The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I am in Chilton county in Alabama. I commute into Birmingham. Not a horse mecca but the living is fairly cheap

SNL,yes! I don't remember hearing about majoring in affluent husband finding at my school. Though many girls I know are literally set on going down that route.

9 members found this post helpful.

Here's the thing. I've made owning horses work even when I only made $8 an hour.
    Now I make considerably more, but before I budgeted to buy a house, etc, I took from my budget what I needed to support the horsey lifestyle I wanted. So I live in a much smaller house than those in my same income bracket, BUT I can spring for a clinic, show, mattes pad fun without batting an eyelash at the cost. Budgetarily speaking, my horses came first
    I work in the animal care industry in upper management. I LOVE helping people grow as professionals and as human beings.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

I am a farm wife so my "job" isn't what you are interested in hearing about, but you asked about cheap property taxes earlier. I am about 45 minutes outside Lexington, KY (fabulously horsie) and pay just over 1100 a year in property taxes on my 83 acre farm with 2400 square foot farmhouse. Personally when you are looking at places to live I would keep Kentucky in mind!

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL, I am a vet. I had the choice of being a working student for a well known BNT (with the idea of eventually going pro) or going to vet school.......guess you can figure out which path I followed in order to [continue to] have horses. Now I graduated in a day and time when the average debt load did not exceed "your" starting salary. I would not recommend to anyone to pursue veterinary medicine at this time.

Recently my riding instructor was telling me how much her students had to make on average to afford dressage in these parts. You should have seen the look in her eyes when I informed her that my husband (also a vet) and I combined did not come close to her "minimum". Let's just say we sacrifice for my hobby. It was a bit easier for my husband to swallow after both kids got involved in the horse life full force too.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I came out of school with a Biochemistry degree. Worked in a lab for a while (loved the flexible schedule, less enamored with the salary), then moved into sales. Enjoyed being a sales rep and was able to afford to show my one horse, and by the end of my time as a sales rep I was making good money, had bought a farm with my husband, and had 6 horses. Moved into sales management and was able to afford all of the horse stuff for the first time ever while I was a regional manager for a billion dollar company. But I was traveling non-stop and didn't get to see my kids enough...also not great for the horseshow schedule. Now I'm a VP at a start-up and make next to nothing again. Not so great for the show budget, but fantastic for seeing my kids and getting to ride all of my horses every day (and hopefully the almost non-existent salary is short-term only) Out of everything, though, the part of both research and field sales that I've really loved is that I've always had a flexible schedule that gave me time to ride whenever I wanted on a daily basis (minus the actual days I was traveling as a manager).

But the bottom line is that there are many paths you can take. My advice is to follow what you enjoy and then look around and see who in that path is making money. I loved research, but when I looked around it wasn't the young researchers making money, it was the people on the sales side. And I always knew that I could enjoy whatever job I was doing as long as it allowed me horse time. Probably sounds crazy anywhere except here on COTH!

I work as a correctional officer. Life experience is more important than education, and social skills and setting boundaries are a big deal. It's more about your personality and character than education, though I have several years of university and a 2 year crim diploma (though enough credits to total a degree, just not the right credits!).

I'm currently on-call, but get half time hours usually with full time in the summers. I will max out at around $30/hr. Once I get full time, it's 4 days of work and 5 off, which is lovely for having free time. Being a government job, it's pretty secure and all that jazz. Also, if I choose to leave, I have access to a ton of other government jobs simply because I'm an "in-service" govt employee, and few professions would challenge your ability to handle "difficult clientele" after you've spent some time working with cons

Add in that my spouse is also well employed in law enforcement and makes significantly more than me (gotta love Canadian policing, vs American policing where people put their lives on the line for $30k/yr), and right now I don't mind not working as much. It only takes 7 shifts of a month for me to hit "half-time" hours, since the shifts are long enough to rack hours up fast.

I pay for my horses by riding other people's horses and teaching lessons.

I consider the money I earn from being a lawyer "life money" and try to limit what I spend on the horses (about $1,500 a month) to just what I earn riding, so that the "life money" can be invested and I can retire as quickly as possible. My current goal is to flip my house and buy a duplex mortgage free, at which point the "life money" will really be cooking with gas.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nottopry View Post
    I'm currently agonizing over whether I've just wasted 4 years of school to suddenly decide the B.S (haha) wasn't worth it and whether I want to pursue a biology related career or try and do something else entirely.

So, while I know that you shouldn't go into any career for the money, let's just recognize that it is an important consideration, especially when personal hobbies can be costly.
    Be careful going into a biology career, if you're in the US especially. Funding for biological research is at an all-time alarming low, and many of us doing research are struggling. I would not have chosen this path (researcher/professor at a US university) had I known what the future held for research in this country in terms of funding. But don't we all wish to know the future.

If you want other health-related career options, you can always look into PA (physician's assistant) schools. They're becoming very popular as graduates can make good money. There is also PT and other related fields.

Combined, my SO & I bring in over $125k, with my salary being a major portion of that as the SO is still in school. I fully believe in supporting myself in the event that SO & I don't work out, therefore my salary alone is enough to be able to afford to support myself (mortgage, bills, etc) and my horses and other animals. That being said, my SO is a vet with the significant student loans that the OP is referring to. He's in deferment right now, but once he has to start paying those back, the majority of his salary will go to those payments and I'll be supporting the family.

Do not feel guilty for wanting to have a job that can pay the horsey bills! I got guilted (and yelled at) by roommates in college for forgoing a horse career and pursuing a non-horsey career because I wanted a steady job so I could keep the horses. Now my horse-career roommates are struggling financially and I can afford vet bills when my horses hurt themselves.

I love my job, and while I can now afford what I want to do horse-wise, I don't have time for it because I'm at the early stages of my career. Go figure. Since I'm an academic, I'll have extra time in the summer that I hope to dedicate to my horses. Also, I should state that we do not have human kids. If I had human kids, I would not have time at all.

I think you have to weigh having lots of $$$ versus having the time to enjoy your horses. I left a lucrative career in real estate because I was always too tired after working 60 hours a week to ride. My trainer enjoyed my horse more than I did. I now have a career in permanent makeup and am easily making 40,000 part- time!
    Pick a career that will enable you to have flexible hours with is so important if horses are your passion. Also if you are a decent rider there seems to be plenty of people that are willing to lease in this economy. When my son was little( and I was breast feeding) , my friend allowed me to free - lease her horse. Lastly, pick a partner who is supportive of your riding goals and is a steady earner. I've seen several marriages where the horse is a point of contention because of money and time. It's taken awhile to "train" my DH , but he knows my horse is non-negotiable ! This will make your life so much easier, I can assure you!

I am an office manager for a sporthorse farm and DH is a nursing assistant. We both also do some part time and side work. I am an endurance and trail rider. I keep my 5 horses at home. I can easily afford what I do with my horses (not that I wouldn't love to be independently wealthy so I could spend every weekend horse camping LOL!) but I forego things in other areas (like shop at Goodwill, I don't have a smartphone, etc) and we don't have (or want) kids.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I pay for my horses by riding other people's horses and teaching lessons.

I consider the money I earn from being a lawyer "life money" and try to limit what I spend on the horses (about $1,500 a month) to just what I earn riding, so that the "life money" can be invested and I can retire as quickly as possible. My current goal is to flip my house and buy a duplex mortgage free, at which point the "life money" will really be cooking with gas.
    Just remember that, at interest rates as low as they are, below inflation, you can borrow and have money to make you considerably more money than the pittance it is paid for that borrowed money.

There are times where owing money and paying interest is not good, is costing you much.
    Now is not one of those times, which is what is keeping our economy limping along, on that borrowing power.

Now, if things change, interest rates take off, a recession finally topples the house of cards our economy is, then no one can foresee how to prepare for the least disruption to our lives as they are today.

On the question of what we do, I decided that horses were where I really belong.
    Being hard of hearing and with poor social skills, to get ahead in any profession was not going to work so well, in those professions women had access to that many years ago.

So, I decided if I wanted to work with horses, I needed to do so working for those with the deep pockets and best horses.
    Worked great for me, got to start, train and ride some great horses.

For that kind of life, you have to understand that you will always be the indian, not the chief, the bottle washer, not the cook.
    I don't think that kind of starting at the bottom for years of hard work would sit well with so many of today's youth, that have a deep sense of entitlement.

The best about working with horses is that you can consider them yours as much as if your name was in the papers.
    You get to live in wonderful places and go to the better shows and work for some wonderful people.
    Since most of your living expenses are paid by such jobs, if you save, you really get to accumulate a sizable amount of resources over the years, so when you retire you can do your own thing with horses.

Working with horses, if you are a good manager, can also then eventually translate in managing other kinds of assets, as many horse business are diversified, not strictly horses.
    There is some upward mobility in those kinds of jobs.
    In today's information age, any one job you find, you can keep studying, spend some hours a day/week on it and so your skills keep improving and you can advance forward or sideways into another job.
    That is so much easier today than when you could only do that with books, could not physically go to classes regularly with demanding horse jobs.

That life doesn't work if you want to be the one to own this and that, horses, houses, take vacations, if you keep spending what you are earning, or "want to be the boss", or raise a family, that brings so many other concerns to bear when it is not just you any more.

