The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    I admit that this is a conspiracy theory thought... But the first thing that came to my mind was that having T out of competition (where he has doing poorly relative to his superhorse past), would be in the best interest of his present owners. It will allow the recent disappointing scores to fade from public memory, and his past brilliance will collect breedings.
    A convenient injury unrelated to riding is a perfect way to bow out of competing without having to eat humble pie.
    If they can't crack the T code, I don't think we will ever see that horse compete again. Any one else have the same thought?
    That's not a conspiracy theory. I don't even think it's cynicism at this point. What I do think is that it's an accurate assessment.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

7 members found this post helpful.

Well their professionalism is showing poorly. IMO the whole team needs a break, or they need to say enough is enough and move on. Look at his track record since he's been sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Totilas is the best dressage horse ever bred - with more coming up the pipeline. He is breathtaking to me.

This is why stallions are often retired when they reach the top of their tree, so they can qit while they are ahead. Racehorses, too. It goes beyond competition at that point ... $$$.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Is anyone really surprised that Totilas has been "injured" again? I wasn't surprised that Rath was "too sick" to go to the Olympics. As long as Totilas remains with Schockemoehle he will remain in seclusion with periodic "injuries". Zipping up my flame suit, but I worry about an unfortunate accident that will take his life just as these accidents have with other highly valued and insured horses.

Edward Gal must be absolutely sick over this. My heart goes out first to Totilas, then to Gal.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

5 members found this post helpful.

Pride is a very powerful force. I really can't imagine Schockemoehle ever admitting he was wrong and sending Totilas back to those that understood and loved him. The horse will just remain in seclusion to avoid further public humiliation for Schockemoehle.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    I admit that this is a conspiracy theory thought... But the first thing that came to my mind was that having T out of competition (where he has doing poorly relative to his superhorse past), would be in the best interest of his present owners. It will allow the recent disappointing scores to fade from public memory, and his past brilliance will collect breedings.
    A convenient injury unrelated to riding is a perfect way to bow out of competing without having to eat humble pie.
    If they can't crack the T code, I don't think we will ever see that horse compete again. Any one else have the same thought?
    It was my very first thought, but I didn't want a bunch of grief from COTHers.

He's getting tons of requests for breedings, and (in big part) because the first two years they offered semen, the mares were cherry-picked as the best of the best (of those who choose to take a chance). Consequently, his foals are quite nice and getting high prices at the auctions.

By 2014 (?) he will have sons old enough to go to the stallion testing, and with his connections you can be 95% assured some will be approved. They will have to be TRULY crappy not to be, and with the mares he was bred to, there is not much chance of this.

After than, Mr. T's rep as a breeding stallion will be secure. At least until it is proven his get can't do the deed. And we won't know THAT for another 8-10 yrs.

So there is really no need for him to continue to compete. It's not like he's going to lose out on a bunch of expensive prizes in the ring. And ALOT of his luster will disappear if he continues to shows as disappointingly as he has been.

Actually a smarter business move to say "oh, look -- he's hurt!"

As a breeder, if he is truly having this much difficulty staying sound in competition, I would have to put that in the mix when considering using him. That is, if I could ever afford him...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Is anyone really surprised that Totilas has been "injured" again? I wasn't surprised that Rath was "too sick" to go to the Olympics. As long as Totilas remains with Schockemoehle he will remain in seclusion with periodic "injuries". Zipping up my flame suit, but I worry about an unfortunate accident that will take his life just as these accidents have with other highly valued and insured horses.
    I doubt that very much. He's worth a fortune as a breeding stallion, as long as his SHOW performance doesn't continue deteriorating. An injury would certainly be an excellent reason to retire a valuable animal to stud and not risk any further...awkwardness in the ring. I'm NOT saying it IS a conspiracy, but build a history of injuries and an announcement he's retired would just make sense.

4 members found this post helpful.

If a stallion's "profit" is higher in the breeding shed after it has confirmed its value in competition over and over again...well, they head to the breeding shed.

This happens with TB Derby and TC winners almost immediately. They don't head to the breeding shed because they are no longer sound from the rigors of the sport in which they demonstrated their prowess. They head there to reap the rewards without the risk of injury in the sport as they continue on and increase that likelhood.

That said, YES, stallions can often have an accident in the shed, come off the phantom cattywampus, despite the best of handling and injure themselves (typically lower-leg, suspensory or hit themselves on the way off). Happened to one of mine who was long-listed.

Clearly, to continue to compete and the thousands (hundreds of thousands) it can cost for a horse of this talent and reverence, is not a profit center. Breeding him is.

I would not be suprised, if his injury prevents him from jumping a phantom, he will be taught to ground collect to get that frozen semen out there for the tremendous amount of income he can produce.

To fabricate and injury to keep a stallion who is not performing well under a new trainer/rider may be a "pride" thing...but I'll just bet it won't keep him out of the breeding shed.
    Last edited by sid; Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typos

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Totilas is the best dressage horse ever bred - with more coming up the pipeline.
    By this you mean the best dressage competition horse ? The owners of Salinero may differ with you. How many World Cups and Olympic gold medals for Sali ?

Yes Totilas had world record scores, but Valegro is now the world record holder for GP Special.

Totilas has yet to be proven as a dressage sire; his ability to consistently pass on his talent is unknown, and won't be known for a few years.

There's no doubt he's very talented and is at the elite level, but remember that he had the right person bring him along at the right time.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I wish they'd swallow their pride & go to Edward Gal for training of Totillas & Matthias.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    I wish they'd swallow their pride & go to Edward Gal for training of Totillas & Matthias.
    Perhaps Edward wouldn't want that opportunity and I couldn't blame him if he did feel that way.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Don't forget though that the Raths bought half of the horse and own the "sporting rights". While Paul S. is probably happy to have the horse retired at this point I am not sure the Raths would feel the same way.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

The injury ("twisted leg") must be fairly serious if he's out 6 months, through August (European Championships). I sincerely hope that he can get sound and compete again.

Does anyone know what happened with the lawsuit filed by PETA/Germany against the owners ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

It's such a shame. He's such a beautiful horse and has been through a lot.