The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Aw man that sucks RIP Ollie run free buddy.

and Lisa is being attacked because she gelded him!!!! oh my God... she has to defend herself because she and his rescuers gelded him.... poor poor horse! At least, he did get care and love at the end, but what a sad story. He was so beautiful RIP Ollie! you deserved so much better!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty sure they euthanized him; I remember reading on one of the updates from the Vet that she put up this morning that they euth'd him.

I applaud Lisa for the work she put into this majestic creature & to those who donated to his care. He told Lisa it was time to go, and she listened, as any responsible owner or caregiver should do.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

3 members found this post helpful.

The FPF update posted this morning:

Official Statement from Ollies OSU treatment team:

“To the many supporters of Ollie and Frog Pond Farm. Last evening Ollie’s healthcare team made the difficult but selfless decision to end his painful battle with laminitis. Over the preceding 24-36 hours, Ollie was becoming more refractory to pain medication, was unwilling to stand even with support of the sling and his appetite had also decreased. Xrays of his feet showed a minor increase in rotation but no severe radiographic change, however his increase in foot pain was undeniable despite increasing his pain medication. As a result, Ollie spent more time laying down to take weight off his feet and yesterday afternoon his battle with laminitis became too great. Being so big, all of the known associated problems with prolonged recumbency also worsened. Lisa and her family immediately came to his side and made a VERY difficult but necessary decision to afford Ollie peace and relief from a crippling and frustrating condition (laminitis) and Ollie was euthanized with many supporters around him.

The OSU healthcare team are so thankful to all the supporters of this wonderful horse and to Lisa and her group for trying valiantly to save this special horse. Our thoughts are with all of you and we understand that this is a sad time but want to remind everyone that Ollie is no longer in pain and suffering which is ultimately the right decision. ‘Rest in peace now, big horse.’

Sincerely,

Drs Sam Hurcombe, Teresa Burns, Vikki Scott and Rachel Liepman”

Awww. So sad. Shires are such lovely creatures and Ollie looked like an extra special one. So sad his life took a downhill turn. He was lucky, though, to have caring people around him at the end.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I'm pretty sure they euthanized him; I remember reading on one of the updates from the Vet that she put up this morning that they euth'd him.

I applaud Lisa for the work she put into this majestic creature & to those who donated to his care. He told Lisa it was time to go, and she listened, as any responsible owner or caregiver should do.
    Thanks for the correction!

RIP Big Horse.

RIP Ollie. Such a sad story! But at least he had good care and love at the end...

Sounds like they did the right thing. At least he is no longer in pain, poor thing.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Such a shame, he came so far and then to crash. But at least he's not in pain now.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

[QUOTE ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2255453&type=1
    ... [/QUOTE]

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but why do the X-rays appear to show a thumbtack in the sole of the 2 hooves?

to show the location of the point of the frog
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

There was a post from FPF I think that explained the thumb tack.

So and old thread I know but I was on FP's page today reading about the brewhaha concerning the adoption and rehoming of a mini she had and her open refusal to have a coggins pulled on the mini because it would traumatize her.

Anyway what I did stumble upon over in the posts by others was a statement written by a women whom appears to be the mother of Olivers original owner. If you believe what she says apparently that owner tried unsucessuflly multiple times to contact Lisa to bring Oliver home. Each time her information was removed and no contact made. Now why in Gods name would Lisa behave that way. This is the person who owned Oliver during his show career who apparently sold him to stand stud /be retired from the show life with the belief he would be cared for in the highest regard. Why shut her out ..or not allow her to reclaim her former horse?? If FP is a rescue solely about the betterment and salvation of animals what better out come for Oliver would there have been then to return him to his first owner who clearly cared for and loved him.

"Helen StanleyMy daughter Lisa Stanley being the owner of Oliver since he was 2 1/2 months old till sold to Sandy Lerner to live a glorious llife in luxury. What happened after that to final condition is a puzzel. Oliver was tattooed and a call to the Shire registry would revealed Lisa's name. She would have come and got him and SAVED him. In trying to contact you her site was removed and again removed. So sad!!! He became a Breyer horse because of her. She made him a Champion in Canada, etc. Otherwise, you missed the boat with Oliver!!"

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Well, I don't know that Lisa could have saved him as he was being treated at a reputable hospital but I agree that it seems strange that they would ignore her like that.

I think she means that if she'd been called long ago or as soon as there was a problem she would've taken him and it never would've gone as far as having to be treated at OSU.

It certainly seemed to me that the former owner was attempting to contact her when it became public that she had the horse. In hopes of reacquiring him and that each time she did so her posts/information were removed from the public page.

Seems a little shady. This Lisa Stanley was not the women who mistreated him but the person through whom he showed etc. His old photos show him to be excellent condition. If I was a rescue and a former owner who had treated the horse well approached me about reclaiming him ...why in gods name would you delete / ignore their attempts other then for selfish reasons.

4 members found this post helpful.

Very odd and very troubling. I don't know if the story about Ollie's previous owner is true or not, but the saga of the mini with no Coggins is inexcusable. I get that people pull horses without an up to date Coggins to get them out of a bad situation quickly, but that's not what happened here - she had time to get the Coggins and simply refused because the horse wouldn't tolerate it - what?!? So, if that's the case how did they get the horse loaded, vet work done, farrier, get to it's new home, etc, etc, etc?

None of this is passing the "smell" test.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Seems a little shady. This Lisa Stanley was not the women who mistreated him but the person through whom he showed etc. His old photos show him to be excellent condition. If I was a rescue and a former owner who had treated the horse well approached me about reclaiming him ...why in gods name would you delete / ignore their attempts other then for selfish reasons.
    Because lots of rescues have a butterflies and rainbows theory to life and they think that any previous owner, no matter how far down the line, is at fault when a horse ends up in a bad place. If that owner had properly cared for the horse and kept it forever then the horse never would have ended up in need of rescuing.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Because lots of rescues have a butterflies and rainbows theory to life and they think that any previous owner, no matter how far down the line, is at fault when a horse ends up in a bad place. If that owner had properly cared for the horse and kept it forever then the horse never would have ended up in need of rescuing.
    Because that shows a firm grasp on reality and utter sanity !

Beyond that as pointed out above I am SHOCKED at the number of "supporters" of FPR that are ok with her openly rehoming/refusing to personally have a coggins pulled on that mini mare. Now of course because someone acted like the bad guy and turned her in ...its been done.. begrudgingly. Also seems like it was not the drama filled pony traumatizing event she made it out like it was going to be.
    I've officially seen it all a rescue publicly REFUSING/Rebuking that they had/have to draw a coggins on a horse because it might scare them and people supporting that idea.