The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mounted Archery anyone?

I've been obsessed with the idea after seeing pictures of it in the fall. At first all I saw were pictures of people in costume and thought it was neat, but for people who liked fantasy and dress up. But a few weeks ago I came across "normal" people doing archery from their horses and I became obsessed! I've contacted a couple experienced people via email for some advice and I plan on introducing the bow and start the ground work (on both of us) very soon.

I'm more excited to do something that may actually involve my husband and daughter, because they're both archers - they don't ride but they've both said they'll be able to shoot with me anyway (my daughter shoots competitively and is going to Nationals for the 2nd time, this spring). And I really, really need a focus, for me and for my horse(s)....it will be good for us both physically, and mentally.

Anyone else ever try it?

Yup, though only for fun off horseback, not competitively.

I was a competitive archer, nfaa mostly and a little fita, for over 10 years. Shot plenty of regionals and nationals too. Great way to see a lot of America you'd otherwise never have a reason to visit. Made a lot of great friends, and I still shoot quite a bit for relaxation.

Archery is a TON of fun, and a great family sport. You should absolutely get your family shooting off horse back.

I flyfish too, and yup did that off horseback as well though I don't think there are any competitions for that.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

1 members found this post helpful.

What a great picture, buck! From what I see the competitive horseback archers are mostly on the west coast, then there are a LOT n Japan and Hungary, so competitions are out for me too . I'm excited - I've never let go of the reins at a gallop before!

Centre of Horseback Combat has some fun photos on their FB page- I guess it's more of the costumed thing- but they don't dress up when they practice.

if you look at A Company Mounted Archery website or Fb their have educational video and diagrams of the shoot set ups including measurements.. I have a friend who is getting in to all this and that is where they got most their info.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I'm excited - I've never let go of the reins at a gallop before!
    lol! well I suggest practicing shooting off horseback, and galloping w/o reins *independently* at first until you're comfortable with each before combining them. If you go off tearing around without reins and a bow flapping around in your hands and quiver jangling on your back for the very first time your horse might have a little surprise in store for you

I picked up archery around the time the horse in the picture developed an on off lameness, so by the time I was proficient w a bow he wasn't galloping anywhere. I did a bit of trot and thats about it. Luckily his trot is so smooth you can literally sip coffee and not spill a drop, so he made me look good. Other than a few local demonstrations, I never really went anywhere with this, though it is fun.

Oooh oooh!!! Perhaps I can get someone to pilot my driving horse while I shoot off the back of my carriage! OMG! thats going to be fun!

Yes it is definitely much more of a west coast thing, in fact I've found there is a MUCH larger following in all things archery on the west coast. A few years ago, a nfaa nationals on the east coast brought barely 500 shooters. Every big shoot on the west coast I've been too brings well over 1000, often closer to 2000. Traditional archery has a big following in the east however, there is an annual traditional festival around here that brings almost 7000 archers each year.

Mounted archery is quite the art form in Japan (what isn't really), I have a book on Japanese mounted archery someplace, and a friend of mine made a mongolian style bow once a while back.

I got the chance to ride with a guy that showed me sword techniques off horseback too, thats a ton of fun also.

There is SO much you can do mounted.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

That sounds pretty neat. I'm excited about getting into mounted shooting, someday.

I've been communicating with some folks from A Mounted Company - very nice people.
    LOL...yes, we'll be learning parts independently for sure - learning to shoot on my own feet, but simultaneously working on leg and seat communication with Samantha (my Arab). I've already started desensitizing her to the bow and sound of the arrows - well, my daughter is helping with that. She's my bomb proof horse yet this is the only thing that has actually got a rise out of her! It wasn't horrible but it did get her heart rate up!

Thanks for the input. I'll be waiting for Driving archery pictures from you, buck22 .

Default The Epitome of Awesomeness . . .

Japan's Takeda ryu . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D4t2k-Joc0

Good luck, I'd love to try that!