The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for stallion suggestions for Ruffian mare

I have a maiden mare that I would like to breed for a dressage prospect. She has an excellent performance record in both eventing and hunter/jumper, but I am specifically interested in stallions known to improve dressage type and movement. She is a smaller mare, just 15.3, so I would like to find a stallion under 17h. She is registered GOV, but I think she could easily be appoved with another registry if necessary. I have a short list already, and have talked with a few stallion owners, but would like to see what others suggest.

Pedigree here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/really+rosie3

Hope someone sees this and can help you soon, since I'm interested to hear the answer. One of my favorite jumper mares was a Rubinstein-Werther-Dagobert, and I believe the stallion Regazzoni is bred very similarly.

I would certainly take a hard look at Sir Gregory at Dreamscape Farms. I have heard some very experienced and knowledgeable people describe him as "very likely the best dressage stallion in North America".

Nutmeg - we have a gelding by Regazzoni, which is why we are breeding this mare. He is the chestnut on my facebook page. I haven't had a chance to add him to the website yet.

Sir Gregory is on the short list , along with Diamond Stud, Don Principe, and a few others. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone use Ampere on an R line mare?

I would take Freestyle over Sir Gregory at Dreamscape. I have two by Freestyle that are FABULOUS. Put size, steadiness, super movement, and an amazing mond on them. I'm not saying Gregory is bad, but I like something with a proven record, not the latest big movement. (Mom is 15.3 and babies should be 16.2/16.3)

I also agree with Don Principe. He is on my short list of what I like in a stallion. He has a good, proven pedigree, proven performance and soundness, and proven babies.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you have a picture or some more specific things you want to improve.
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I also agree with Don Principe. He is on my short list of what I like in a stallion. He has a good, proven pedigree, proven performance and soundness, and proven babies.
    We decided to go with Don Principe for all of the reasons above. Hilltop farm was very helpful answering all of my questions. They spent a whole afternoon giving us a tour, showing us stallions, and we got to see Micheal Bragdell ride Don Principe. I can't wait for the foal next spring.

Here are some pics of our mare Rosie : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holla...7426928&type=1
    and video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evpSt...eature=related