The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *rubbed* pommel

My saddle has a rubbed/sued looking area RIGHT on the pommel. I purchased it used, but noticed it after riding in the rain at a clinic.

(It was POURING)

Is there any way to repair this short of replacing the leather completely? Like a way to "refinish it". Basically it looks like the finish wore off completely.

Its a Tad Coffin....

Likely the saddle had just been conditioned to "hide" this - you might try multiple thin coats of Stubben's Hamanol applied over several days - weeks: you want to slowly recondition the leather but not saturate the "cells" (which then further weaken).

Allow the saddle to dry thoroughly at room temperature - so water evaporates back into the atmosphere - then wipe down with a damp sponge to remove any soil (there are leather cleaning products for this that are more effective than just water, e.g., Effax), allow to redry, then begin the conditioning process

After you're done, just keep on top of the pommel care & it should be fine in the next rain storm

I always suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if they recommend certain care products - after all they are the ones that know how that leather was processed (cured, dyed etc) & what glues, threads, non-leather materials were used in the manufacture.

A worthwhile read (perhaps written by Kitt?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    What a great photo - hope it was a warm rain storm!

the Tads have really soft seats-- I am guessing that the water combined with the friction from the crotch of your breeches actually wore the saddle. You can try Hamanol, or lederbalsam, but the area may always have texture if friction actually rubbed the saddle.

I have rubbed pommels as well on both of my Butets. The older one is not as brushed as the newer one. The newer saddle has that very fine leather that while is very comfortable, does get rubbed.

I do ride in full chaps and jeans so I am sure that the seam of the jeans contributes to this issue.

The rain is problem. I rode in the pouring rain at a clinic and I am sure that didn't help my saddle either. I used what Butet recommends as the conditioner...

I think the suggestions other posters wrote above should help?

*sigh* I was afraid of that Soloudinhere.

alto-I've tried reconditioning plus using glycerine soap to try and "coat" the area but not really helps.

And yes..it was nice and warm, actually in the 80's so it was nice to have the drenching...other then the fact my mare HATES rain. HATES HATES HATES it. She threw some epic hissy fits.

a few other pictures
    walking away

cantering

REALLY BIG JUMP (she was bucking on this approach if I remember correctly). .

It only rained for maybe the first 20 minutes or so...after then it cleared up adn was just super super muggy. Which probably didn't help the whole pommel thing....

I ended up with a few ok shots...

Ignore my eq - SCARY! (geeze I wonder why my pommel was rubbed)

1 members found this post helpful.

alto-I've tried reconditioning plus using glycerine soap to try and "coat" the area but not really helps.
    Skip the glycerine soap for this - use the Effax product that strips off soap residue (can't recall which but should be apparant from the product descriptions), then start the Hamanol treatment: you'll likely need several coats at least 24-48 hours apart, it really can do an amazing restoration BUT that area of leather will need continued special care.

If you have a local saddle maker, you might take it in; also if you look around online, there are some "pommel covers" that were done by hmmmm ... sorry can't recall, but they were very nicely done

Looks like a fun clinic!

Wow those rain shots are amazing. What good sports you both were!

My used Antares came with a rub spot on the pommel, I'm guessing the previous owner rode in jeans. I've had the saddle for coming on 2 years and it has improved in appearance with conditioning, but it's still there. Doesn't really bother me though, but if you're bothered by it, I'd try the method alto described.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by MintHillFarm View Post
    Wow those rain shots are amazing. What good sports you both were!
    Good sport, HA!!! Now I know I'm not the best rider...but she was being an evil *grumbles* rhymes with witch..... To be fair, she absolutely detests rain, and was in season, and this was her 3rd time off property and she was only four...but she was evil! Of course, this meant that EVERY-TIME there was a rain shower for the next few months, guess who got to do a jump school! She's dramatically better now.

http://youtu.be/DoL8cnmGoCw

*note: I was told to ignore leads since she was being so fussy and to just concentrate on getting her around. Greg said she had a balanced enough canter that he wasn't worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeritas View Post
    My used Antares came with a rub spot on the pommel, I'm guessing the previous owner rode in jeans. I've had the saddle for coming on 2 years and it has improved in appearance with conditioning, but it's still there. Doesn't really bother me though, but if you're bothered by it, I'd try the method alto described.
    I NEVER ride this saddle in jeans, but I could see that. The previous owner was a fox hunter as well...so I'm sure there were a few long rides in the rain somewhere in its past...and I shouldn't complain too much, I got a great deal on it plus its a 14 year old saddle that is still in great shape!!! (refurbished in 2011 with new billets and the new tree)

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Skip the glycerine soap for this - use the Effax product that strips off soap residue (can't recall which but should be apparant from the product descriptions), then start the Hamanol treatment: you'll likely need several coats at least 24-48 hours apart, it really can do an amazing restoration BUT that area of leather will need continued special care.

If you have a local saddle maker, you might take it in; also if you look around online, there are some "pommel covers" that were done by hmmmm ... sorry can't recall, but they were very nicely done

Looks like a fun clinic!
    Our local fitter/repair guy was diagnosed with late stage cancer...last I heard he wasn't expected to make it and no one has been able to get up with him I've a feeling he's not around anymore. I need to place an order anyway so I'll tack the Hamanol on I do have effax right now, I've been using the lederbalsm on it already.

Would some mink oil help? It waterproofs leather
    a horseless canuck...

Good sport, HA!!! Now I know I'm not the best rider...but she was being an evil *grumbles* rhymes with witch..... To be fair, she absolutely detests rain, and was in season, and this was her 3rd time off property and she was only four...but she was evil! Of course, this meant that EVERY-TIME there was a rain shower for the next few months, guess who got to do a jump school! She's dramatically better now.

http://youtu.be/DoL8cnmGoCw

*note: I was told to ignore leads since she was being so fussy and to just concentrate on getting her around. Greg said she had a balanced enough canter that he wasn't worried about it.

I NEVER ride this saddle in jeans, but I could see that. The previous owner was a fox hunter as well...so I'm sure there were a few long rides in the rain somewhere in its past...and I shouldn't complain too much, I got a great deal on it plus its a 14 year old saddle that is still in great shape!!! (refurbished in 2011 with new billets and the new tree)

Our local fitter/repair guy was diagnosed with late stage cancer...last I heard he wasn't expected to make it and no one has been able to get up with him I've a feeling he's not around anymore. I need to place an order anyway so I'll tack the Hamanol on I do have effax right now, I've been using the lederbalsm on it already.
    Personally (I have a 2002 Tad, for the record) I would call Tad himself. If you call early (~7-7:30am eastern) he'll often answer the phone himself and you can describe the problem and see what he suggests.

If the saddle is 12 years old (mine is!) I might also just declare myself accustomed to it and move on. Wet leather tends to get rubbed since it is soft while it's wet. Overconditioning the leather will just risk splitting the seat.

Alto, good call! I wrote that for the shop about 8 or 10 years ago ...

As to the rubbed pommel, you can try something like Bee Natural Leather Finish or Fiebing's Tan Kote or Bag Kote. They're all high wax content products, and will "seal" the leather.

Get better fitting breeches...the rub is likely from the crotch of the breeches hanging down below your anatomy...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Agree with the recommendation for the natural wax type products. I always clean my Tad (gently) and then rub in some of the saddle buff that he sells. Gives it a nice wax finish that protects it.
    friend of bar.ka