Bleach. Cheap, entirely safe, and kills everything. Everything. And it evaporates into molecules which already exist in the environment. Best, cheapest, safest, most effective choice.
Originally Posted by JB
Bleach is inactivated by organic material, ie wood stall walls.
And it can cause serious burns if contacting your skin and can cause blindness if aerosolized and/or splashes and thus contacts your eyes. However, that being said, if the stalls are not wood-based (i.e. puck board or similar), and you are in need of a quick to find cleanser, this is a good one to use as it will destroy ALL viruses and all bacteria. The hypochlorite in bleach causes proteins to lose their structure and form large aggregates, causing the virus and/or bacteria to die. All viruses and bacteria are built on protein. Just keep in mind, so are you! So you have to be prepared with proper clothing, rubber gloves, and eye protection.
The other thing you have to be VERY aware of is chlorine bleach mixing with ammonia in urine releases CHLORINE GAS which is deadly. Use only in an extremely well ventilated area. Well, I should clarify, there are several forms of reactions between chlorine bleach and ammonia depending on the concentrations of mixtures. All of the results produce deadly and burning gas. Not pleasant. Long and short, just be really careful. My husband found this out the hard way when he tried to use bleach on the cats' litter box. He was very quickly and nearly overcome. Got him out of the bathroom and turned on the vent fan, but he didn't feel right for a good 30 minutes. I was just about to take him to the hospital when he started to recover. Later on we had to discuss just why he was cleaning the litter box in the tub? Ewww.
I second (or third?) the chlorhexidine as a more safe alternative.
"Phenolic disinfectants can be recognized by the term 'phenol' or 'phenate' at the end of the chemical name. These compounds will kill rotavirus and are effective in the presence of organic matter.
Disinfectants containing o-phenylphenol, o-benzyl-pchlorophenol, p-tertiary amylphenol or sodium o-phenylphenate are especially germicidal. These are the disinfectants of choice for use in horse facilities."
also what is rec'd by extension. With any disinfectant, be careful. Phenols can kill kitties (as can a lot of fly sprays, FYI)