The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update with pictures... The boot dilema! Help for the tall and skinny,

Help! I can't wait for 8 to 10 weeks for a new pair of boots, and with the risk of the first pass not being right, I could go all summer without a decent pair of tall boots.

Any suggestions for the tall and thin legged? Would it be possible to get a pair of say, Sergio Grassos that are tish too big in the ankle/lower leg and have them cut down? Seems risky though for $1K pair of boots.
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; Mar. 14, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

The Ariat Monaco's were the only things tall and skinny enough for my calfs. They have more of a spanish top then the normal Ariats and are a bit taller, and appearently there slim is a bit slimmer then normal Ariats. I believe there were Sergrio's and Treadsteps at the tack store (I needed new boots ASAP as well, mine broke halfway though a two week show) and although all of them would do, the Ariat Monacos definitely fit the best, pretty much like customs. I think they were a bit thinner in the ankle then the Sergios. That being said I wore through the seam on one of them pretty fast, it just completely unraveled, but I do seam to wear all my boots out in that area.

I've also heard Parlanti does off the rack boots, but have never seen them in person. Maybe they would work as well?

I would definitely suggest De Niro's. I am definitely not tall, but I do have pretty scrawny ankles and mine fit beautifully. There are a few beanpole kids at the barn that have also gotten De Niro's now as those were the only ones that came tall/skinny enough. I got mine from HorseLife in Edmonton, Alberta and they were great to deal with! You could also order them from Brogini.com in the UK which may or may not end up cheaper, and they have many more models than SmartPak.

I also have a pair of Ariat Monaco's that I only wear at shows/clinics (and I do 3-4 shows and 1-2 clinics a YEAR) and I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the quality for the price. They also ended up too short for my liking and the spanish top bit folded and wrinkled funny for some reason. I wear my DeNiros every day and have done so for 2+ years and they are in perfect condition, even though I abuse them a little.

What's your foot size? And calf/height measurement?
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

TR I believe you're taller than me, but what I ended up with is a pair of Ariat Volants for my every-day boot and Ariat Monacos for showing.

My calf is about 12 1/2 and height is about 19 1/2 or 20 for reference.

The Volants are hands down the most comfortable boot I have ever ridden in (I'll forever be in debt to PNWJumper for letting me try hers on). They are hardy but are still soft (I hate stiff leather but I need something that will hold up to lots of riding and teaching) and broke in beautifully. They look fantastic and are super slimming - I'm actually so conservative I thought I'd hate the look but I love them and even school at horse shows in them. I did go down a size to a 7 whereas I wear an 8 in everything else Ariat. Both my friends who went with Volants went down a whole size as well. But I looooovvve them. I've had them for a year (now mind you 1/2 of that I was out with an injury) and they're in great shape. I got mine for $400 on ebay - returns allowed.

I love the Monacos too, although I wish I had gone down to a 7 1/2. They are just a touch big in the ankle and the foot. Gorgeous and comfortable. But I only ride in them at shows and big clinics. Got mine online for $850 or so.

I also have the Treadstep Da Vincis and really can't stand them. The leather never broke in, despite conditioning with Vogels and doing the bathtub method and they aren't slim or tall enough for me. I'm going to list them on ebay eventually, just don't like them.

I wanted the de Niros or Sergio Grassos but wasn't sure they'd be slim enough for me. I tried the Mountain Horse Supremes and they were LOVELY but they were 1 1/2 inches too short right out of the box!

Hope that helps!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

double post!
    Last edited by Mac123; Mar. 7, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

I tried on the sergio's in wellington last month and the top of the calf was fine but the lower part was too big on me. I need to get a 13 inch calf and a 9 inch just above my ankle. Maybe the Ariat Monaco extra slim would work?

Darn it I don't think they have an extra slim in the Monacos. But the size chart I just found makes it sound like the boot might fit me in the tall slim. Anyone have a pair of size 10 or 10 1/2 tall slims that they could measure the ankle on?

I would suggest Tucci. The off the shelf boots come very slim. You can also have a custom pair made for under $1400. I am a boot fitter and sell a ton of them in my shop. Your calf size is very slim but not that uncommon. Just make sure whoever fits you, sizes the boots very snug so they don't gap when they break in and tall enough to accommodate the drop. I would also sit in a saddle after finding a pair to double check the height There are way too many riders out there with boots that are too short. Good luck!

I just ordered a pair of Sergios custom. They were only 1300 and I figured if I was spending 1000 for off the rack, why not go all custom?

I don't care for the square toe on the Monacos (and I don't think the quality of the leather is great for 1000). I don't prefer the Tuccis for the same reason- that square toe just isn't my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post

I don't care for the square toe on the Monacos (and I don't think the quality of the leather is great for 1000). I don't prefer the Tuccis for the same reason- that square toe just isn't my favorite.
    At one time the Monacos also came in a rounded toe. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not, but I debated between the two last year when I got mine.

