The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible for horse to pull out his own teeth?? (video) ANOTHER one gone...

Well, with help by biting on something.

Most of you remember I got my idiot WB's bestie, the infamous Odie, a rain sheet. And someone asked if getting the sheet wouldn't just be putting a nice little handle on said donk-donk for idiot Rory to pick him up by.

Hahahaha...oh wait... *head desk*

The other day, I felt something funny while feeding Rory a treat, and sure enough, one of his teeth is all FUBARed. I think it's a baby tooth due to the smallness, and really, how could he break an adult tooth?? Rory is just shy of 4, so could be a 3.5 due to come out? I dunno, I got kinda squiched out, esp when DH grabbed it and yanked it out . But there is something toothy left behind, either the adult tooth coming in behind it or some of the baby tooth left behind, as the tooth that was pulled out did look like it had broken from top to bottom.

At first I thought maybe Odie had, ahem, "assisted" with the breaking of the tooth, but Rory didn't have any cuts or swelling on his lips and his gums looked fine. I work nights, so DH has been going to out to peek at Rory to make sure it didn't start looking infected or what have you. He said today that the same tooth on the other side (the other 3.5) is now bent outwards at an angle, but not broken. BO has said that she sees Rory grab Odie's sheet while they are running and playing, which they do all. the. time.

How worried should I be??

http://youtu.be/A4BRg7ZKEsM
    Last edited by TheJenners; Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Worried enough to get vet out quickly! That is just three ways of wrong!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

One of mine did something amazingly similar, but I can't remember how old he was at the time. I noticed because his tooth was sticking out sideways between his lips, but he was happy as could be. His turned out to be a "baby" tooth that was not ready to come out yet, but he (we think) caught it on something and broke it off. It also broke some of the jaw as the vet removed some fragments. I did have the vet out right away to clean it up and I'm trying to remember if we did a course of antibiotics...I can't recall. That horse did so many stupid things to himself, it all blends together! We weren't sure if the adult tooth would come in ok after all that, but it did. Years later, you couldn't tell it had ever happened.

I wonder if you call your vet, if they can check out the video? I've sent cell phone pics to mine, asking "need stitches?"

I have to laugh, too, that you speculated Odie ASSisted!

Bwahahah assisted!!! As much as I love puns, I can't believe I missed that!!

I'm on my Friday, so I'll call the vet tomorrow when I wake up and see what they say.

I had a horse do something similar looking once. She flipped around on the cross ties and tore a cap out of her mouth--not one ready to shed. The vet had to come out and cut it off the dental ligament.

I'd say call the vet. What happened with my horse wasn't terribly bad, but it was not going to resolve on it's own.

Dental ligament huh? Didn't know such a creature existed!

Vet appt made. Thanks all.

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't have time to look at the link just now, but it's indeed possible, I've seen it happen. Young warmblood did nothing more than grab at his halter hanging on hook outside stall, halter didn't come off hook, and he managed to pull several lower teeth loose- displaced them significantly, I want to say about an inch but I'm recalling an event from more than 10 years ago. And they were permanent teeth.

In his case, the vet got with a human orthodontist, and the horse was taken to the orthodontist's office (well, okay, the parking lot of his office) and they fabricated and installed braces. I recall that he wore them for a couple or three years, yes there were rubber bands that required replacement, whole nine yards just like a human- but darned if it didn't work. The vet/ortho were going to write a paper on it, I don't know if they ever did.

What the what?? Holy smokes!! Shouldn't be that serious, I checked a picture of his teeth from about a month ago (don't ask...) and these are definitely baby teeth and due to come out anyways.

We'll see what the vet says Thursday.

Hard to tell for sure from the brief video...but it does not look like a baby tooth to me.

My now 8 yo mare happens to be missing an upper tooth- it was permanently gone when I bought her as a coming 3 yo, but I could tell when I looked at her to buy it was not a case of a baby tooth. There's still 'tooth' in there with a small sliver protruding from the gum, which is a good thing, holds the other teeth in place. No issues with it in any way, so far!

Well, we'll find out next week . Vet was JUST out to do dentals not three weeks ago.

