The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage saddle sliding forward- solutions?

I've been having a problem with my dressage saddle (Amerigo Vega monoflap, medium tree, 18") sliding forward on to my horses shoulder. This happens even when using an anatomic girth designed for a forward girth groove, which my horse has.

I've had the saddle fitter out who said the saddle fits the horse great. And the tree shape front to back is a "90% match" to my horses back. The tree width was said to be ok too. The saddle had some excess flocking removed to create a bit more space and it was supposed to help with the sliding forward issue.

I got the saddle back and it seems to fit great - very even contact throughout the whole panel, no tight spots (not even under the tree points) and there is about 3 fingers of space between the wither and pommel. But it was still sliding forward. The saddle fitter said to give it 10-12 rides for the flocking to settle and the saddle should stop sliding forward.

Well 15 rides later and it's still sliding forward onto his shoulders, to the point where its pommel high for a dressage saddle. I've sent a text to the saddle fitter letting them know, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

Today I tried a generic non-slip pad (knock off the barnsby dressage one), which has a neoprene like layer on top, and the underside has that non-slip material, similar to those cheap place mat things you can put in your cupboards to protect your dishes. It's kind of hard to describe... like a thin yoga mat, but with holes. The mat along with the anatomic girth held the saddle in place, but afterwards the fur behind my horses shoulders was all ruffled and rubbed up. Well, that couldn't of felt nice during our ride and I'm not sure if that's a long term solution (potential for saddle sores).

So my question is, are there any non-slip saddle pads out there that don't pull against the hair? What about the Ecogold ones?

Specifically the 'Stabilizer' https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info....products_id=38

or the 'Secure' one https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info....products_id=46

I'm not going to buy a pad until I hear back from the saddle fitter, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if they were able to ever fix it?

I should point out that I've used a dressage saddle on him with a point billet and the saddle stayed in place. However, my current saddle is a monoflap, so I don't think changing the billets to a point billet is possible. Perhaps its best to find a different saddle with a point billet than putting more money into this saddle and associated anatomic girths and non-slip pads. It's too bad, since I loooove the saddle.

Has this been happening recently? Does your horse have a winter coat (i.e. the saddle/pad is sitting on unclipped hair)? If so, I wouldn't worry about the rubbed hair. My gelding has the same issue in the winter, where his half-pad roughs his hair up, but it doesn't cause any soreness or take the hair off, and it only happens in the winter. If your saddle isn't moving and he doesn't seem sore, I wouldn't worry about it. If this happens with a summer coat, then it sounds like things are moving around too much and could cause a friction rub/burn, but my guess is that it's because of the winter hair. HTH!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I'm going to disagree with your fitter & suggest that this saddle does NOT fit the "horse in motion"

That said, I do think a saddle pad that has non-slip material both top & bottom may be a better answer than the separate pieces, check wit Eco-gold, but I believe they guarantee customer satisfaction on their products so you should be able to return for a full refund (less shipping) if neither pad works - I'd call & discuss the pads with staff.

A friend swears by the Anky pads (with the rubberized letters that help hold the saddle in place & other non-slip material on the horse side) - the colors are lovely
    They retail at the efo for ~$50

eventer_mi, yes my horse is unclipped and he is shedding right now. So maybe that's why it seems like there may be too much friction.

Alto, the pad I'm using has non-slip material on both sides of the same pad, they're just different types of material. I think I will give Ecogold a call, but I'm not buying anything until I hear back from the saddle fitter. The saddle fits beautifull statically, except the billet are about a girths widths back from the girth groove. But yes, once the horse starts moving things go all haywire. I wonder if a different billet arrangement is the answer?

I don't have this problem with close contact saddles with him. Although my current one doesn't fit him either (bridges), so it's not in use.

Arggh, I think I'm going to go crazy from these saddle fit issues!!!

I was gonna say point billet until I got to the last paragraph. Good luck! I understand how frustrating this can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    The saddle fits beautifull statically, except the billet are about a girths widths back from the girth groove. But yes, once the horse starts moving things go all haywire. I wonder if a different billet arrangement is the answer?
    This is probably the issue: the saddle is being pulled forward by the girth because the billets aren't in the right spot. I would try getting v-point billets added so the billets line up properly with where the girth needs to sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
    This is probably the issue: the saddle is being pulled forward by the girth because the billets aren't in the right spot. I would try getting v-point billets added so the billets line up properly with where the girth needs to sit.
    The saddle is a mono flap, so I'm not sure if it's possible to have the billets changed to that configuration. The back billet is on a V, but the front billet is not a point billet.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    The saddle is a mono flap, so I'm not sure if it's possible to have the billets changed to that configuration. The back billet is on a V, but the front billet is not a point billet.
    I guess you would have to ask a saddle maker if it could be changed. Otherwise you may have to get another saddle

Have you tried a crupper?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
    I guess you would have to ask a saddle maker if it could be changed. Otherwise you may have to get another saddle

Have you tried a crupper?

Yeah, getting a different saddle is what I'm afraid I might have to do. I looove this saddle, but if it's not going to work for my horse I can't use it on him. Dang billets!!! I'll definitely see if the Master Saddlefitter (or whatever they're called) that my saddlefitter works with can work some magic and make the Vega work before I decide what to do.

I haven't tried a crupper. I don't think my horse would tolerate one. And I think it would just transfer the pressure from pushing on his shoulders to pulling on his tail, which would likely elicit a bucking fit. Besides, I think they look kinda dorky.

Before getting into saddle alterations, I'd get some reps out & try various saddles, try to get 1-2 week trials on the saddles that seem to fit ... if you alter the Vega & that doesn't help (enough), chances are you'll have a much more difficult sell.

Had this problem with my dressage saddle on my mare
    We added a v-billet, put some additional flocking in the front panels and used a contour girth
    Did not solve the problem 100% but it was enough that it did not interfere with her shoulder movement
    No-slip pad did diddly squat for me
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

There are tons of things that can cause a saddle to slip forward: too narrow in the tree, incorrect billet configuration, too thick in the rear panel ... the list goes on. Can you post a photo of the saddle on your horse, girthed to riding tightness, with just a thin pad? That would be a help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    There are tons of things that can cause a saddle to slip forward: too narrow in the tree, incorrect billet configuration, too thick in the rear panel ... the list goes on. Can you post a photo of the saddle on your horse, girthed to riding tightness, with just a thin pad? That would be a help.
    yes I can do that tomorrow morning. Do you want me to use the anatomic girth or a regular short girth?

if you alter the Vega & that doesn't help (enough), chances are you'll have a much more difficult sell.
    Yes that is a very valid point. I'm reluctant to put much more money into this saddle. Last fall I had saddlefitter #1 look at it and he added flocking. The saddle still slid forward. I moved out of province shortly after before saddlefitter #1 could adress it. So that was over $100 spent. Then I had saddlefitter #2 look at it and she took back tracing and then I sent the saddle to Master Saddle Fitter in the next province over to have flocking pulled out. So that was like $150 for the flocking plus $120 total in shipping. Then $80 for the anatomic girth and $90 for the non-slip pad. So that's a total of $540 spent trying to stop this damn saddle from sliding forward.

For the photo, either girth would be fine.

And ouch. That's an awful lot of money to have spent and still have the saddle slipping forward ...

My solution is to just use a crupper - but I ride a fat pony, and I secretly like the look You'd be surprised how little he minded the first time I put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    For the photo, either girth would be fine.

And ouch. That's an awful lot of money to have spent and still have the saddle slipping forward ...
    Kitt, I pm'd you a link to some pictures.