The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a Safe boarding arrangement for a blind horse

I've seen so many good people on here helping other people with their boarding woes and I really hope someone out there can help me out too.

I (well, my fiance) currently have one horse, big blind Pete from the giveaways forum. I love where he's boarded, love the woman that runs the place, but I'm not exactly comfortable with nobody being there to keep an eye on the place in case something happens. Plus, it's 45 minutes from my house and with him being a special needs boy, that's a bit far for me because I love going out to spend time with him and make sure he's eating and drinking.

I wish I could just keep him at home, but living in the small neighborhood of an old mill town that's just not possible.
    Could anyone help out with names/locations of small places around here that might have a small (wood fenced) paddock for him? He's really no trouble and is a big lovebug. I'm just a few miles outside of Mocksville, NC. I can give a better location if needed, just didn't want to come out and say "hey this is where my house is!" right off the bat

Thanks in advance everyone.
    Last edited by zafirah; Mar. 7, 2013 at 09:13 PM.

You adopted a blind horse from the giveaways forum? How great of you.

Have you tried placing ads in tack stores/feed stores near you?

And maybe place an ad on craiglist.

If your horse is in a good place now, please be careful about moving him. Some commercial barns are good with handicapped horses as are some private barns. At one barn, an old horse let a pony with severe ERU follow him around in the pasture.

2 members found this post helpful.

There really aren't any tack stores around, at least none that I know of, but I will look into feed stores.

He currently has a seeing eye horse that he mills about with, but she may be sold soon. I really do like where he is now, but with nobody being there to keep an eye on the horses, plus the fact that the woman that runs the barn is giving some serious thought to taking her horses and boarding them to take the strain off of her, I've got to find something to do with him that will be great for him and better for me

Well an idea for helping horse keep track of his fence, is to get those little windchimes and hang them down the wire. Cheap ones can be found at Dollar Stores.

One of the 4-H kids did this with her old, blind horse, kept alone in an electric wire only, fenced paddock, so the other horses didn't shove mare around. Horse quickly learned that the tinkling noise meant the fence was there, and wouldn't get very close to the wire. Still had plenty of room to graze and move about in larger paddock space. I know they had several chimes on each side of the paddock, and horse never seemed to get into the wire. Worked well for a couple years, when the horse died.

Chimes held up pretty well in the sun and weather, not very large at about a 6" total length. Could be hung on any fence type, to alert horse to wire presence. They did jingle at any kind of breeze. Cheap and easy to replace if needed.

Good luck with your guy.

He has wood fencing where he is now, the issue is that I need to find a place that is closer, or at least one that someone is always nearby. He can see a little bit out of one eye, but the other is completely blind.

Ill change the title to make my intentions a bit clearer

Zafirah, good luck.

My mare's sire went blind a few years ago from a combination of infections that really should have killed him. The breeders bought a mini gelding for him, and put a collar with a bell around his neck. They were best buddies from the get-go -- but this is a very gentle stallion. The mini looks just like him, except smaller -- a true "Mini-Me!" Your guy seems like he might benefit from a similar arrangement.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quietann, they sound like an adorable pair!

Ideally, I'd like to find a really small place to keep him and get him either a sweet little mini, pony, or even another retiree to keep him company. I'd almost be worried about putting him with a mini because he's so big he might walk right over the little fellow and not even realize it!

If all else fails, I'll keep him where he is, with a little buddy, and make the drive every day. I just wish he was closer

If he could stay where he is it would be easier on him rather than learning the obstacles in a new place. I gave away a little black pony to a lady with a a large, blind black percheron-x -- they looked like dot and dash, but were the cutest couple and it worked out very well. The bell on the pony is a great idea.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

If he could stay where he is it would be easier on him rather than learning the obstacles in a new place. I gave away a little black pony to a lady with a a large, blind black percheron-x -- they looked like dot and dash, but were the cutest couple and it worked out very well. The bell on the pony is a great idea.

If the horse is doing well where he is, do not stress him out by moving him. I am sorry, but you do not need to be on the property 24/7 when boarding horses. I'm not sure what "nobody being there" means for a boarding barn. I'm on my property on weekends only and sometimes during the week. I have boarders and trainers in and out, as well as a tenant who has a job who lives there. There are times where "nobody" is present and that seems to work out fine. If the horse is happy in his location, I would leave him there. Obviously he has been doing fine with it.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

3 members found this post helpful.

If you need to be obsessivve, euthanise. And get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Lin, this is totally uncalled for. The OP is asking for advice. Assuming the horse is healthy with his only issue being blindness, euthing is way down on the list of things to do. Obviously OP loves the horse and wants to spend more time with him. Be nice, it sometimes is good to do that, you know?

11 members found this post helpful.

How trashy.

