The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle

My horse was a little under weight when I got him a saddle which now severly pinches him. When I got it the sadde pinched him a litle but its all I had and I wasn't a very informed horse owner (my trainer did bother with saddle fitting so I didn't no it matterd til later). I have an english saddle that fits perfect but he is still in training and is a very forward horse so I am only training in a western saddle so I have a better seat and a horn for emergency and as a tool. For the time being I have stopped riding until I get him a saddle that fits.

Any way now that you know the life history of my saddle :P heres my question, what is your favorite brand or a brand that is no good? I'm and looking for a wide tree, leather that will be durable but not crazy expensive, it is just for training and mybe a few speed events. I am planning on having him fitted but I want a few brands in mind and a few brands that I know to stay away from because they arn't durable. Thanks!

How much do you want to spend?

I was hoping to not go over 500

Older Circle Y, Billy Cook, Tex Tans should be just fine. And doable at $500. Older saddles were better made with a better quality leather and many times real fleece on the underside.

I saw a 1980 Circle Y trophy barrel saddle in an antique store yesterday in really good condition. I didnt buy it but 6 months ago I would have. Keep an eye out for a trophy saddle, it could be a great deal.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't do an older saddle if you're looking for a wide tree. It's a shame b/c the older saddles are a much better quality but most of them are on a semi-qh tree.

Most wide trees in that price range aren't going to be the highest quality but they can work quite well.

tacktrader.com or horsesaddleshop will give you a broad spectrum of things to think about.