I hope I explained this right, there is so much more to what we may do with our lives than some paragraphs can describe.

2 members found this post helpful.

I came out with a BS in biology with a geology minor and was thinking about vet school. I decided that I was too burned out for the time & money committment for it. I worked a couple of years and did a MS in Environmental Science & Eng. and have worked a variety of environmental jobs. I could definitely afford a horse, showing and lessons on my single income, but to build the farm and start breeding, it took a dual income

So much depends where you live. Normally you adopt a lifestyle that goes with that level of income. You make more, you will likely opt to board at a nicer facility, show more, take more lessons, buy a farm etc.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

For what it's worth, I have a biochemistry degree. I still work in software consulting because that is where the $$ is. I wasn't happy making $35k a year as a research associate and didn't want to do a Ph.D. so here I am.

PS my company is always looking for newbies but you won't even have time to go to the bathroom for the first 2 years, never mind have a leisurely afternoon riding. For 37 weeks of the past 52, I was in a completely different state M-Th. Hence why I am just now thinking about buying a horse.

SNL,yes! I don't remember hearing about majoring in affluent husband finding at my school. Though many girls I know are literally set on going down that route.
    So wait a minute, since I am a stay at home wife who pays the bills, cleans the house, makes the meals, does the laundry, the daily chores of taking care of the farm, the grocery shopping, the hay buying and stacking, and everything BUT sitting at a desk all day, that makes me less worthy of owning horses? My husband is far from affluent and makes around 75,000/year now but when we were first married he made about 1,300/month. So when we both decided I would stay home with our daughter, I was supposed to give up any dreams of horse ownership because there was only his income?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    So wait a minute, since I am a stay at home wife who pays the bills, cleans the house, makes the meals, does the laundry, the daily chores of taking care of the farm, the grocery shopping, the hay buying and stacking, and everything BUT sitting at a desk all day, that makes me less worthy of owning horses? My husband is far from affluent and makes around 75,000/year now but when we were first married he made about 1,300/month. So when we both decided I would stay home with our daughter, I was supposed to give up any dreams of horse ownership because there was only his income?
    Sorry, but you completely missed the point.

Nobody said that stay at home whatevers shouldn't have horses.

But the point of this thread is the OP is looking for career options that will allow her to afford to live and have a horse. Can you not see how saying "I can afford it because someone else pays all my bills" isn't exactly helpful? It would be like a junior responding to this thread with: "Affording horses is easy, just have your parents pay for it!"

This really isn't a stay-at-home-mom v. working mom conversation, though you may want to have someone take a look at that chip on your shoulder.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

19 members found this post helpful.

Huge difference between stay-at-home mom and what I'm talking about. I know several girls who literally came to college with the goal of finding an affluent husband. The only thing they want in life is to be a trophy wife. My own mom is a stay at home mom and she certainly has her work cut out for her managing my brother and I, managing the home and finances and everything else. This is not the life the girls at my school envision. The sad part is, many are now engaged and have their "perfect future" all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Sorry, but you completely missed the point.

Nobody said that stay at home whatevers shouldn't have horses.

But the point of this thread is the OP is looking for career options that will allow her to afford to live and have a horse. Can you not see how saying "I can afford it because someone else pays all my bills" isn't exactly helpful? It would be like a junior responding to this thread with: "Affording horses is easy, just have your parents pay for it!"

This really isn't a stay-at-home-mom v. working mom conversation, though you may want to have someone take a look at that chip on your shoulder.
    Thanks for clarifying. You can take it however you want, but there is no chip on my shoulder. I am free to interpret your posts how they strike me at the time they are written.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for clarifying. You can take it however you want, but there is no chip on my shoulder. I am free to interpret your posts how they strike me at the time they are written.
    Then perhaps you should take a course in reading comprehension.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

7 members found this post helpful.

Huge difference between stay-at-home mom and what I'm talking about. I know several girls who literally came to college with the goal of finding an affluent husband. The only thing they want in life is to be a trophy wife. My own mom is a stay at home mom and she certainly has her work cut out for her managing my brother and I, managing the home and finances and everything else. This is not the life the girls at my school envision. The sad part is, many are now engaged and have their "perfect future" all set up.
    I feel sad for those girls, the future rarely turns out the way we think it will.

Not being a member of the work force, I have no idea what kind of career could get you to your goals, but I can commiserate with you on the trying to sort it out front. My own daughter is having a rough time sorting out her future too. She is no longer interested in horses but she does want to be able to support herself doing something she really enjoys but cannot settle on what that might be. In the meantime she is looking for any job she can get.