The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Remy gets to finally do what he was bred for...

Today, at almost 21 months Remy had his first day of pointer school

He is our German Shorthaired and while he can fetch and likes to stalk and does point naturally we do not know how to train a hunting dog, and we have decided that he really needs to learn how, his parents hunted and he just seems to have such natural talent.

And, he loved it, I did not go, my husband took him as I had to work, they introduced him to birds and worked on "whoa" and on retrieving the bird and dropping (which he did very well at) and on finding a trail/ scenting.

He has homework to do and his next lesson should (if we did his homework well) have him actually pointing.

And on a small bragging note, you knew it was coming, the facility owner (1200 acre hunting lands) liked the look of him from the moment he stepped out of the car, and the trainer thinks he has very natural ability and should make a good hunting dog, they were a bit sad that he was neutered as they so far like his look and his talent and were shocked at where we got him from and the price we paid (backyard-ish and very cheap)

Go Remy, I hope he keeps on liking this and doing well, looks like I need to learn how to hunt birds...

Congratulations! That is awesome
    You are very fortunate to have lucked onto one with good hunting lines from a backyard breeder. Being encouraged to do the job his breed is known for is the best gift you could give him, and yourself. I'm always saddened to see hunting breeds forced into being full-time couch potatoes when they dream of running through fields of birds

Thank you, and happy hunting
    HRMT

I concur; videos are a must!

Good on you for realizing how important it is to allow a purpose-bred dog to do what he was bred to do. Having been the owner of both finely bred field and conformation Labradors, I shudder to think how miserable my bestest field girl would have been in the wrong home. Even my "mixes" - bred for a dual purpose Lab from a mix of field and show lines - were avid retrievers, and we worked field training and tons of Frisbee My "trophy Lab", my almost-a-CH Lab Hero, is the first Lab who isn't really all that interested in retrieving, treating it as more of a pleasant temporary distraction-bummer Ah well, he's certainly gooood-looking, and at least I have 2 insanely motivated, hard-swimming JRT retrievers

Its such a terrific way to have fun in the Great Outdoors learning a new skill while you blatantly admire your wonderful dog fulfilling his genetic destiny. Have lots of fun!!

Default Lovey1121 :)

I had to giggle when I read your post. Our chocolate lab is a "tried to dig under the gate with his last ounce of determination" rescue who for the last ten years has been called Mr. Fetchit.

Frisbees, halters, his ever increasing stash of training devices, and actual real birds during the season He lives to fetch! He's slowing down a little now, but still a good'un.
    HRMT

We have a GSP as well and although she is now pusing 15(!) when she was a pup she went to what we call, Bird dog 101. This dog has the most natural talent that it took literally no time at all to train her. DH used to frequent one of those bird farms where they plant birds to hunt and the owners would all get excited when Sadie showed up and they'd all go out and watch her work a field.

It saddens me when horse people get border collies, aussie shepherds or other herding breeds and then punish the dog when it tries to herd the horses. It's only doing what comes naturally by instinct. If you don't want the dog to herd, get one that doesn't. It's not the dog's fault.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Good on you for realizing how important it is to allow a purpose-bred dog to do what he was bred to do.
    That's one of the reasons I like foxhunting: watching hounds do what hounds are meant to do.

And, it's one of the reasons I'm bummed for our beagle. He's from hunting lines, but is a house pet. I guess I could try hunting him myself, but for now, our walks are not just for exercising his legs, but for exercising his nose.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

HorsesR, lucky you! Rabid retrievers are so much fun to have around!
    Quote Originally Posted by HorsesRMyTherapy View Post
    I had to giggle when I read your post. Our chocolate lab is a "tried to dig under the gate with his last ounce of determination" rescue who for the last ten years has been called Mr. Fetchit.

Frisbees, halters, his ever increasing stash of training devices, and actual real birds during the season He lives to fetch! He's slowing down a little now, but still a good'un.

I am planning on going to his future classes and will def be taking pics and video, ordered a new card for the camera so we have lots of space

Remy prefers the frisbee to the ball and I think he likes the slight unpredictibly of the frisbee, Whiskey our gone but not forgoten HeelerxGSP loved the ball but did not understand the frisbee

I am planning on going to his future classes and will def be taking pics and video, ordered a new card for the camera so we have lots of space

Remy prefers the frisbee to the ball and I think he likes the slight unpredictibly of the frisbee, Whiskey our gone but not forgoten HeelerxGSP loved the ball but did not understand the frisbee

I bred GSHPs for 20 yrs, true hunting stock, and I absolutely love the breed. I don't think any of mine would have made good couch potatoes unless they had been active and blew out all of their energy during the day.

My original male, Rivet, was a double state Frisbee champion, 2nd in the East Coast Regional Finals and we missed going out to the Rose Bowl Canine Frisbee championships by one point. He had had several write ups in our local paper as my town followed his campaign for the title. That was our 15 seconds of fame!

Pictures! And have a blast hunting your guy. I love to watch them work.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls