The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    That was my point. He obviously has a good eye for horses and picks some nice ones. The horses no longer need "rescued" as they are no longer in danger but that doesn't stop "the truck is coming!!!!!" from being posted over and over and over on FB and the like.
    Actually, you said the proprietor "falsely suggests" that the unsolds will go to slaughter. It's not him, it's the alarmist comments by clueless people who suggest slaughter is imminent. Those are usually the same ones who jump in with comments like this as soon as a horse is sold, "Oh, I'm SO glad it got a great/forever/wonderful home!!" when they have no clue who purchased the horse.

Camelot is a nicely-run auction barn where the horses are provided unlimited, quality hay, water and, if necessary, vet care, and it IS an auction barn. The horses are run through Wednesday night, and the unsolds are then marketed through Camelot Horse Weekly. Frank Carper is a dealer and knows a good thing when he sees it (like tens of thousands of people tirelessly networking his horses every week, and one of the best photographers I've seen volunteering her time every week to take fantastic pics). Fortunately, it's also a good thing for the horses, at least as far as giving them a better chance at a decent future, which is why the Camelot networkers do what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    We've gotten some great horses from New Holland. You are correct that they sell to the killbuyer there (and the killpen is more than I can bear, which is why I don't go too often), but other than that, what makes you say it is a "hellhole"?
    I think a killpen that's "more than (I) can bear" is enough reason, in and of itself, to call it a hellhole. I will say I've never been there, but I did work for a guy who got a lot of trail horses from there. I also have seen photos taken by people who do go there, and what I saw convinced me I never want to step foot in that place.

New Holland being what it is, is another reason I'm thankful that so many horses find their way out via Camelot. Not surprisingly, there have been some discovered by previous owners from pics posted on the Camelot Horse Weekly FB page. People who had thought their former horse(s) were still in "good home(s)".
    Equus Keepus Brokus

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    What? Maybe I'm reading wrong, but answer seems snarky.

Moving on: OP, I do think that when you see a well-conditioned horse at a low-end auction you can conclude that there is something wrong that makes *most buyers of that kind of horse* pass.

That means a big physical or mental hole. Maybe either of those could be fixed by someone who had all the knowledge of the horsemen at that fancy horse's level and more time or patience.

In any case, I think you are asking a reasonable question.
    Not snarky sarcasm. The sheer number of people aghast over that "poor" pony and how she could be "sent to slaughter". Simply is to much for me. She wasn't "sent to slaughter". She was sold through an auction. Yes there are KB's that bid , she was not bought by one of them. She was bought by the "house" meaning they saw an opportunity to make $ on a cute pony can't blame them. The same "house" also buys the left overs etc maintains them as pen #10 or feedlot and advertises them for resale or 2nd chance until a load is filled or they have all sold.

The major issue is everyone assumes because the "house" bought her she was in danger of slaughter. She was NEVER she was a cute pony a broker bought to make a dollar on. No different then if a trainer was the bidder on her and flipped her.

http://www.nj-feedlot-horse-rescue.com/faq.html
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

Horses end up in auction for many reasons. What if the owner lost their job, and tried to sell with no luck? Then they tried to give the horse away to people they know? The cost of owning a horse is the problem, not the cost of purchase. Then if there was nothing else the owner could do, i am sure the horse went to auction b/c the owner had no other choice but to pray that his/her horse did not end up in the kill pen, but instead found a good home. We just got a horse who came thru auction. Aside from him not trusting humans, he is doing great. Just bc a horse is found at auction does not mean the horse is useless, or damaged or dangerous.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Not snarky sarcasm. The sheer number of people aghast over that "poor" pony and how she could be "sent to slaughter". Simply is to much for me. She wasn't "sent to slaughter". She was sold through an auction. Yes there are KB's that bid , she was not bought by one of them. She was bought by the "house" meaning they saw an opportunity to make $ on a cute pony can't blame them. The same "house" also buys the left overs etc maintains them as pen #10 or feedlot and advertises them for resale or 2nd chance until a load is filled or they have all sold.

The major issue is everyone assumes because the "house" bought her she was in danger of slaughter. She was NEVER she was a cute pony a broker bought to make a dollar on. No different then if a trainer was the bidder on her and flipped her.

http://www.nj-feedlot-horse-rescue.com/faq.html
    I was NOT implying that she was going to be sent to slaughter. And poooor pooonie.

I guess I am just used to seeing raggedy, skinny, grade-looking horses (not that there is anything wrong with grade horses!) on Camelot's FB pages and she just seemed out of place.

Thats all.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Horses end up in auction for many reasons. What if the owner lost their job, and tried to sell with no luck? Then they tried to give the horse away to people they know? The cost of owning a horse is the problem, not the cost of purchase. Then if there was nothing else the owner could do, i am sure the horse went to auction b/c the owner had no other choice but to pray that his/her horse did not end up in the kill pen, but instead found a good home. We just got a horse who came thru auction. Aside from him not trusting humans, he is doing great. Just bc a horse is found at auction does not mean the horse is useless, or damaged or dangerous.
    THIS. There is nothing at all inherently wrong with selling a horse through an auction. Keeneland Yearling Sales, anyone?
    Auctions have gotten a bad name because people emphasize the lowest-end leftovers and their often sad fate. But that may be only 5% of the horses sold on any given evening. Many of those will be unusable for some reason, a few of them dangerous.

But the other 95% are often very usable, trained, and often not-half-bad horses who are just looking for a new job. Years ago, this was the most common and direct route taken by all riding schools, camps, and many private owners looking for good horses for their programs. Many of the dealers who work the sales are well known by reputation and want to uphold that.
    No sense therefore to tar everyone with the same broad brush.

That said; if you hit Google Images for New Holland, you'd better have a tough stomach. However, the fault there lies not with the auction itself, but with the scuzzballs who take a debilitated, hurt, or diseased animal to a sale and try to unload it.

Count me as a member of the Camelot Fan Club!

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    Camelot is an auction, if a horse does not sell at auction it may go to the feedlot. And a rescuer may rescue it at a price set by the auction house.

They pick up horses at New Holland that they think may resell at a better price, anyone can bid during auction. My barn has picked up a few schoolies there.

Whether all the proper paperwork is in order is another issue.
    They actually sell the horses at Camelot to people that bid on them? That has not been my understanding. He sets the price and you take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I was NOT implying that she was going to be sent to slaughter. And poooor pooonie.

I guess I am just used to seeing raggedy, skinny, grade-looking horses (not that there is anything wrong with grade horses!) on Camelot's FB pages and she just seemed out of place.

Thats all.
    Growing up I was taught by my boss, who never missed the weekly sale at Wassaic NY that there's a great advantage in picking out a horse when their bone structure is readily apparent. We had pasture and the groceries were cheap!

To work the auction scene properly, you need to have the "revolving door" mentality and not feel obligated to "marry" horses who aren't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Actually, you said the proprietor "falsely suggests" that the unsolds will go to slaughter. It's not him, it's the alarmist comments by clueless people who suggest slaughter is imminent. Those are usually the same ones who jump in with comments like this as soon as a horse is sold, "Oh, I'm SO glad it got a great/forever/wonderful home!!" when they have no clue who purchased the horse.

Camelot is a nicely-run auction barn where the horses are provided unlimited, quality hay, water and, if necessary, vet care, and it IS an auction barn. The horses are run through Wednesday night, and the unsolds are then marketed through Camelot Horse Weekly. Frank Carper is a dealer and knows a good thing when he sees it (like tens of thousands of people tirelessly networking his horses every week, and one of the best photographers I've seen volunteering her time every week to take fantastic pics). Fortunately, it's also a good thing for the horses, at least as far as giving them a better chance at a decent future, which is why the Camelot networkers do what they do.

I think a killpen that's "more than (I) can bear" is enough reason, in and of itself, to call it a hellhole. I will say I've never been there, but I did work for a guy who got a lot of trail horses from there. I also have seen photos taken by people who do go there, and what I saw convinced me I never want to step foot in that place.

