The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Default Schneiders Fitted V-Free Turnout. Opinions please.

I am thinking about buying one.

Very heavy duty, nice quality, and fits a high withered horse quite well. I pretty much only buy Schneider's blankets and sheets now.

2 members found this post helpful.

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

My TB mare has *withers* and this doesn't remotely rub or pull down on them, or slide back, or do any things that are typical with wither problems.

it's also wonderful for my normal-withered WB gelding.

As soon as my coming 2yo slows way down in growth, he will also be getting a Schneiders.

My kids have been in them for 7 years now

Thanks! Purchase made.

Can you guys speak to the water-proofness of the current Schneider's? I have some that are five & six years old and while they are super-tough and stand up to a lot of abuse, each one either was NEVER waterproof or became that way after less than a season (I only wash in Nikwax at the end of the season if needed, and hose off if needed during the season).

3dazey, you are in the south. Move north! Here the only precip we see is white and brushes off the blankets easily!

Problem solved. You're welcome.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

3dazey, you must have hit a bad batch - I've been using schneiders blankets for over 10 years and haven't had a failure yet. I'm also a firm believer that my horses will not melt in the rain so if it's not a driving, cold rain they are out (and one of the horses has a run so even when he's in, he's out if he wants to be), and if uh, you are near Georgia, you know they get a workout as far as clay and rain goes.

I bought new blankets for the older horse about 2 years ago (gave his hand me downs to the youngster) and this year I bought new blankets for the youngster. I've still got the old ones for backup.

the old horse has the stormshield versatility and the vtek vfree evergreen for the younger horse. The only thing I can say is the evergreen has a shorter drop than you might want on a big horse (works well - youngster is under 16 hands). The youngster is the. worst. thing. ever for shoulder rubs. Worst. He's as broad as a brick shithouse, his neck is set lower out of his shoulder so it doesn't naturally lift the blanket off the point of the shoulder and he's not blessed with an abundance of wither. So far the evergreen seems like a good fit for him - the neck is tight and forward enough and the seams come up high enough that it looks like it might keep some pressure off the shoulder.

I bough the blanket at the beginning of the year and just purchased the sheet in January. He's definitely filling in his shoulder rub spot since I started using that sheet instead of the older one, but I'm not sure if that's the new sheet or just shedding/new coat coming in...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I've had the Schneiders V-free stormshield blanket and sheets going on 4 yrs on Jet and another horse that are on 24/7 pasture and they still look new and are waterproof. Love their blankets. No rubs. Neck attachments run large though, so unless your horse has a really long neck, get a medium if you order one.

5 Stars !

Love, love, love them. I have 2 TBs in them all winter, dry and warm even in brutal cold, snow and wind.

3dazey, I know there was a very short period of time when the waterproofing was failing. Maybe yours is one of them. A few years back, there was also a QA issue and the stitching was unraveling. But the older ones and the newer ones are fine - I think they took care of whatever manufacturing problems they had.

Schneiders V-free rubbed both my horses shoulders badly. The blankets didn't stay waterproof either. They wear like iron though, so hopefully you luck out and it fits your horse/stays waterproof longer than a day.

Well, this is darn confusing! Some who think they are da bomb and others who have had the same lousy luck with them that I had. If I had faith in their customer service I might take a chance, but not getting the warm fuzzy about that, either. . Thanks everyone for their input, and good luck to the OP.

I've been eyeing the marathon bellyband, but I began to wonder would rain go down into the bellyband and puddle under his belly?

I am not really a big bellyband fan as if your horse is slightly goofy like mine and like to lay down, it's not so pretty when they get caught.

I have had good luck with the turnouts and most of my friend's horses live in them. My filly's sheet is absolutely waterproof and is holding up well considering she lives with a very tough, very mouthy young gelding.

I had one with a bellyband. As long as you keep it snug (which is how you're supposed to adjust it) you shouldn't have a problem with legs getting caught.

Love Schneiders blankets, have had very good luck with them.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I have a v-Free for the donk and I LOVE it. I want to get some horse sized ones for the two big horses. I'm just trying to justify it in my mind. I already have two sheets per horse as it is and I live in a pretty warmish climate...
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I have a v-Free for the donk and I LOVE it. I want to get some horse sized ones for the two big horses. I'm just trying to justify it in my mind. I already have two sheets per horse as it is and I live in a pretty warmish climate...
    I'm glad you qualified that you live in a warm area because I have WAY more than 2 blankets and I have one horse!

Oh, I have more clothes for them. The two each is just the rain sheets. They all have mid weight turnouts, too.

I just really, really like the v-free I got for my donkey this season. Now I want V-Free sheets for the horses! (I can usually get by with just sheets. I'll put the heavier stuff on if I need to but it's really hardly ever needed.)
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com