The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default (Human) Boot Care

I am old school and have always used saddle soap and shoe polish on my boots, but I recently read of someone who treated their boots just as they did their tack -- with leather cleaner followed by leather conditioner. What are the pros and cons of each method, and can you switch back and forth?
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Saddle soap has a tendency to dry leather. I don't use it.

Instead I use Stubben Leathersafe to clean and Meltonian paste wax to polish. Works quite well here in East TN a/k/a Mud Central.

If I were going to do "the full monty" I'd use a final coat of Kiwi polish to add a "spit shine" top coat.

There are other good leather cleaners out there. It's tough to beat the Meltonian products.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I have heard from the lady at the tack store (and just read it again today in Practical Horseman) that you should never use saddle soaps on your boots as it can permanently dull the shine. They prefer you just use water if possible to clean them (they said very light castile soap if you need a touch more cleaning) then shoe polish.

You are doing it right. Clean and polish. You do not clean boots the same way you treat tack because it is a different kind of leather. If you do they will never shine up as well as they once did.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wait a minute fourmares, who are you addressing your comment to when "you say you are doing it right"?

But, I think you answered my question. You're saying if you use leather conditioner on them, they'll never polish up as well.

I think I'll switch away from the saddle soap to one of the leather cleaners, and then follow with shoe polish.

I have to say tho, based on the one time of using the leather conditioner, that if you don't need/want a shiny boot, if gives a very good result.

freespeling

I have no trouble putting a "parade ground shine" on Dehner Field Boots or my French Calf English dress boots. I use Leathsafe and Meltonian on both (as well as ALL my other work and dress boots).

Not all leather cleaners are created equal.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I don't think anyone is questioning the leather CLEANER, it's the leather CONDITIONER, which puts oil into the leather. This softens it, but apparently also prevents polish from adhering. Or so the theory goes.

And when I say CLEANER, I'm not referring to saddle soap, but the cleaners they sell for leather car seats, such as Lexol and Meltonian.

freespeling