The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross Posting from HJ: Suggest saddles that may fit my OTTB?(pictures)

So I'm unfortunately shopping for a new saddle. I have a very good saddle fitter coming out to look at my gelding on the 16th, but it's a snow day and figured it doesn't hurt to ask here first. I have an Ashland, which I love, but it's much too wide for my OTTB and foam flocked It works OK with my Mattes pad, but I really want something that fits him well. I LOVE that it's a fairly flat seat, there are no blocks of any kind, and it puts me in a fairly good position. After 10+ years of riding in it, it makes anything else I sit in feel weird. My friend has a Frank Baines Elan(wool flocked) that I LOVE for myself. It fits her TB like a glove, and is a very comfy saddle without feeling like there's a lot of "stuff" in the way. I haven't sat it on/ridden in it on my TB yet, but might try it soon.

I did get a trial Frank Baines Reflex from Trumbull Mtn and I hated how deep/constricting the seat was, and it was still too wide for my guy.

I have another Reflex one that’s not as wide, and looks as if it’s a bit flatter coming on trial, hopefully I’ll get to ride in it tomorrow or Friday.

I do apologize for how dirty Nemo looks in the pictures, it's winter and he's hairy. He's also about 100lbs underweight in these pictures. We're working on putting the weight back on him so he'll be fat and happy.

There's also a few pictures of my Ashland in the album, that I love but doesn't fit him, and one of me in the saddle.

The tape marks are 3 fingers width behind the point of his shoulder(1), where the flexible curve sat to take wither tracings(2) and the lowest point of his back(3). I've also included the wither tracings in 2 pieces.

http://s1124.beta.photobucket.com/us...racing%20Album

Do any brands/models/types stick out? I'd LOVE to find something like an Elan. I'd like something with a flatter seat, no blocks/rolls, wool flocked and grippy leather. My price range is up to $1,600/$1,700. Obviously I'd like to spend less if possible. I'd prefer something used.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Your link doesn't work so I can't see the pictures

Here's my 2 cents though I recently went through saddle shopping hell, looking for a flat, forward flapped wool flocked saddle to fit a short backed TB with big long withers. I grew up riding in hermes and PDNs, and my all time favorite saddle is the old butet, of which I owned one, and of course it didn't fit this particular horse. So I think you and I may like the same things in saddles.

One of the County saddles is fairly flat and wool flocked. I hated it, the balance point was wrong for me, it may work for you.

Some older Albions are flat and minimalist, wool flocked and reasonably priced. I found one that was pretty good, but it was black, so I didn't buy it.

Kent and Masters makes a flat wool flocked jump saddles that is 1500ish brand new. I found it to be bulky under my thigh, and my horse hated it, but it may work for you.

One or two of the Prestige saddles are wool flocked, used they would be in your budget. Check VTO saddlery's used section.

I highly recommend the County Innovation,County Sensation, or the County Stabilizer with skid row panels

Ugh, thanks for the link info! I appreciate the suggestions!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

You could also try Stubben, they seem to fit TBs well, and they have some flatter seat jumping models. Check out the used demo saddles on their webpage.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

So I looked at your pics on the h/j thread, the link above still does not work. Your horse has a decent wither and a curvy back.

Just FYI- you may need to look at deeper seated saddles to accommodate the wither/ curve to the back.

I know that several people on here like the prestige eventer saddle. Its not that deep, its wool flocked and while it has blocks, blocks can be removed by a saddler.

Also, some of the stubbens would fit your parameters. Sadly their 2 nicest jump saddles IMO of course (Zaria and Portos) are foam, not wool. Both saddles are very h/j oriented and have nice more forward balance points , and used are in your budget.

My princess in a pea had a pretty flat back, but I still had a hard time finding something wool flocked that rode more like a Butet vs a bucket.

Good luck!

My mare has a massive wither and a curvy back and did not fit into my M tree Antares monoflap. A M tree in the Custom Monte Carlo monoflap fits her perfectly, though. A M tree Prestige eventer fits her decently, but I hate the saddle... puts me in a chair seat like no other. I am a huge fan of Custom Saddlery and my main jump and dressage saddles are both of that brand. However, I think the seat on the Monte Carlo might be a bit too deep for you and it's definitely padded. You can find them used on eBay in your price range and it might be worth trying to sit in one. Just my two cents.

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Take a look at the Smith Worthington saddles. They seem to all be wool flocked. The Avalon is their version of the saddles that you seem to like. Her's a link to their Clearance saddle page where you can find really good deals.
    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...parent=82&pg=1
    If you like Avalon and don't mind a plain flap, they have a steal of a deal.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thanks guys! I'll check some of these out. Unfortunately, the Baines I had on trial wasn't a forward enough flap for me. It didn't fit Nemo perfectly but I believe it could have been adjusted by a fitter. I'm pretty deflated about it.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Do you know what the leather is like on the Smith Worthingtons? It looks a bit like the slicker, less grippy leather?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by TatteredDaydreamer View Post
    Do you know what the leather is like on the Smith Worthingtons? It looks a bit like the slicker, less grippy leather?
    PM Beverley. I think she just bought one of the clearance Avalons.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire