The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Weight gain for IR horse, on a budget?

For the first time in a long time, my mare is actually a little on the thin side.

I'm wanting to put on just a small amount of weight; maybe 50 lbs. Right now you can see ribs easily from a few yards away, and I'd rather only see just a hint of them or not at all, but easily felt.

She is a picture of health otherwise, bright eyed and sassy as ever.

Right now her diet consists of:

- Approx 20lbs of grass hay per day
    - 2 lbs of Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care per day
    - 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets per day
    - 1/2 cup vegetable oil per day
    - 1/4 cup Stockade Horse Mineral (also includes vitamins)

I think the most obvious thing would be to up the Safe Choice, but I'm also looking for the most cost effective way for weight gain as well. So any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Oh, and FWIW, she is a 15 y/o breeding stock paint mare. This also is the same diet for an 18 y/o Arabian gelding (mom's horse).
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Oh, I forgot to mention... I have access to Purina and Nutrena only, unfortunately. As well as Standlee brand hay products.

I always have the opposite problem with my IR/EMS guy...trying to get or keep weight off! But I'm thinking maybe adding beet pulp would be a good way to add weight. Assuming you can get it (here, Nutrena and Standlee both offer beet pulp pellets). Use the no molasses version, then rinse the soaked beet pulp to remove any sugars (even no-molasses-added pellets have some molasses added as part of the process of making the pulp pellets). Or if the alfalfa pellets are low NSC, you could do more of those, maybe in an additional meal? Man, I'd be thrilled to have to add weight to my guy...he thinks he's starving, always!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I always have the opposite problem with my IR/EMS guy...trying to get or keep weight off! But I'm thinking maybe adding beet pulp would be a good way to add weight. Assuming you can get it (here, Nutrena and Standlee both offer beet pulp pellets). Use the no molasses version, then rinse the soaked beet pulp to remove any sugars (even no-molasses-added pellets have some molasses added as part of the process of making the pulp pellets). Or if the alfalfa pellets are low NSC, you could do more of those, maybe in an additional meal? Man, I'd be thrilled to have to add weight to my guy...he thinks he's starving, always!
    Thanks for the input! I can certainly up the alfalfa pellets. I have used beet pulp in the past but switched to the alfalfa pellets because of the higher protein content. My mare's and my mom's gelding's toplines were not looking quite as nice on the beet pulp.

I personally wouldn't feed beet pulp to an IR horse (I have one myself).
    My vet recommended Purina's Amplify supplement to add some weight for my IR horse. It works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    I personally wouldn't feed beet pulp to an IR horse (I have one myself).
    Why? The no molasses version, rinsed after soaking, is low NSC. I'm not using it now, as I find the low NSC hay pellets I have to be easier to use, but I'm curious why you say that.

1 members found this post helpful.

Watch the oil, I have read that IR horses can have sensitivity.
    I use Purina Amplify as well. Pricey but you don't need much.
    Mine was on TC Senior, Amplify, Alfalfa Pellets, and hay, and I was able to get her weight back up, and lower her ACTH as well.

Oil and Alfalfa are usually avoided with IR and/or Cushing horses especially in large quantities. I'd increase your grass hay or add in non-molasses beet pulp.

I prefer to use pelleted rice bran for my EMS horse that went from an air fern to a hard keeper when the EMS exploded on him in 2007.

40 lbs of Manna Pro's "Max-E-Glo" is $23 at my Tractor Supply.

Valley Vet wants $40+ for a 30 lb container of Amplify that, in true Purina fashion, doesn't list all the ingredients but does say:

Proprietary blend of vegetable oils,
    flax seed and rice bran create an
    optimal fatty acid profile
    ���� No trans-fats
    I can't see paying almost double the money for ten pounds less of something that has flax seed and rice bran, when I can feed Max-E-Glo and half cup daily of Omega-3 Horseshine much cheaper, with excellent results.

JMO

Why avoid oil or alfalfa? Oil has no NSCs, and the alfalfa pellets I'm feeding are only 8% NSC.

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
    I prefer to use pelleted rice bran for my EMS horse that went from an air fern to a hard keeper when the EMS exploded on him in 2007.

40 lbs of Manna Pro's "Max-E-Glo" is $23 at my Tractor Supply.

Valley Vet wants $40+ for a 30 lb container of Amplify that, in true Purina fashion, doesn't list all the ingredients but does say:

I can't see paying almost double the money for ten pounds less of something that has flax seed and rice bran, when I can feed Max-E-Glo and half cup daily of Omega-3 Horseshine much cheaper, with excellent results.

JMO
    Is the Max-E-Glo rice bran? How long does the 40lb bag last you?

I'd wait until warmer weather gets here, and see if, with fewer calories being used to stay warm, you get a weight gain on the present diet.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Is the Max-E-Glo rice bran? How long does the 40lb bag last you?
    Yes, it is equine, stabilized, calcium fortified rice bran to keep the calcium/phospherous ratio balanced.

It comes in meal form or pellets. I prefer the pellets.

I amount of rice bran I feed my EMS horse goes up and down. It provides horses with a cool energy (doesn't amp them up). I give him more in the winter.

Right now he is eating 20 measured ounces (I use house hold measuring cups) daily. He also gets fed three times a day as he has hind gut ulcers and colic issues. The more little feedings he gets, the longer between colics. This time he lasted from last October 3rd to March 2nd.

20 ounces daily = 37.5 lbs per month.

