The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone used stall mattresses, brand recommendations?

Hi,
    I am about to build a new barn in FL for my horses (near WEF). My barn at home has stall mats, but recently I saw some adverts for stall mattresses, which look really nice (one piece and cushioned, should reduce bedding needs considerably). Woody Pet have them, also Classic Equine, a few others. Does anyone have experience using these, and advice on which brand to pick? Thanks in advance.

I have been in barns that had them, the classic equine version, and didn't like them at all. They are lumpy and I don't like that they bolt to your stall walls.
    For my barn I wanted something softer than traditional black rubber mats so I went with EVA mats. They have been the standard in the UK for years, not sure why they're so hard to come by here. I was going to get dairy cow ones but went with the Equi Mat. About the same cost as a mattress system. I am very pleased with them, they interlock and are much lighter than traditional black mats.

I've used both the "Soft Stall and Comfort Stall" both are pretty much identical........I've had my first two down for just over 10 years......my horses have 24/7 access to their paddocks so lot of walking in and out .......they are still going strong. I love them.....I don't find them lumpy at all.......all my horses love sleeping in their stalls. I would buy them again in a heart beat.

Dalemma

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    I've used both the "Soft Stall and Comfort Stall" both are pretty much identical........I've had my first two down for just over 10 years......my horses have 24/7 access to their paddocks so lot of walking in and out .......they are still going strong. I love them.....I don't find them lumpy at all.......all my horses love sleeping in their stalls. I would buy them again in a heart beat.

Dalemma
    We have both also - like the covering for comfort stalls better than soft stalls - we also used the covering material on the walls.

Thanks, had not heard of these two brands, I found them on-line now and will send off for quotes and info.

We have mattresses in the stalls in the barn I manage. Unfortunately, I don't know what they are. I think they may be Soft Stalls. They are quite nice (no lumps to them), and have been in for several years (I believe they were installed in 08). That being said, for bedding purposes, I don't see they save significantly on bedding than any well matted stall. I have the stalls bedded several inches thick with small banks (I prefer a couple of more inches in the bed and the banks, but my guy just can't grasp that concept). I don't find that we go through shavings in slower than barns I have been in that were matted with traditional mats. They are cushy and they are fun to show off. Beats me if they are really that much more comfortable to the horses (my horse has been on traditional mats and the mattresses and seems equally as happy).

I have comfortstall in two of my stalls. I use SIGNIFICANTLY less bedding in those stalls. Also, my pony, who sadly for him got moved from a comfort stall to standard rubber mats, will trot into the comfort stalls for a roll and a nap whenever he gets a chance. My only issue is that the foam does pack down where the horses stand while sleeping. Wondering if other brands do that. Am looking to put comfort mats in the other three stalls but would change brands.

Also, top cover is impervious, so when the dirty bedding is removed, there is no urine smell. I use Gardian Pine Pellets and can pick the messy horse in less than 10 minutes.