The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How does a horse like this end up at Camelot???

All I have is FB link so I'm sorry if this doesn't work for everyone....but...how does a very cute, well built, young, pony mare in good condition end up on Camelot for $650??

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Seriously? Am I left to assume something is very wrong with this mare?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Because people suck.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

10 members found this post helpful.

She looks sweet and is VERY cute. However, there may be some sort of unseen physical or mental issue with her that makes her potentially unsafe. Even if that were the case, people still suck.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

11 members found this post helpful.

I mean it says she's six and still green broke...and I know people suck...but really?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

End up at Camelot is curious. Camelot is an auction period. Its association with negative only comes from the fact that KB's can and do bid there. They frequent and bit at a lot of other sales as well. She had just as much chance as any other horse auctioned to not be picked up by Pen 10. For some reason she was passed on. Perhaps one we are not privy too.

How did she end up going through Camelot ..that is simple Her owner took her there.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

7 members found this post helpful.

Something's going on with the off hind fetlock.. She's cute. Glad someone bought her. Hope it's the right home for her.

Probably medical that someone don't want to deal with so pawning her off or she's hard possibly crazy and once again pawning her off because they don't want to deal with. She is cute I'll give her that but I'd second guess getting her because she does look so nice and well she probably ended up there for a reason.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

4 members found this post helpful.

There were several that ended up there that have similar breeding to hers. All looked pretty nice so it wasn't just her.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, perhaps someone (or their surviving relatives or..or..or..) sent them there, not knowing that the slaughter folks buy horses at auctions.
    It's possible. It's also possible they were just dumped out of necessity, by someone who could not afford to care for them any longer . We can't know..

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    End up at Camelot is curious. Camelot is an auction period. Its association with negative only comes from the fact that KB's can and do bid there. They frequent and bit at a lot of other sales as well. She had just as much chance as any other horse auctioned to not be picked up by Pen 10. For some reason she was passed on. Perhaps one we are not privy too.

How did she end up going through Camelot ..that is simple Her owner took her there.
    What? Maybe I'm reading wrong, but answer seems snarky.

Moving on: OP, I do think that when you see a well-conditioned horse at a low-end auction you can conclude that there is something wrong that makes *most buyers of that kind of horse* pass.

That means a big physical or mental hole. Maybe either of those could be fixed by someone who had all the knowledge of the horsemen at that fancy horse's level and more time or patience.

In any case, I think you are asking a reasonable question.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm a little bit surprised at some of the answers here.

Horses end up at auctions for lots of reasons. Some legit and some not so much. Unless you could question the person that sent her there, you'll never know. Perhaps she was owned by someone who became seriously ill. Perhaps the previous owner tried to sell her and got no responses or inappropriate responses. Maybe she got rank, maybe she's unsound....who knows.

I do know that selling horses isn't nearly as easy as it used to be. I have a nice, registered, green mare that could be a really nice WP horse. I don't have the skill to put her in the ring and no desire to get in the ring myself. I thought I'd offer her up for sale last year. $3500. I had two people interested and neither called back. She's pretty, a good mover and well bred, but people just aren't interested in her. If I wasn't willing to keep her, she could easily end up in a place like Camelot.

13 members found this post helpful.

$650 for a green broke pony mare isn't that cheap of a price. OP the way you say it makes it sound like you feel that is incredibly cheap, IMO it's not.

I've seen horses sold because the owner got into drugs and the spouse was un-horsey and sold them off quickly. I've seen nice horses sold cheap after a divorce, and even, you'll love this, good ponies sold because child lost interest. Heck, Paint breeders sell because the babies lack spots. She could be a nice green broke mare. She might be difficult. She may be lame. I hope she gets a chance.

Wait, I thought Camelot was not an auction? It is a feedlot more or less where the owner collects horses he has bought at auctions around the area and people buy them from there at a price he sets, not an amount they bid upon. He picks the nice ones because they sell better then lets the public market them for him by falsely suggesting they will go to slaughter if they are not sold. No mystery to me.

There are LOTS of very nice horses, ponies, donkeys and mules that end up at Camelot that don't have a single thing wrong with them. Here is just one of them:
    http://thetdnblog.blogspot.com/2012/...mis-story.html

Camelot's proprietor obtains most of the horses at the Monday auction at New Holland in PA (a definite hellhole of an auction barn where many sold do go straight to slaughter). He does not "suggest" that any unsolds will go to slaughter - that usually comes from the comments on the weekly pics from folks who don't know any better.

From what I've seen following the weekly FB group, Camelot Horse Weekly, if a horse doesn't sell from Camelot during the week, it is held over and offered the next week, and the next, until sold. Yes, there are those who get in a tizzy about slaughter-bound if not sold, but I do not believe that's a possibility other than the slight chance that Frank might take the unsold back to New Holland. But I have not known that to happen.

Sure, there are "duds" that come through Camelot, but those can be found through private sales, as well. IMO, buying a horse is always a gamble, but I've seen some fantastic bargains come through Camelot.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

6 members found this post helpful.

That was my point. He obviously has a good eye for horses and picks some nice ones. The horses no longer need "rescued" as they are no longer in danger but that doesn't stop "the truck is coming!!!!!" from being posted over and over and over on FB and the like.

However it comes about, Camelot seems to give some nicer horses a chance to get off the conveyor belt to a can. And that is a very good thing. The Mimi story is wonderful.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Wait, I thought Camelot was not an auction? It is a feedlot more or less where the owner collects horses he has bought at auctions around the area and people buy them from there at a price he sets, not an amount they bid upon. He picks the nice ones because they sell better then lets the public market them for him by falsely suggesting they will go to slaughter if they are not sold. No mystery to me.
    Camelot is an auction, if a horse does not sell at auction it may go to the feedlot. And a rescuer may rescue it at a price set by the auction house.

They pick up horses at New Holland that they think may resell at a better price, anyone can bid during auction. My barn has picked up a few schoolies there.

Whether all the proper paperwork is in order is another issue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Camelot's proprietor obtains most of the horses at the Monday auction at New Holland in PA (a definite hellhole of an auction barn where many sold do go straight to slaughter).
    We've gotten some great horses from New Holland. You are correct that they sell to the killbuyer there (and the killpen is more than I can bear, which is why I don't go too often), but other than that, what makes you say it is a "hellhole"?
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

People may sometimes suck but so does dying, getting divorced or going bankrupt and a court ordered dispersal with a time limit. Ongoing Chemo is a byatch on the pocketbook too. People have to sell sometimes, that is one reason for auctions that has nothing to do with abuse and kill buyers.

This one did sell for 625. It's probably a hony, not a Pony that sticks 14.2 or under. Broke (more or less) Western but probably not kid safe and awfully small for most adults and the resale Hunter market. Been out in a field judging by the chunk of missing hair on the hip. Good weight, basically healthy, dull coat-probably have not worn out alot of brushes on her although they did clean her up nicely grooming wise and stand her up nice for that picture.

I don't see how you can condemn the fact she was there and somebody did snap her up. Looks like whoever owned her was out of money and that is the way to buy them. Auctions are where they can be found hidden amongst the unsound, unhealthy and....nutty ones.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.