The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Catherine Overstreet covers Southern AL : 404 518 0306

1 members found this post helpful.

Panther Run Saddlery and Equestrian Imports also have a lot of experience doing long-distance fitting through templates and photos, so you might want to contact either or both if you don't have a local fitter.

While it's not possible to make really comprehensive recommendations without the template and photos, based on your description, you might try an Albion SL or SL Platinum - those are quite flat longitudinally. Black Country Eloquence, Detente H&C and Frank Baines Capriole or Elegance also fit the flatter profiles.

Try posting some back conformation photos - you can mark in the wither trace etc lines with chalk or tape ...

We have a Welsh cob who wins straight back of the year award: I can hear the fitter's scepticism on the phone when I tell them this, then they show up & either have nothing that fits or 1 or 2 saddles that might fit IF they were the right tree/panel/seat size <rolls eyes> (this is after I mention that, yes, he does need a wide tree)
    (he's a bit tougher due to his shoulder - which I also warn about - and extreme sensitivity - which, yes, I also state emphatically ...)

I finally just went with a rep & ordered saddles to fit.

My Black Country Vinici with the freedom tree fits my wide, straight-backed mare well. Her withers are average in size and she has a deep shoulder. [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

You might want to take a look at the new FlexEE saddle (Heather Moffetts latest).
    I have an impossible-to-fit paint that I hope this saddle will work for, and I have one on order. Riding in a Barefoot London right now, that my horse likes, but I can't stand it! I have been on the waiting list for the FlexEE for almost a year, as it was in developing mode. It should be available to officially order within weeks I'd say. They are taking pre-orders as of a couple of weeks ago.
    Anyway, just a thought. I'm very excited to try it anyways
    Good luck!

Is there a reason you want new vs used?

I am only assuming that you want new, since you have disregarded the Trumbull Saddlery suggestion a couple of times. Trumbull Mtn, Pelham, Fine Used Saddles, etc... will work with measurements/tracings to try to find you an option if you're willing to go used.

Were it me, I would get a better quality used, and spend some of the money to get it fitted to your horse if you're having this much trouble finding a saddle out of the box.

I have heard way too many horror stories about custom ordered sadldles to ever go that route myself. Last time I bought, I got a lightly used saddle that was close in fit and had it custom fit by my independent fitter.

Second the County Competitor. I sent you a private message.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    Is there a reason you want new vs used?

I am only assuming that you want new, since you have disregarded the Trumbull Saddlery suggestion a couple of times. Trumbull Mtn, Pelham, Fine Used Saddles, etc... will work with measurements/tracings to try to find you an option if you're willing to go used.

Were it me, I would get a better quality used, and spend some of the money to get it fitted to your horse if you're having this much trouble finding a saddle out of the box.

I have heard way too many horror stories about custom ordered sadldles to ever go that route myself. Last time I bought, I got a lightly used saddle that was close in fit and had it custom fit by my independent fitter.
    I have not disregarded the suggestions of Trumbull Mtn or the others (why make an issue of it). They don't have anything new or used listed that would work, is in stock, or that I can afford. I have no issue with new or used, I'm looking at both. I have no fitter in my area, so getting a saddle fitted new or used it not an option, I already posted that.

Sorry if this was suggested, but Custom Saddlery has a tree that is very good for flatter backs. Passiers can also work but may depend on the style, not sure how the new ones are.

I worked with Trumbull ages ago as well and as OP didn't have any luck. They try but can't pull rabbits out of their hats.

Stubbens are banana shaped trees.

Don't know if this was suggested but Ann at Equestrian Imports is very good at fitting long distance. Send her your tracings and photos and your history. You can even rent a saddle for a month or two if you want.

Original Poster

I'm keeping the budget under the $2,000 amount, as far under as possible so Equestrian Import's saddles are out of my price range. Besides, I bought an Amerigo from her a few years back, the whole experience was not a good one and cost me a lot of money.

I've got a Kent and Masters coming to try, I hope it will work.

Original Poster

I just want to say that in the past I have worked with and bought saddles from a couple of the shops that have been suggested. They were all nice people to work with, they did the best they could with pictures and tracings but in the end I bought saddles that didn't work out; and this was after shipping many saddles back and forth. So using fitters via photos and tracings has not been any better for me than just trying saddles myself with brief descriptions/suggestions via the phone. This post was in hopes of getting saddle suggestions that might work, not necessarily tack shops or for fitters. I appreciate everyone's imput though, I think this is my longest thread ever!

I have not tried this yet, but I saw an interesting product that might help you. It is at fine-used-saddles. Look on their home page, http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/index.html for EQUImeasure Kit. This is a flexible sheet of plastic that you warm to 170 degrees in the oven, then place on your horse's back. It cools, hardens, and makes a permenant mold that you can then send in to this saddle re-seller for them to compare to their saddles in stock and give you advice on which ones will fit your horse. It gives a lot more info than a wither tracing. This is a new product, and I havn't tried it yet, but I'm dying to!!!! I have dealt with Fine-used-saddles, and had a very positive experience. They mostly deal in the high-end european brands, in the range of $2,000 - 4,000 for a used saddle, and they have quite reasonable trial policies.

P.S. if anyone has used the EQUImeasure product, I'd love to hear about it.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rjr View Post
    I have not tried this yet, but I saw an interesting product that might help you. It is at fine-used-saddles. Look on their home page, http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/index.html for EQUImeasure Kit. This is a flexible sheet of plastic that you warm to 170 degrees in the oven, then place on your horse's back. It cools, hardens, and makes a permenant mold that you can then send in to this saddle re-seller for them to compare to their saddles in stock and give you advice on which ones will fit your horse. It gives a lot more info than a wither tracing. This is a new product, and I havn't tried it yet, but I'm dying to!!!! I have dealt with Fine-used-saddles, and had a very positive experience. They mostly deal in the high-end european brands, in the range of $2,000 - 4,000 for a used saddle, and they have quite reasonable trial policies.

P.S. if anyone has used the EQUImeasure product, I'd love to hear about it.

I have one of those, bought it a few years back for another horse. After I went thru the process to buy it, mold it to the horses back, no saddle fitter/tack shop wanted me to send it!!!!!! Equestrian Imports only wanted pictures and tracings was not interested in me sending the EQImeasure at all, same for the other tack shop I was looking at saddles. It's a great tool, but a little difficult to use and once it's on the horse it cools quickly and sets up. You can reuse it, the kit I have comes with a box to used in the oven. The only issue I had was my oven is a bit small, so the kit barely fit.
    Last edited by js; Mar. 17, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Why not just find a used Solo and have one of us set the tree ? It's not rocket science.

If you're still looking, I know Fine Used Saddles will take an EQUImeasure kit.

Original Poster

Thanks, I found a saddle - Tad Coffin Dressage Saddle and it's working great!!!!!!!!!!

OP, just so you know, Trumbull Mountain has changed hands since the last time you tried them. I'm saddle shopping too, and have been to their shop twice in the last week (I live nearby) - they've had a good used inventory under $2K, in my opinion. The Kent and Masters line has the Fairfax saddle - but it's $2.5K.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tommy's Girl, the shop changed hands in 2009, so if the OP tried saddles from them 2 yrs. ago, ownership was the same and the new saddle lines were the same (though the used stock is very fluid). The shop's physical location, however, moved in Dec. of 2012.