The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your favourite daily ulcer supplement?

I currently have two horses on U-gard powder and they do quite well on it (improvement in wind sucking and nervous behaviour). I am looking at other options, as it is very messy and if their feed doesn't get wet down it sifts through their grain. I don't see any results from the U-gard pellets, so I am guessing that all of the extra kaolin clay in the powder form may be helping; I don't know what else would be different between the pellets and powder. I can't try the liquid right now because it will freeze, and I'd rather have something that I can add to their pre-made grain bags.

I am investigating what other options people are having good luck with these days. Affordability is a consideration.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Ranitidine, as needed
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Hay. Lots of it.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Hay. Lots of it.
    They already get plenty of that. Enough to eat 24/7 and extra to pee on and drag around for good measure. :|

Finish Line U7 comes in a liquid or a powder form. At my last barn, we usually fed the powder and didn't really have issues with it sifting down or getting purposely eaten around. For a couple of horses we noticed some big positives, for others it was harder to tell if it was doing anything, but most of these were on it as a "well it seems like they could have ulcers, lets give it a try" program rather than part of managing an major ulcer dilemma.

Ulser shield has worked wonders for a couple of horses in my barn.
    http://www.choiceofchamps.com/shop/c.../en-us/d8.html

not expensive
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Weird, I use the U Gard pellets and couldn't be happier. I was sooo skeptical; I thought no way is this product going to work, but my mare has never had such a good appetite and is so much more comfortable.

I give 1 scoop twice daily. Maybe the container you had was expired or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Weird, I use the U Gard pellets and couldn't be happier. I was sooo skeptical; I thought no way is this product going to work, but my mare has never had such a good appetite and is so much more comfortable.

I give 1 scoop twice daily. Maybe the container you had was expired or something?
    I wish it was. I've tried them 2 or 3 times when I get fed-up with the powder, and the issues start creeping back. It would certainly be the easiest solution to this problem. I think the extra kaolin must be helping.
    Thanks for the ideas, folks. I will do some reading!

I have used the Progressive Pink Pellets on my hot, stressed TBs on several occasions and LOVE it. I used to be at a small barn that used a nutrition consultant from Progressive, and he actually handed me a brand new tub of it to try with my gelding for the loading dose. Worked wonders. Now that he's mostly retired the gelding is off it, but I would not hesitate to use it again or recommend it to everyone.
    OTTB owner.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I currently have two horses on U-gard powder and they do quite well on it (improvement in wind sucking and nervous behaviour). I am looking at other options, as it is very messy and if their feed doesn't get wet down it sifts through their grain. I don't see any results from the U-gard pellets, so I am guessing that all of the extra kaolin clay in the powder form may be helping; I don't know what else would be different between the pellets and powder. I can't try the liquid right now because it will freeze, and I'd rather have something that I can add to their pre-made grain bags.

I am investigating what other options people are having good luck with these days. Affordability is a consideration.
    UGuard comes in Pellets and liquid....works well! I really like SmartGut Pellets-has lots of important ingredients -covers all bases ....Uckele's GUT , Finish Lines U7Gastric Aide, Nutracell Labs Ulcer Aide Liquid, and Succeed , KER Ritetrac-although that's a powder ....Omega Alpha Gastra Fx

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    UGuard comes in Pellets and liquid....works well! I really like SmartGut Pellets-has lots of important ingredients -covers all bases ....Uckele's GUT , Finish Lines U7Gastric Aide, Nutracell Labs Ulcer Aide Liquid, and Succeed , KER Ritetrac-although that's a powder ....Omega Alpha Gastra Fx
    Have you used all or any of these? I'm aware that there are a ton of products on the market; looking for products that people are having good results with

Looking up the Progressive product now...

Quote Originally Posted by Whyevernot55 View Post
    I have used the Progressive Pink Pellets on my hot, stressed TBs on several occasions and LOVE it. I used to be at a small barn that used a nutrition consultant from Progressive, and he actually handed me a brand new tub of it to try with my gelding for the loading dose. Worked wonders. Now that he's mostly retired the gelding is off it, but I would not hesitate to use it again or recommend it to everyone.
    I'm having trouble finding information on this product. I can't find a list of ingredients, or a full analysis of it. It does look pricey though. A bucket is $126 from Heartland Vet (no idea what size it is), and if you buy it in pre-measured packets, a box of 12 (6-12 days worth) is $52. That's going to get expensive in a hurry for 2 horses .

My guy was on SmartGut for awhile and I was very happy with it, however with SmartPak's new Colicare program- I switched him to SmartDigest. He has been on it for 3 months now and he is better than ever! He has a very sensitive stomach and had ulcers when I first got him. I like to keep him on a daily supplement to help his hind gut as well. He gets 2 wells 1x day.

My horse is on SmartGut Ultra right now and I'm really happy with it. He's been getting it for a few months now (since his last bout of ulcers) and there's been no signs of the ulcers returning.

RiteTrac! It turned my hard keeper who wouldn't eat into a fat happy hungry pony! I had tried GastroGard and a combination of EquiShure and pop rocks, but RiteTrac won by far. Love it.

Kombat Boots, only thing that's ever worked on my gelding!

Uguard pellets definitely help my OTTB gelding. My vet was out recently and we discussed my supplements. He said that I could save $ and just add a scoop of alfalfa pellets to the feed instead of uguard. He said its equally rich in calcium which is what acts like an antacid. Anyone else tried this?
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Ranitidine, as needed
    3000 mg twice daily works like a charm on any horse I've tried it on. Around $30/month/horse if you get it at Costco.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Gobs of hay and lots of soaked beet pulp.