The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rubinstein semen- again :)

So.

I have some Rubinstein semen (2 or 3 doses from memory), that I only pay for if my mare is pregnant at 25 days. Otherwise it's just my vet costs.

Any suggestions on the best way to maximise my chances? My repro vets are good, but are not doing ICSI and similar techniques.

I have heard that the main issue with his frozen is the thawing? Is this correct?

Cheers in advance.

Damn, girl. You need to paint yourself blue and dance naked under the next new moon when it's raining................and hire a FABULOUS repro person............ and then roll the dice.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

7 members found this post helpful.

Damn, hasn't rained here in months....and when the time comes will green do?

1 members found this post helpful.

Nope. Green won't do. Must be blue. That Rubenstein semen is VERY picky.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Send your mare to New Zealand where they got the mare pregnant with the Donnerhall semen. 8 )

1 members found this post helpful.

www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Thanks for the replies (and for the pm that I received).

I've got the semen, and there's no way. Not try with it, but its good to know my chances. Which. Sort of knew, but had also heard of the odd miracle.

My repro vet is leasing one of my mares off me this season so I might have to do some sucking up to her regarding researching our chances.

I have a RB granddaughter and great grand daughter and I LOVE them, so. Just have to try

Someone on COTH got a mare in foal to R not so long ago - I remember everyone was amazed. Do't what the outcome was though.

Best of luck - I say GO FOR IT! It certainly isn't going to get your mare pregnant sitting in a tank

Quote Originally Posted by Kerole View Post
    Someone on COTH got a mare in foal to R not so long ago - I remember everyone was amazed. Do't what the outcome was though.

Best of luck - I say GO FOR IT! It certainly isn't going to get your mare pregnant sitting in a tank
    i remember this too. I know the mare got in foal but does anyone know what the final outcome was? Good luck with your breeding and sorry but I have heard negative things about his semen other than this one.
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

The COTH member that got a mare pregnant with it (actually, she got TWO mares pregnant) was Lucy Sharp of Royal Equus Farm in Texas. Her then husband was a vet and he somehow managed to do it when just about no one else could. He now doesn't do horses - just small animals. SO SAD, as he was obviously quite good at the equine stuff.

Good luck. Can't help with the Rubenstein frozen semen issue.......but IF you get the foal you should love it.
    I've crossed the R line with mine.......and they have the most fantastic attitudes!!! EASY and TRUSTWORTHY in addition to Athletic!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Thanks Sonesta! I had a look at her website. She has one of those R babies, a filly newly under saddle, for sale for 65K. I'm not sure what became of the other pregancy - I suspect she is keeping it!

The other pregnancy was the year before and resulted in (I think) a stallion prospect colt, but he died, I believe, from an accident or something. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    The other pregnancy was the year before and resulted in (I think) a stallion prospect colt, but he died, I believe, from an accident or something. Very sad.
    This is a real tragedy. She is extremely lucky to even have the one. I had a Rubenstein mare that produced lovely foals. If I had this mare I don't know if I would sell her. I would be doing ET's like mad if I was her. Do you know if the mare has had any foals?
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

I believe the mare is only 3? You are right I'd be doing ETs like a madman too!