What I commented on at $40+ dollars from Valley Vet comes in a tub.

I just went back and looked at the bagged Amplify (Nature's Essentials), it is showing $59.99 per 50 lb bag.

If seems to provide all the needed vitamins & minerals, and also claims to use rice bran.

http://www.horse.purinamills.com/pro...2-0032705.aspx

Tractor Supply carries Purina products.

You're going to have to crunch the numbers and see what works best for your wallet.

For my part 20 ounces of rice bran works well to keep my EMS horse at a good weight in the winter. I will cut that back when summer gets here.

He is one of the rare metabolic horses that, to-date, has never even had a mild laminitis attack and only needs a grazing muzzle in early Spring.

My truly IR horse however, will founder at the mere mention of it and will be going out in a grazing muzzle today

Anyone know if BOSS is good for weight gain? Farm and Fleet has a sale on it; $19.99 for a 50 lb bag, and it's 40% fat. NSC is only like 5%. I'm not sure how much I'd need to feed though.

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
    Yes, it is equine, stabilized, calcium fortified rice bran to keep the calcium/phospherous ratio balanced.

It comes in meal form or pellets. I prefer the pellets.

I amount of rice bran I feed my EMS horse goes up and down. It provides horses with a cool energy (doesn't amp them up). I give him more in the winter.

Right now he is eating 20 measured ounces (I use house hold measuring cups) daily. He also gets fed three times a day as he has hind gut ulcers and colic issues. The more little feedings he gets, the longer between colics. This time he lasted from last October 3rd to March 2nd.

20 ounces daily = 37.5 lbs per month.

What I commented on at $40+ dollars from Valley Vet comes in a tub.

I just went back and looked at the bagged Amplify (Nature's Essentials), it is showing $59.99 per 50 lb bag.

If seems to provide all the needed vitamins & minerals, and also claims to use rice bran.

http://www.horse.purinamills.com/pro...2-0032705.aspx

Tractor Supply carries Purina products.

You're going to have to crunch the numbers and see what works best for your wallet.

For my part 20 ounces of rice bran works well to keep my EMS horse at a good weight in the winter. I will cut that back when summer gets here.

He is one of the rare metabolic horses that, to-date, has never even had a mild laminitis attack and only needs a grazing muzzle in early Spring.

My truly IR horse however, will founder at the mere mention of it and will be going out in a grazing muzzle today
    Yeah it's hard walking that tightrope with IR horses... trying to put some weight on right now, but there will be no lush pasture turnout come Spring, my mare turns into a blubbery walrus.

I'd go with the Purina Amplify over the Max-E-Glo. The Max has 18% fat; the Amplify has 30% fat. If your goal is to add weight, you would have to feed less of the Amplify than the Max to deliver the same fat content. I pay $43 for 50lbs of Amplify at my local feed store.

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    I'd go with the Purina Amplify over the Max-E-Glo. The Max has 18% fat; the Amplify has 30% fat. If your goal is to add weight, you would have to feed less of the Amplify than the Max to deliver the same fat content. I pay $43 for 50lbs of Amplify at my local feed store.
    If you go the Amplify route, be sure you're not going to double up on vitamins/minerals as that could be detrimental to a metabolic horse where some minerals are concerned.

If you're feeding something else to get the vit/mins in your horse, you most likely won't need it, if you change to the Amplify.

I feed the rice bran also because I feed my EMS horse a vitamin/mineral supplement that only requires one ounce daily. That started after he colicked nine times last year and I noticed he could not could not handle more than 1 - 1/2 pounds of anything in his feed pan at one time.

Thus the high dose vitamin and also having to feed him what he needs, three times daily

There are days these metabolic issues make me regret not drinking anything stronger than apple juice anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    If you go the Amplify route, be sure you're not going to double up on vitamins/minerals as that could be detrimental to a metabolic horse where some minerals are concerned.

If you're feeding something else to get the vit/mins in your horse, you most likely won't need it, if you change to the Amplify.

I feed the rice bran also because I feed my EMS horse a vitamin/mineral supplement that only requires one ounce daily. That started after he colicked nine times last year and I noticed he could not could not handle more than 1 - 1/2 pounds of anything in his feed pan at one time.

Thus the high dose vitamin and also having to feed him what he needs, three times daily

There are days these metabolic issues make me regret not drinking anything stronger than apple juice anymore

Equi Omega by Uckele....it's a powdered form of cocosoya, flax and vegetable oil along with probiotics. I have a hard keeper (not IR) that has bloomed on it....actually maybe a bit too much

http://www.sstack.com/horse-care_sup...omplex-7-5lbs/

Sorry for the double post

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Anyone know if BOSS is good for weight gain? Farm and Fleet has a sale on it; $19.99 for a 50 lb bag, and it's 40% fat. NSC is only like 5%. I'm not sure how much I'd need to feed though.
    No BOSS. BOSS is really high in Omega-6 which is known to aggravate any sort of inflammation.

The EMS exploded my horse's hock/ankle arthritis, there is no way I would feed him BOSS.

Sometimes the more money spent up front on a product, the less one needs. That equals savings over the long term plus a healthier horse

I know a bag of Omega-3 Horseshine is expensive but, I feed it, daily, to three of my horses and a bag last five weeks.

My EMS horse gets 1/2 cup daily. I had called the company a year ago, and they said I could feed up to one measuring cup daily if I wanted to but, he's doing great on 1/2 cup.