The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Immune System Help??

I know that in humans we can take certain vitamins/herbs to improve our immune systems. Has anyone out there put their horse on any (competition approved) immune system supplements? If so, what have you used and did it show any improvement? I'm not a supplement freak, but hey if something works it works. If I can give her a supplement that will prevent another $2k vet bill I'm all for it.

My horse has a melanoma in his eye. Some melanomas respond to immune system stimulants, and his, fortunately, is one. He gets cimetidine 3x a day and a Zylexis injection once a week. Both of these require a script from a vet, who I would talk to re: whatever immune system problem you are having anyway. Good luck!

I use APF for a horse with allergies and it's the only thing that works, but I also am giving it to a pony with an "aggressive" primitive sarcoma. He was supposed to be gone several years ago and he's still with us. It's hard to say if it's the supplement or his pony fortitude...but I won't take him off of it, just in case.

The mare with allergies is grey, about 13 yo, and also has melanomas, but none have grown.

If you have allergies, you need to SURPRESS the (over active) immune system, not stimulate it.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

As n immune stimulant, I have used Vitamin C and Levamasole.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Some Natural Remedies would include (not sure what is competition approved and what is not):
    Vit. C
    Rose Hip
    Probiotics for horses (http://www.pshorse.com/crs.shtml)
    This one looks good too (http://www.nativeremedies.com/petali...upplement.html)

That's just my two cents.
    www.findmyhorsejob.com Horse Jobs for Teenagers and Young Adults

http://www.Tealhorsedesign.com Web Design and Social Media Management

I have been trying out Super Immune Booster by herbs4horses on my boy who just recovered frkm pneumonia and went through epm treatment. I am super impressed so far. Like another poster mentioned - depends on what you need, immune stimulation or suppression. What was the vet bill for?