New Holland being what it is, is another reason I'm thankful that so many horses find their way out via Camelot. Not surprisingly, there have been some discovered by previous owners from pics posted on the Camelot Horse Weekly FB page. People who had thought their former horse(s) were still in "good home(s)".
    No, I said the people who post all over FB falsely suggest the truck is coming. There is no truck.

No, I said the people who post all over FB falsely suggest the truck is coming. There is no truck.
    This my annoyance was not necessarily with the OP or anyone here just the aplomb of people blowing up FB with "OMG poor pony is going to slaughter".
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    This my annoyance was not necessarily with the OP or anyone here just the aplomb of people blowing up FB with "OMG poor pony is going to slaughter".
    Aw, c'mon, we see here on COTH every day how many people just loooooove to generate DRAMA! What do TV writers say when a script is just "meh?" "Where's the JEP?!" as in "jeopardy."

An auction with happy, healthy horses hanging out up to their knees in hay indefinitely is not "jep." Hence, the truck is commminnnnnnnggggg!!!!

UPDATE: Just took a look at their site, and YOU should too:

http://www.nj-feedlot-horse-rescue.c...available.html

Some NICE ones up for grabs today! However, the prevalence of young stock, some of which have "no education" once again illustrates that the problem of "too many horses" begins with overbreeding by people who then dump the result. Happy Hunting, that pony #747 is ADORABLE!

Six and still green isn't a deal breaker if the former owner has too many horses and just didn't get around to it.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

They actually sell the horses at Camelot to people that bid on them? That has not been my understanding. He sets the price and you take it or leave it.

He has a weekly auction at his place. The horses you're seeing on FB are the ones he no-saled after not getting the price he wanted at his own auction (or are horses that were brought to his sale that he purchased). But there is actually an auction - wednesday nights iirc.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

it certainly speeds turnaround on the lot when 'the truck' is assumed....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Correct. He cherry-picks the ones he thinks he can get more money for via private sale after the auction proper. Not a thing wrong with that, either.

BTW, everyone in the biz knows you can get beaucoup more $$ for a "using" horse than a "killer," so there is a lot of incentive to find a good buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I do know that selling horses isn't nearly as easy as it used to be. I have a nice, registered, green mare that could be a really nice WP horse. I don't have the skill to put her in the ring and no desire to get in the ring myself. I thought I'd offer her up for sale last year. $3500. I had two people interested and neither called back. She's pretty, a good mover and well bred, but people just aren't interested in her. If I wasn't willing to keep her, she could easily end up in a place like Camelot.
    Can you PM me info if you're still trying to sell her, I am looking for WP horse and my gelding would much prefer foward, real work (which I don't do!)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    He has a weekly auction at his place. The horses you're seeing on FB are the ones he no-saled or that didn't sell through his auction (and he bought them)
    Yep. That's why a lot on FB were "sold to #10" and wound up on FB in the first place--they went through, nobody bid but the house, so he lets the group list them for a set price on the internet. NOW they're just being sold. He might list some he just picked up at New Holland and didn't run through, I don't know, but most are ones the house bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    it certainly speeds turnaround on the lot when 'the truck' is assumed....
    Yes, AC4H and Forever Morgans have the "truck is coming" mantra down pat.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes there is an auction and anyone can bid, been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I've seen horses sold because the owner got into drugs and the spouse was un-horsey and sold them off quickly. I've seen nice horses sold cheap after a divorce, and even, you'll love this, good ponies sold because child lost interest. Heck, Paint breeders sell because the babies lack spots. She could be a nice green broke mare. She might be difficult. She may be lame. I hope she gets a chance.
    Amen to this. I know first hand of 2 "from auction rags to show ring/wonderful home life riches" stories myself. I'm sure there's some of you that do, too.

Let's hope this could be one, too.

And I know one one from "outside" at New Holland, who turned into a placing Preliminary Three Day horse.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.