TR - I ordered my Monacos through Smartpak and their staff has taken measurements for me before. Maybe they can help advise? They also have free return shipping that I've taken advantage of before.

Also, as an aside, I've found the Dover size charts to directly conflict with the manufacturer's size chart on more than one occasion (once the size chart from Dover was different than the tag on the boot I ordered from them!) Just in case you were referencing their charts, be careful!

Default tall boots

My daughter is the same. She's about a 9 1/2-10 foot with a very looong lower leg. The only off the rack boots that have fit her are the Monacos. I am not thrilled with the quality of the leather.

They were slim enough and were tall enough with the high spanish sides.

We ended up doing the Wilson & Davidson for about the same price rushed. They were about $1000 and you can get them in 4 weeks, full custom.

They have worn really well. She doesn't ride in them a ton at home, mostly for shows but they look great after two years plus and they broke in fairly easily.

If you want a boot which will last for the same price as the Monacos, I would recommend them.

They are great boots like Vogels etc but not the glove leather like the Parlanti's and Tucci's if you understand what I mean.

The leather is thicker around the ankles so it doesn't look painted on like the Parlanti's do. I have seen some of their off the rack boots and love them! I don't know if you could find a place that carries them who would measure the boots and then send you them out. That might be a good way to do it if you are pressed for time.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Darn it I don't think they have an extra slim in the Monacos. But the size chart I just found makes it sound like the boot might fit me in the tall slim. Anyone have a pair of size 10 or 10 1/2 tall slims that they could measure the ankle on?
    Also consider the Tucci Time Galileo & Tredstep Davinci (not as nice as the Tucci leather but you could pick these up while deciding on customs )
    I recently looked at a pair of brand new Monacos that were far from impressive re leather & construction quality

I'm really surprised to hear these comments about the Tredsteps. As a self-professed "boot snob," (I have only worn customs before) I tried the Tredstep Raphael, which is the dress boot model, and was shocked to find that they were tall enough, slim enough, and refined enough that I would even consider wearing them at an AA show. I have such a long and skinny calf that the lady at Beval took a picture of it once, if that tells you anything. The xx slim, xxtall model fit me perfectly. Please give them a look if you haven't already. I agree they were tough to break in, but for the price they have been a great boot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ever tried on a pair of Parlanti's? I have needed custom tall boots my whole life due to my super skinny calf and long legs. Went to a rep in VT to order a custom pair and ended up fitting into one of their standard models!
    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

Quote Originally Posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
    I'm really surprised to hear these comments about the Tredsteps.
    For the price point, the Da Vinci is gorgeous (& the stitching & finish, well done) - I was very disappointed when the local tack shop dropped the line ... now everyone is an "exclusive" dealer for De Niro

I'm a size 7.5, with a 12.5 calf and 21.5 height and can never find anything off the rack. Parlanti and tucci are too short. I have tucci Half chaps that fit perfectly though! I did meet a very tall/skinny girl who had tredsteps and they looked great.

Do you speak or write French? I've been looking for off the rack boots...big foot, scrawny calves, long legs. My foot is size 9-9.5, but my calves are just under 13", need 19.5" to 20" up the back height. The only off the rack boots that have been slim enough were the Beval Puissance boots, which are discontinued. Mine are pretty worn and need to be replaced soon. They were made by Soubirac, which now has no US retailers.

I'm betting that the S3 width/height would fit you (33cm/51cm). The height measurement is up the back and the Spanish top on the outside is very tall. I've been meaning to find someone who can write/speak French better than I can to contact Soubirac and find out how long it would take to ship boots to the US and how customs would work. The price is right...those prices on the web site include 19.5% VAT, which we do not have to pay if we're not in the EU. My sister in law speaks French, when I have time, I'm going to get her to email Soubirac and get the story.

http://www.soubirac.fr/cata.php?act=fa&v=EFD

The problem with the super tall/skinny boots, even if retailers do claim to carry them here, is that they are never in stock, because there's not much demand for them. Smartpak does not keep those sizes of DeNiros in stock, they are special order. Same with the Puissance (Soubirac) boots. When I spoke with Beval about them several years ago, they did not have any S3s in stock, they had to be ordered from France. The good news is that, while Beval told me it would take 4-6 weeks, they actually arrived at my house in about 20 days...that gives me hope that ordering direct from Soubirac might not take weeks and weeks, if I can figure out how to do it .

You may run into a problem due to your foot size. Someone with a seven foot who is tall/slim is easier to fit than someone with a size ten, since the calf size goes up with the shoe size (with off the shelf books that is). I'd go with custom or semi-custom boots...no reason to spend all of that money on something less than perfect.
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

2 members found this post helpful.

I always buy the Ariat Challenge boot. They retail around $400 and fit me like customs! I have tall, skinny calves with a narrow foot and they fit like a glove and break in in about 2 weeks. I would go to a tack shop and try on the different Ariats to see what works for you. But the fact they come in slim calf size and their boot size is usually on the narrower side, means close to custom feel for a fraction of the cost but still quality boot!