jumping low stuff tells me she may be TB or a cross. OR they just haven't schooled her higher.

Sorry if I'm a downer here, but I bought my first horse without papers. He was supposedly "about 10", but really probably 14-15. If I can't verify age, show record, or breeding, I won't really trust it now.

If they're asking towards the middle or top of the range and not providing papers, they're asking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne89 View Post
    Definitely WB, big, well built girl with gorgeous WB movement. I think she IS reg, just current owner doesn't have papers? She came from a big barn in Tampa. She's only been schooled to 3', definitely has the scope to go higher. We are in Orlando. I think she could do jumpers, she has basically been on the back burner for her owner, that's why I may get her. Was pro trained dressage, more recently started o/f.
    OK. This will increase the price, then.

Thanks! I feel pretty good about her, she is fairly cheap. I've had two horses go lame on me this past year so fingers crossed I can actually get a nice horse to ride again.

I would say $10k-15k in my area, which is New England.

OP, she sounds really cool. Have fun with her and good luck!

She sounds nice!!

Sounds a lot like what I was looking for a couple years ago. I wasn't successful finding a nice, Ammy-friendly WB or similarly sturdy horse that was relatively local to me even for $40K!!

If the price is as good as it sounds and she vets well, scoop her up and enjoy!! Best of luck!!

I agree I had a hard time finding an ammie WB around me and I'm not far from FL for less then 25k. This was 2 years ago about when i was looking. Anyways around here 2nd level some dressage shows showing that she has been out and schooling 3' but can go higher and if she is as fancy as you are seeming to say I'd say about 20k.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

10-15k ish...maybe. Depending on area it's really 7500 to 15k.

In truth you have a grade mare doing unrated2'6" and low level Dressage that might do better in Jumpers? Based on? Kind of depends on who said it has potential and their track record developing prospects.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.