The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thread number 8,504++ on saddle fit or which saddle to try next

I seem to own the most difficult horses to fit dressage saddles to or I seem to pick the worst fitting dressage saddles to try or it may be a combination of both.
    Trying to fit - 12 yr old TB Mare, low wide withers, wide(ish) flat back that is fairly straight to the croup.
    Saddles I've tried - PDS Showtime, Pariani (this was a fair fit but she hated it), Bates Dressage, M Toulouse Diana, Black Country, Vega.

The M Toulouse and the PDS had the same fit issue, way to huge thru the pommel and gullet, you could drive 2 RV's side by side thru it and that was with the XW gullet in the PDS and the MT opened to XW; putting a smaller gullet in still had the same issue except added that it sat even higher in the front. The Bates dressage rocked back and forth like a rocking chair, don't know what the deal was with it, I thought they were fairly straight in the tree. Black Country and Vega, panel contact at the back of the saddle was not good.

I'm really at a loss at what else to try and do not have the option of a saddle fitter or local tack shop (welcome to living in the boonies).

Have you looked at a Passier or a Stubben? Or if you don't mind synthetic and don't want to spend that money you could try something like this:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/t4-dres...ul/p/X1-15756/

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

I'm thinking the Stubben might have too much of a curved tree? My mare is fairly flat across and straight to the croup.

Would anyone recommend a Tad Coffin? Looking at one thinking it might work but looks a bit narrow, but told they fit everything?

I'd be surprised that there's anywhere in the deep south not covered by one of us, tbh.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    I'd be surprised that there's anywhere in the deep south not covered by one of us, tbh.
    I'm in the southern part of AL, not in FL or GA. Don't even have a tack shop within 2 hours of me.

Just because you aren't nearby doesn't mean you can't send tracings/photos to the pros up at Trumbull Mt. They'll get you set up with a saddle within one or two gos, most likely.

3 members found this post helpful.

Maybe a prestige in a 34cm tree? I like the prestige 2000 and prestige top. Steer clear of the prestige grand. I don't have any experience with the newer models. I like the Laser saddles as well and they have an adjustable tree and flatter panels.

I'm currently riding in a Bates Innova and like it. It seems to fit most horses with flat backs (wouldn't be appropriate for a horse with a curvier back or razor withers though). I'm not sure what model of Bates you tried, but you might consider this one. I like to set the gullet one wider than what "should" fit perfectly and then add a half pad for extra cushion. There are people who claim the cair/flair panels overheat the horses back and while I've never experienced that, I figure a nice half pad should prevent that issue by providing a breathable layer between the saddle panels and saddle pad.

Custom saddlery makes some nice saddles at relatively reasonable prices and we have a barn full of them that are pretty comfortable and hold up well to lots of use. If you could tell us your budget and where you are, we might be able to help connect you with a saddlefitter (save a ton on shipping these trials back and forth) or saddle company rep.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Just because you aren't nearby doesn't mean you can't send tracings/photos to the pros up at Trumbull Mt. They'll get you set up with a saddle within one or two gos, most likely.
    I already did that 2 yrs ago, they didn't have anything that worked at that time and I gave up and have been using a Pessoa A/O that fits with no issue but trying to ride dressage in a jumping saddle, is not working. Which is why I've been trying saddles again.

I tried the Bates Dressage (that is the model).
    I don't have a budget per say but don't want to spend a fortune either. I prefer to keep it under $2,000.

Send tracings to Trumbull Mountain. They are good at what they do.

I would not go Passier, Stubben or Kieffer -not the right shape. I would try an Albion SLK Low Head, or whatever comparable model is made by Trilogy or Custom.

I've had a few of these horses. Not familiar w/ all the models you posted, but at least some of them have a curved panel. If you have a smaller budget, look at a used Neidersuiss - they tend to fit pretty well. Or an older Albion - SL (Style) or SLK? If you have a larger budget, I'd also recommend some of the Custom Saddlery saddles - I''ve had good luck w/ the Advantage and the newer Constanze, and I suspect the Wolfgang Solo might work as well.

Also 2nd at least sending in tracings to Trumbull Mountain to see what they think.

Original Poster

I already worked with Trumbull 2 yrs ago, they didn't didn't have anything that would work and didn't make any further recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I already worked with Trumbull 2 yrs ago, they didn't didn't have anything that would work and didn't make any further recommendations.
    The key words being TWO years ago. I'm quite sure their stock has changed since then.

Or try Pelham, if you have some personal vendetta against Trumbull.

Your budget is just going to continue to be eaten up by shipping saddles around with no professional guidance.

Original Poster

I don't have a personal vendetta agasint them, they went all out to try and help, they just didn't have anything that would work, depsite trying everything they had. They've only added one new saddle line since then, the Kent and Masters. I don't know anything about how it fits.

I have also used a saddle fitter in FL, shipped quite a few saddles, even 2 at a time. I have used professional guidance I just haven't had any better luck going that route as trying it on my own. Still shipping saddles back and forth regardless of whether its a fitter sending them or me trying on trial from online ordering.

I don't have a personal vendetta agasint them, they went all out to try and help, they just didn't have anything that would work, depsite trying everything they had. They've only added one new saddle line since then, the Kent and Masters. I don't know anything about how it fits.
    Didn't realize you were looking for brand new.

You actually might do a search on here for the Kent and Masters...they get great reviews: British, wool flocked, do fit the wider horses well. The only thing I'm not too familiar with is the curve of the tree. Might be worth a call.

They're also brand new, good quality, for right around $1500.

Which BC saddles did you try?

Try Lynnda at Classic Saddlery. She fit my wide shouldered flat back tb in an HDR Austal and it fits him like a charm. A less expensive, not elite name, but it is very nice leather for the price, and most importantly it fits my boy and he likes it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Try sending a PM to jn4jenny. Also, there was a thread recently on the Kent and Masters saddles.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Sent you a PM.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I feel your pain. I'm addicted to short-backed, wide low withered, straight backed ponies. My saddle fitter hates me The best thing I ever did was to find an independent saddle fitter that comes to me with an arsenal of all different brands and makes of saddles. I was buying, trying, selling, replacing...to no avail. She came out and we did a full consult and went through the extensive line of saddles on hand. We found one that was super close but a little too narrow so she widened it on sight and VOILA! A saddle that fit! If you can find someone it's worth every penny to have them come out to you. Even if you don't buy one that day you can at least see what fits, measure it, make note of what it is, etc. My mare has now changed shape at 4 so we're going back to the drawing board and I'm having her back out with her arsenal of saddles! Hopefully we'll get lucky again! If not, I may have to bite the custom saddle bullet. My wallet says ouch!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I seem to own the most difficult horses to fit dressage saddles to or I seem to pick the worst fitting dressage saddles to try or it may be a combination of both.
    Trying to fit - 12 yr old TB Mare, low wide withers, wide(ish) flat back that is fairly straight to the croup.
    Saddles I've tried - PDS Showtime, Pariani (this was a fair fit but she hated it), Bates Dressage, M Toulouse Diana, Black Country, Vega
    I'm really at a loss at what else to try and do not have the option of a saddle fitter or local tack shop (welcome to living in the boonies).
    I had a similar issue with a horse last year. Same build. Low, wide withers, not a hugely wide back, but very straight to the croup and had a pretty big shoulder blade. I tried a lot of different things, but found a fantastic fit with a County Competitor!! Do you have access to a County Saddlery rep?