The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Photos of old hunters: Art Project Help

Hello!

I am a senior in high school and where most seniors taking AP art classes are finishing up their college portfolio, I never even chose my concentration because I opted not to take art freshman year. However, I am in the honors class that is generally for juniors, and they are choosing their concentrations for their portfolio's next year.

Listening to their brainstorming made me want to make a small portfolio of my own, simply to have projects to due in my spare time, so I jotted down some ideas and came up with one I really liked: Hunters Through the Decades.

Here's where I am hoping some of you could help me: I am looking for photos of top hunters through the decades. I wasn't sure where to start, I was thinking 60's or 70's, and I'm not sure how many I will do per decade, that would depend on how many I can find for each, since I'd like them to be equal. I'd like to do at least two per decade, up through present day, so 2011-2013 would be the last bracket I do.

If any of you have photos that you might be able to send to me (via PM or posting) I'd greatly appreciate it! Also, any suggestions of horses to look up if you think they fit the bill. I know I definitely want to include Rox Dene and Ozcar, but other than that I'll admit I don't know many! Any help is greatly appreiated, and I'll be posting the finished projects as I complete them for sure.

There is a Facebook group called Equestrians From Back In The Day as well as a FB page for the USHJA Wheeler Museum. Both will have plenty of photos for you. Some of my favorites :

-Sign The Card
    -Gozzi
    -Ruxton
    -Touch The Sun
    -Henry The Hawk
    -Murmansk
    -Stocking Stuffer
    -Early Light
    -Dillon
    -Riot Free
    -Market Street
    -Market Rise
    -Automation
    -Rain Forest

I could go on, and on.....
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool idea. I hope you'll share your progress.

You might go even further back (50s/60s) and show the change in style, type of horse, dress, tack....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    You might go even further back (50s/60s) and show the change in style, type of horse, dress, tack....
    Yes, when I originally came up with the idea I planned on starting with the 50's to show just that! It all depends on how many pictures I can dig up, but I'd love to start with the 50's.

Also thank you, oldgreymare, for your recommendations! I'll check out those FB pages when I get home later today.

There's a beautiful photo of the conformation hunter Cap and Gown (jumping) in William Steinkraus' Riding and Jumping. There are plenty of copies floating around.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

COTH did a photo gallery of the "Chronicle through the Ages" or something like that, I think it had a few hunter pictures from different ages scattered through it (if I remember correctly.)

Rox Dene from the 90's...such a classic, elegant hunter.

**Oops! That'll teach me to post before reading the full OP! You already mention her

Found it! It starts in the 1930s and 1940s and there are certainly hunter pictures: http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_v...e=21&nid=34984

1950s doesn't have hunter pictures, but 1960s has quite a few: http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_v...e=19&nid=35479

1970s doesn't have hunters either but here is 1980s: http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_v...e=17&nid=36015

1990s have a picture of Rox Dene: http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_v...e=17&nid=36050

And 2000s have Rumba: http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_v...e=17&nid=36129

Those pictures are fabulous! I am pleased that Cap and Gown, whom I mentioned earlier, is pictured. (I also noticed an error: the caption under the picture of Greg Best and Gem Twist states that they won team and individual gold at the 1988 Olympics. I believe those medals were silver.) The picture of Bill Steinkraus is gorgeous.

Anyone notice the ditch in the 1950s collection?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Strapless is also a good one, can't quite remember her era...late 90s, early 2000s?

Thanks for those links, Rel6. I knew the Chronicle put those pictures up but I was having trouble finding them. Bookmarked it!

Dewey, I have that book. I'll take a look through it later, I completely forgot about it, it has some gorgeous pictures in there.

Took a look at the "Equestrians from Back in the Day" FB and found some great pictures to use! Starting to get a collection going for each decade. Feel free to keep the name suggestions coming through, if you have a favorite horse you feel should be included. Really excited to start this project.