Looking at the photo, and the video again, and the weird floppy tooth thing does not look like a cap to me. Perhaps I'm just "misreading" it, but am interested to hear what the vet says!

Well, the matching tooth on the other side has suffered the same fate . I have NO IDEA what to make of this. Either he keeps yanking out his own teeth, or he is just losing them on time in the most violent way possible?? If they are indeed the baby teeth?? Or I am too weird and look at his teeth and it always looks like this when they shed the front baby teeth??

Picture
    and picture

I did push on and touch the newly broken or missing or whatever spot, where it's red, and he wasn't upset by it at all. In fact, he was a down right peach for letting me use the flash function on my phone to get these shots. I was having to do some interesting yoga poses to get this while Odie tried to raid my pockets and be affectionate in his little donkey way (head on my stomach giving me "cookies?" face).
    Last edited by TheJenners; Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo

Well, now he just looks like a horse that's just popped some caps, so perhaps that's all that happened. So weird. Were those teeth TINY, like those last caps? Maybe he sort of tore them off a little earlier than they really wanted, being mouthy, so they hung there?

Are they both gone, or are they still flopping around in there somewhere?

Nope, both gone, but you can see something behind where they were. Without him holding perfectly still and letting me get all up in his grill, I can't tell if what is still there is a shard or an adult tooth. Maybe he shed that baby tooth and I just happened to notice it hanging there?? To be honest, I've found caps but I've never noticed when a front baby tooth goes. Maybe it's normal..

Like I said, that's the spot for the 3.5 teeth, and biologically he was 3.5 in Dec. Those were still baby teeth back in the beginning of Feb though...

Dear lord.

I'm one of those owners

I obsess about something that is probably perfectly normal and take PICTURES of my horse's teeth.

Someone slap me with a kohlrabi stick.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, I'm so glad you did since I just spent 10 hilarious minutes watching Odie videos. I want an ass of my own so damn bad!!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I yanked an incisor cap out of my filly's mouth last summer (yeah, I'm the owner who gets allll excited about the caps and saves them ) and it certainly wanted to hang on on one edge. Hers was the inside edge, but it was an upper cap. Maybe your guy just sticks a little bit on the outside when he sheds them?

What I see in the pics totally looks like the adult tooth peeking out from a place where a cap just shed. But all disclaimers apply, and you're the only one who can actually see the horse

To your credit, the initial video looked an AWFUL LOT like the horse I had that DID actually tear a tooth out and she did need to be seen by the vet.

Well, he's still coming out next week. I'm sure it'll be $150 for him to look at the video I took on my phone, look in Rory's mouth, fend off Odie, and tell me it's normal.

Debbie, they are even more ridiculous in person. Before these guys, if someone had asked "is it possible for an animal to have too much personality?" I would have laughed and said no. Now? Now I leave the barn feeling both happy and somewhat of a tornado disaster victim. Rory was adorable by himself, but with Odie? I'm reminded of those Capt America cartoons on TV: "Let our powers combine!" duh duh duh!!!

I can only imagine!! I've got a harlequin great dane that is mr. personality, so I want a spotted mini donk to ramp the ridiculous on up. My husband is weakening in his resistance, so I'm stalking Craigslist nightly.

As for the teeth, I think the latter pictures look normal. The video of the tooth on a stalk was pretty alarming. My new horse had a baby tooth overlapping the front of one of his front teeth - he's coming 6 - that my vet pulled. It has pride of place on my kitchen window sill - still waiting on the horse tooth fairy to deliver a gift card to the feed store.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

While the video made me think of my own guy's premature tooth extraction, the recent pics do look more normal and like they were baby caps. I might be inclined to keep an eye on things these next few days and if all goes ok, he's eating, things are healing...I might cancel the vet appt. You've got several days to decide, it sounds like, if he's not scheduled til Thursday.

I did once have an emergency vet call for another young and dumb colt (I seem to collect them) that threw his very long head up and hit our very low beam on the stall front. I thought he missed the beam and then saw blood in his mouth, and further inspection revealed his two front teeth were cockeye. I thought they were his permanent teeth, but nope, vet came out and found they were just the caps. Plucked the dangling pieces off and he was fine. Thank goodness we moved from the low barn before he grew much more.