OP thank you for stepping up and offering this guy a good life. I am not in the area but I will poke around online and see if I come up with anything that looks promising. Are you looking for 24/7 turnout with 1-2 safe companions or turnout alone?

6 members found this post helpful.

http://www.dixielandfarm.com/Boarding.html
    http://www.ttcmocksville.com/content/boarding.html - rubber fencing sounds interesting and I like that they have run in sheds in every pasture
    http://www.newhorse.com/profile/b.51....u.02175b.html
    http://www.newhorse.com/page/horsebo...08.html?page=1

dixieland popped up a few times on forums as being a good facility although those posts were a few years old

What is it about COTH that attracts all these relatively new posters who are so negative. Dear old Pete falls into good hands who want to take care of him and someone chimes in to say euthanize...and then get over it. Honestly...
    can't help myself, it bugs me so much.

6 members found this post helpful.

My old gelding was totally blind the last 7/8 years of his life.

He was a smart cookie, and was a very calm boy. He knew to listen
    to the other horses to find out where the hay piles where in the field.
    He'd stop, listen, then head towards the sound of hay being eaten,
    then share a pile with a friend.

He also knew that if he followed the one fenceline along, he would bump
    into the water tank. He's walk along the fenceline so his side was
    touching it (wood fence), very slowly and carefully, until he gently
    bumped the tank. Then he'd drink.

The idea of the windchimes/bells on the fence is a good one. I put a set
    of bells on my horse's stall door so that he was never surpised by someone
    going in his stall - he always knew.

I'd suggest finding a place with wood fences, rather than electric, as he
    may use them to find his way around. My boy also has a 'seeing eye horse'
    old horse buddy who he hung out with all the time.

I also moved this horse 2x in his later years. The first time in the new field, I walked him around the perimeter fenceline several times (with no horses in the field) slapping the fence with my palm. Then I'd unclip the lead and just let him investigate. As I said, he was really calm and very sensible. He would wander around a bit on his own and figure out where things were. Then I'd just keep an eye on him for a little bit but he was okay after that.

Anyway, if your boy is the calm type, he shouldn't have any issues adjusting
    to a new place.

What? Where did that come from?!?
    Shaking head...

Well somebody got a bug up their butt.

Foxtrot's- For right now at least, I'll be keeping him where he is, but looking for something closer. I've been on the lookout for pony buddies as well, but haven't found much so far. If a pony does pop up out of the blue, I'll get a collar for it with a bell on it. I'd love to see him with a buddy that won't get fussy and push him out of his food. Additionally, at this particular barn I can't bring him inside to a stall to feed as he is FAR too big for any of them, plus I know BM won't bring him in, last time she tried to halter him he kicked her in the hip

IronwoodFarm- "nobody" being there means there is not a soul to be found. Owner of the property is driving across the country 6 days a week, and BM only goes out morning/night to feed and will go out on Sunday to spend time with her retiree. I am the only "boarder" and we have no trainers that go in and out. The main reason it bothers me is because a couple of weeks ago there was a new horse put out with him and his buddy. Unsupervised. I found out afterwards that he hadn't eaten because this new horse wouldn't let him, she also wouldn't let him near the water trough or hay bale. He colicked and nobody was there to do anything until I got there. Needless to say, the new mare got moved over to the "big boy" pasture and it took a week for Pete to relax and come up to eat normally again.

GraceLikeRain- Thank you. Yes I am trying for 24/7 turnout since that's what he's used to. Pasture buddies are also fine as long as he can "get away" if they bully him a bit. I looked into Dixieland a while back, will contact them again! TTC, while not awful, is far too expensive for a retired horse. I believe last time I checked they charge $600 per month Oh my gosh, the third link you posted is to a place about 10 minutes from me! I found them on Craigslist a couple of months back, but lost the contact info I had for them. Already got ahold of them to see what they could offer!

Roxiellsk- Sounds about like Pete! He's very calm and easy going, but very timid. He will sometimes walk to the fence, bump it with his nose and follow it from one spot to another. He will follow sounds, especially if I tap a feed pan with my fingers or slosh my hand around in the water trough. I'll check prices on bells the next time I'm out. I have some, but they're the very teeny ones about as big around as a penny and it takes an unusual amount of movement to make any noise with them.

ETA: I'm so glad to hear from people with first and secondhand experience with other blind horses! Thanks so much!

I'm not really quite in that area enough to know of places, although TTC is a great facility. But you could check with Purgason's in Summerfield - they have a huge list of boarding places, and might know of some in that area. Actually even if TTC isn't a good fit, I would bet they could point you to some other places in the area.

Good for you for taking in a special needs guy!

When my elderly horse lost his sight, we put a bell on the halter of the pony he was turned out with. Helped him keep track of his friend and not feel so lost...