The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Electronic sound devices for extinguishing dog whining?

My housemate has a year-old German Shepherd who has a number of boredom and anxiety-related behaviors which are improving the more I kick my housemate's butt about proper exercise for the dog. However, whenever he leaves the house, she paces and whines for at least half an hour, usually more, ignoring all toys, kongs, rawhides, and in fact any other stimuli presented or provided. This wakes me up if I'm asleep, does not stop if she is crated, distracts me from my work (I work from home often,) and thus far has foiled my attempts to train a "quiet" command.

I am not this dog's owner. I do not have time to train a dog. If I had time for a house pet I'd have one of my own. I cannot do any more than I am doing about training her. That would be a better solution- but this isn't my dog. I know this is COTH so I'm going to be hearing about how someone should be training this dog, and I agree that someone should be training the dog, but I'd like to request that we stick to the question here rather than telling me to train the dog.

The bottom line is now that her whining is producing an environment in which I cannot work. I recognize that the circumstances that cause the whining aren't fair to the dog, but not being able to work in my own home is not fair to me. Out of sheer desperation I am looking at the devices that produce an inaudible-to-humans unpleasant sound when they detect dog whining. Do they work, are they harmful to dogs, and does anyone have a particular model to recommend?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Default Easy

Get a new house mate without a pet.

Problem solved. For you anyway, not the dog.

2 members found this post helpful.

Again, I know this is COTH, which through long tradition elevates "offering alternative solutions" to an art form, but I'd appreciate a response to the question asked. If moving were an alternative I'd have moved already.
    - Harry Dresden

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Get a new house mate without a pet.

Problem solved. For you anyway, not the dog.
    This, if pooch's owner won't step up to the plate and help solve the dog's anxiety issues. Have you guys tried a calming collar for the dog? Has the owner talked to the vet about medications?

I'd think if the dog is having horrible separation issues, adding an unpleasant stimulus to the equation when she's already a mess is just going to result in other bad behavior.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you guys tried a calming collar for the dog? Has the owner talked to the vet about medications?
    No- are those effective in your experience? I had heard very mixed reviews. The owner has not talked to the vet about medications. I doubt he would consider that. He isn't convinced there's an actual problem.

There's a lot of housemate having his head up his behind about the dog involved in all of this. Bottom line is he shouldn't have a dog at this point in his life, much less a high drive and very active (and very smart) dog. I'm trying to be the mediator and the advocate for the dog because I like her and feel bad for her as a busy animal trying to adapt to a situation that isn't her fault.
    - Harry Dresden

A friend of mine has one of those devices for her Aussie who is an obnoxious barker.

(and yes, she has worked with multiple trainers, the dog spends hours outside running around every day, and he is otherwise well behaved - he just likes to "talk" a lot and about everything )

It only took a few times of actually using the device - now all she has to do is pick up the box and he settles down. I'll have to ask her what brand it is. She's been very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    He isn't convinced there's an actual problem.
    Do you have the means to take a video of the dog while she's going through this? Since he's not around for her fits, he probably doesn't believe you that they're that bad and disruptive. I don't mean a minute-long video either; I mean tape the whole thing until she finally gives it up. If he has any empathy for the dog, watching her whimper, pace, and generally wring her hands (wring her paws?), might be enough of a push to get vet/trainer help.

I can only speak about calming stuff for cats (I've had success with Feliway) so I can't tell you whether or not something similar would work for a dog.

Agree with Vaquero -- dog is already stressed, and exhibiting signs of stress. Adding an aversive (e-collar) is only going to make dog *more* stressed.

If I were the owner, I'd be a) looking at training to give dog "mental" exercise (when home) and b) talking to a vet behaviorist about adding meds.

