The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kalele View Post
    You may run into a problem due to your foot size. Someone with a seven foot who is tall/slim is easier to fit than someone with a size ten, since the calf size goes up with the shoe size (with off the shelf books that is). I'd go with custom or semi-custom boots...no reason to spend all of that money on something less than perfect.
    Yeah, that's exactly the problem I experience...the big foot. And, mine is "only" 9.5. Boot companies assume that as your foot gets bigger, your calf gets wider...apparently there are not enough ectomorphic types out there . It's either custom or "semi-custom"...the latter are just off the shelf boots that have to be special ordered, because they are an odd size. Walking into a tack store, or ordering online with instant shipping, with a big foot and a 13" calf just isn't going to happen. Ordering "semi-custom" and hoping for fast shipping or lucking out on ebay are the only real options short of waiting out the custom route.

Oh, and, you might want to try looking at men's boots. Men generally have thinner legs, for foot size, than women. The biggest difference is the shape of the calf muscle...men's calf muscles tend to be "higher up" on the leg and more bunched, with less "meat" down near the ankle, which might work for you.

The De Niros fit my scrawny long chicken calves with skinny ankles. I tried on the foot size 39, XXS calf, XX Tall height and they are the only stock boot I've tried that really fits.

The Tredstone Tuscany was too big in the ankle for me, although they probably would do for less money.

I currently wear the Beval Puissance, which really I should have gotten the tall height even though their size chart said I was regular height. I'm *never* regular height in boots. They are fine for what I'm showing though (have shown local/provincial levels in them).
    Last edited by SolarFlare; Mar. 8, 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: TreadSTONE not Tredstep!
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

OP - i will trade calves with you. I would like a slimmer one and you can have my boots!

My daughter had three pairs of Monaco's in the 9 or 9.5 tall slim that fit pretty well - foot a little bigger than she needed, but had to go bigger in food to get extra height. This time she bought the Tredstep DaVinci from Smartpak and the size 40 ExtraSlim Tall ended up being great - 13" calf - http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctClassId=9484 . It's not as luxurious as Monaco, but half the price, broken in easily and has worn much better than the Monaco whose inner calf turned to shreds very quickly.

I second the Tredstep DaVinci or Donatellos! I have a super scrawny calf and only ever wore customs before but I did get a rack pair of the Donatellos in 40 extra slim (it was before they had talls in that model) for $250 and the calf & ankle are perfect. Height dropped to about a 1/2 inch too short for my taste, so the talls would've either been perfect or a touch high. DaVinci is the better quality of the same boot, but both are nice!

I bought the Tredstep Donatellos last fall in 8 slim calf/reg height because the Donatellos had yet to come out in the talls. I tried the DaVinci's but the foot wasn't as good a fit for me. The height just ended up being plain too short. With only about 7 rides on the boots I'm replacing them-their tall height will only be around 19" and I measure 19". I am trying the Middleburgs-their height is 19 1/2" for regular in size 8-I ordered them from Dover and they are in stock. COTH had great review for the quality of this boot. I bet you could rush order a pair from Dover. They have quick shipping options

Again, you can't compare how a boot will fit the OP comparing it to anyone with a shoe size under a 9.5 because the standard calf goes up. There's probably around an inch of a difference in the calf between someone who wears an x-slim tall size 7 and an x-slim tall size 10.
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

Ya that's the really unfortunate part is that the assumption is that if you're tall, you're also bigger around. Same is true for buying pants and shirts etc.

I wish I had the where with all to start a riding clothing line just for tall riders. I'd call it "CUSTOM NO MORE" ;P

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Ya that's the really unfortunate part is that the assumption is that if you're tall, you're also bigger around. Same is true for buying pants and shirts etc.

I wish I had the where with all to start a riding clothing line just for tall riders. I'd call it "CUSTOM NO MORE" ;P
    I will be your biggest customer!! Well, not size wise as I'm "only" 6'

1 members found this post helpful.

These are the the boots I would recommend (and own) and they worked very well:

Treadstep Donatello (not DaVinci) http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredst...x?cm_vc=Search
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I'm with you. I have a 13.25 inch calf. Which is a slim in an 8.5 boot but I wear a 9.5/10 which means most of the slims are still to big. . . Then I need at least a 19.5' height as well. I'm not even tall, I'm only 5'5" but ALL my height is in my legs, I need an extra long saddle flap and tall boots, but then I have a freakishly short torso.

I have no help, my I feel your pain.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hrford View Post
    I'm with you. I have a 13.25 inch calf. Which is a slim in an 8.5 boot but I wear a 9.5/10 which means most of the slims are still to big. . . Then I need at least a 19.5' height as well. I'm not even tall, I'm only 5'5" but ALL my height is in my legs, I need an extra long saddle flap and tall boots, but then I have a freakishly short torso.

I have no help, my I feel your pain.
    I'm right there with you. 5'6", 120, all my height in my legs (ridiculously long arms, too), size 7.5-8.5 stupidly narrow foot (depending on brand).... And I have a heckuva time finding tall boots. And pants! And shirts! Not just for riding, either.

I'm also a runner. At least that market has figured out people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Those are the ONLY clothes I have no problem finding that fit properly...
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Look at these...I'm always haunting eBay for other peoples' custom boots that might fit me. The foot on these would be too big for me, or I'd grab them...9.5-10, 20.5" height, 13" calf.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Der-Dau-Fiel...item4ac23b478e

Foot might be small for you, but you can usually safely stretch the foot 1/2 size.

How can the Donatello's possibly be tall enough for a tall person? The size chart lists the height as 18.5, that's not tall at all! Am I missing something?

tucci. under 1k and im as tall 5'6" 95-100 and as skinny as they get. I love mine they fit sooo much better then the sergios i tried.

Default take a drive to Columbus

no brands to recommend, but
    Equus Now is having a huge sale this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    How can the Donatello's possibly be tall enough for a tall person? The size chart lists the height as 18.5, that's not tall at all! Am I missing something?
    They make a Tall version of these now:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/Tredste...63390X1-380209

Aha! Thank you.

So with some help from a friend at Equus Now! in Columbus Ohio... Today I received a pair of Ovation Flex Field Boots. Size 10, slim tall.

They are Okay. They are tall enough and fit fine around my calf that measures 13 1/2" at the biggest part. The ankle and lower calf are not as contoured as I would like but they will do. They are 21 1/2" tall and the calf says 14 1/2 on the chart but that must be the max of what they stretch out to.

They are not the best quality boot I've ever laid my eyes on, but they fit, the 10 foot feels more like a 10 1/2 and is plenty roomy. In fact I think I need a thicker sock.

I haven't rode in them yet, but they seem like they will be fine until I can get a new pair of custom boots made.

Here are a few photos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=300d89a220

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=4b7cc1376c

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=2fb6347424