The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Succeed vs whole oats and alfalfa

Does succeed work better than whole oats and alfalfa? I looked at Succeed's ingredients and have to wonder what the hype is all about.

This is not a hypothetical question, however. My horse definitely exhibits the signs of hind gut ulcers (OTTB). He was treated with a full course of omeprazole on veterinarian recommendation. Later, I put him on ranitidine as a follow up/preventative. I have since taken him off ranitidine. I saw a big improvement after the omeprazole, but symptoms never completely resolved even with appropriate dosing. So I am considering the snake oil (succeed).

His diet currently includes free choice hay, alfalfa pellets, whole oats, and vit/min with probiotics. So I am wondering how the Succeed will help him.

Any experience with this product will be greatly appreciated.

PKN

Try Equisure - it's aimed at hindgut ulcers/digestive issues which might be where your horse's problem is.

I just got oat flour, and he's also on Kombat Boots, this winter is the firat time I see no signs of ulcers. Finally!

I actually found this out on Cynthia Collins website (Luna Tunes), she's got incredible information.

Default JB have you used either of these?

Have you used either Succeed or Equisure? I have been looking at both of these products lately, trying to decide whether I really need to treat him or if I am just wasting money?

PKN

I have not, but I know quite a few folks now who have used Equisure with really, really good results.

Hi, I avoided succeed for years as I could not see anything in the ingredients list that made much sense to me. After struggling with a horse with abdominal discomfort and diarrhea for years (nothing of note when scoped) I caved and tried the succeed. Amazingly, it worked. With a bit of web searching you can find that it appears (based on research study abstracts) that l-glutamine has a positive effect on some colon issues in humans. So...glutamine might be the magic ingredient. Good luck.

I actually really like Succeed. I am a super non-snake oil believer, but my horse, who ate oats and alfalfa as his diet b/c of ulcers and allergies, began to show hind gut symptoms after being on a vet recommended three month round of omeprazole. I put him on Succeed, 2 scoops a day for 2 weeks, then 1 scoop per day, and I saw dramatic improvement with in one week, and no return to symptoms while on Succeed.

My trainer is a believer, and I was always like "ya ya succeed whatever" LOL, untill I used it.

thank you Judysmom. I know it's anecdotal, but this is hte kind of info I was seeking. My horse has been on both omeprazole and ranitidine and i am not seeing end of symptoms. I think I will try it for a month.

I have a TB who periodically has had episodes of colic like symptoms....excessive stretching, lieing down and groaning....looking grumpy....and initially I always called the vet , thinking he was colicing. They never pronounced him as colicing, but one finally suggested I try Succeed. I did, syptoms were gone. He is not on Succeed when he is turned out for a few months, but once he is back in work and begins shipping to school at other farms and eventually show, I just automatically put him on Succeed and he continues to be healthy.
    I had a crabby WB that I tried it with also. His stomach dropped down a good four inches in a month...which told me his internal stress was what had caused him to have a too fit look to his belly. He became a much happier horse on Succeed.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

I was supposed to order Succeed a month ago for my horse's hind gut ulcers but had some unexpected expenses pop up so I was unable to get it. She did well after a panacur powerpack but I've been dragging my feet regarding the Succeed because I've read conflicting results. My main hesitation is, says she does well on it - long term Succeed cost would be horrendously expensive and not something I could afford.

TBredhead - how much does Kombat Boots cost you per horse per month? I tried it once when my farrier gave me a bag she got for free but it was very pricey and I couldn't keep it up.

I was supposed to order Succeed a month ago for my horse's hind gut ulcers but had some unexpected expenses pop up so I was unable to get it. She did well after a panacur powerpack but I've been dragging my feet regarding the Succeed because I've read conflicting results. My main hesitation is, says she does well on it - long term Succeed cost would be horrendously expensive and not something I could afford.

TBredhead - how much does Kombat Boots cost you per horse per month? I tried it once when my farrier gave me a bag she got for free but it was very pricey and I couldn't keep it up.

Expensive Last year in middle show season, I was giving him 2x the recommended dosage (after conversing with Rob!) Its not that my horse doesn't enjoy his life and job, he wouldn't be doing it, but he internalized everything and if I stress out over shows and classes, he stresses out because he tries even harder to be perfect. Gotta love thoroughbreds. I'm trying a new regimen this year, but KB was the only thing that truly helped us so IF the new regime. (including anti-anxiety meds for momma) don't work, I don't mind paying out the butt for the KB.

Whole oats are NOT equal to oat flour and oat oil. While "oats" in different forms are the main ingredient in Succeed, their "success" in the product comes from how they are processed.

Whole oats are very high in starch, much of which passes undigested into the hindgut. This actually decreases the pH of the hindgut (aka hindgut acidosis) and leads to an environment prone to ulceration. Medications like ranitidine and omeprazole have little to no effect in the hindgut.

Hindgut ulcers are treated by a) restoring proper pH to the hindgut, and b) protecting the lining of the hindgut from irritation while the ulcers are healing.

Oat flour is extremely high in soluble fiber-- think about that gummy residue that cooked oatmeal leaves behind. Oat flour is mostly that soluble fiber, which protects the lining of the hindgut while retaining water and helping keep things flowing along the GI tract.

Succeed WILL work: The oat flour and oil protect the hindgut, the yeast helps support healthy bacterial growth (thus restoring healthy pH), and the amino acids supposedly are supportive of healing ulcers. BUT, you can get all of those MUCH more cheaply than the marketed product! The price they charge for these ingredients is insane.

Equishure works a little differently-- it is a protected buffer. It will help restore healthy pH, but in an artificial way, so to speak. Theoretically, if nothing changes in a horses' lifestyle, he/she would need to stay on Equishure forever to keep the hindgut acidosis under control. But, when used in conjunction with lifestyle and feed changes, it can be a much more affordable way to treat hindgut ulcers.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

3 members found this post helpful.

Succeed does work! I use it on a few of my horses...another good choice is by the same makers of Equisure -KER's Ritetrac...highly recommend that as well..,if you're horse is a picky eater you might have trouble...that's where Succeed may be a better choice bc of the oral paste syringes

1 members found this post helpful.

Texarkana, I've never heard the science behind it all, thank you!