Have the dog come sleep with you -it might help.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I feel for ya. It's bad enough when it's my own dog; if it was being inflicted on me from someone else's dog I'd be miserable. I just recently started feeding my whiney dog a breakfast when I feed the kids before school; before the dogs got fed after the kids left. So for the last two days my whiney dang dog has woken us all up at 3 am b/c she wants us to get up and feed her breakfast. She whines and screams the last 15 minutes before we take the kids to school-imagine the noise the hounds make just before they're released on a hunt: that. it's horribly disruptive and annoying. I have had a bad morning with mine today so I get where you're coming from.

To be honest, the one time we used the shock collar on ours for the obnoxious whining and shrieking she did shut up and go lie down on her bed. She will also shut up and go lie down if we spray her with the water gun (I seem to be advocating that a lot lately!). I felt guilty for the shock collar treatment so I haven't done it again though my finger was itching this morning.

I have tried and tried to "train" mine; we can't get her to be quiet; it seems compulsive until we finally whacked her with the shock collar and then she quit. She just whines about everything she anticipates, good or bad. She doesn't want to sleep in the bed, she paces the house and whines and howls, can't put her out b/c she just gets louder out there. We have put her in a vehicle before just to get away from her noise. It drives you nuts after a while.

My parents had one of the anti-bark boxes for their little dogs and it worked "ok", not every time.

do the automatic no-bark collars even detect whining? I'm pretty sure mine does not- it only goes off if the dog actually barks audibly.

At one point in my life I tried to get the neighbor's yappy ankle-biter to shut up by using one of those ultrasonic devices, and it did not work. The dog shut up the first time, apparently quite startled, and then started barking even louder. Future attempts were equally ineffective.

Can you put the poor dog in a crate with a stuffed kong right before the owner leaves? that might distract the dog enough to stop the whining.

I suspect any kind of you-delivered punishment, like a squirt bottle, won't help this particular situation and might make it worse by making the dog more anxious.

Stuffed kongs. I'd forgotten about that. Get some deeeelicious stuff -strong smelling delicious stuff, stuff the kong, freeze the kong. Give the frozen kong when the owner leaves. Just be careful that you account for this in food otherwise you will end up with a fat dog.

Paula

she said in the OP that the dog ignores the kongs/toys/chew toys.

The first question I would ask is this dog the only pet in the house.
    If there are any other pets, obviously they will hear the electronic thing too, which would be completely unfair.

I don't really understand why moving is not an option?
    How can you be forced to live someplace?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Well, there is a difference between a chew toy and a chew toy laced with tasty noms....

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    That's why you have to stuff the kong with something extraordinarily smelly and good so you increase it's value. This isn't the time for health or wisdom -heck if you could stuff a kong with week-old squirrel that would be the way to go.

Paula

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I don't really understand why moving is not an option?
    How can you be forced to live someplace?
    Moving is not a financial option.

Jo's This Is The Best Thing In The World treat is a Kong laced with peanut butter and stuffed with Pupperoni. She will ignore that in favor of anxiety behaviors. She ignores everything in favor of anxiety behaviors. I have tried staying on the floor with her and petting her when he leaves, I've tried acupressure (having had great success with a particular point on horses,) I've tried to train a "be quiet on your bed" command (obviously when he is around- if I started when she's mid-anxiety attack we'd get nowhere.) I have not been able to break through the anxiety wall. She whines and paces until she is exhausted. I don't disagree that something like a canine Feliway collar- if they work- or puppy Prozac would be a better option here. I'm trying to come up with a couple of options to present to housemate, because something's gotta give, for everyone's sanity.
    - Harry Dresden

A boarder at my barn got a shock collar for her barker. As an added bonus, it stopped (most) of the whining while the owner was riding. She still whines a little bit, but very quietly. Not something you'd hear through a closed door. I don't know the brand, but I think a collar might work for this dog.

Whining drives me crazy in my my own dog, can't imagine living with an excessive whiner that wasn't even mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

You already know the answer. Using any kind of shock/electric stim or other remote aversive may work, but guess what you are doing when you use it?

training the dog.

I don't know if this would be an option for you, however, when I had neighbors with barking dogs, a CD with rain and mild thunderstorm noise really helped to block the dog sound and allowed for sleep. The "white noise" really helped.