The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Following mvp's lead and the poster that said to learn to communicate well. Definitely cultivate correct and effective communication-it's landed me more than one job. It's probably the only aspect of my English degree that is working for me. Nobody advised me in any way when I was in high school or college, my parents and advisers suggested I be a vet (I liked animals) or a teacher (I liked to read). I suck at math/science and I do not like working with kids that aren't my own so that did not carry me far.

My kids are 15 and 12 now and people are calling us to hire them, as babysitters, feed hauler at the feed store, firewood stacking, odd jobs and during hay season, the typical starter jobs, but they're in demand here because they are hard workers, they're polite, they don't have phones stuck to their finger tips, they are honest, they do what they say they'll do, they're well-spoken, know how to shake someone's hand and negotiate their pay (yes, even at 12 she does) and this makes them stand out from the crowd around here. People call them and pay them well. My girl was just delivering her girl scout cookies last night and got $10 in tips!

Know how to work, be reliable and honest and play well with others and you'll succeed whatever you choose.

2 members found this post helpful.

mvp's and cowboymom's posts are superb and very true. The youngster who does what cowboymom says will get hired, every time. Youngsters who can't communicate and are unreliable are the bane of all service businesses, in particular, and at your probable age and experience level, that is what you are looking at in the near term, employment-wise.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    My kids are 15 and 12 now and people are calling us to hire them, as babysitters, feed hauler at the feed store, firewood stacking, odd jobs and during hay season, the typical starter jobs, but they're in demand here because they are hard workers, they're polite, they don't have phones stuck to their finger tips, they are honest, they do what they say they'll do, they're well-spoken, know how to shake someone's hand and negotiate their pay (yes, even at 12 she does) and this makes them stand out from the crowd around here. People call them and pay them well. My girl was just delivering her girl scout cookies last night and got $10 in tips!

Know how to work, be reliable and honest and play well with others and you'll succeed whatever you choose.
    I would take the hard-worker by itself. I have tried to hire a "farm boy" for a few summers and cannot find one to work a) hard; and b) independently.

I used to have a bunch of boys who always wanted to work; I know they were poor and needed the money, but when they showed up they were helpful and resourceful. The last two summers I hired kids who were just lazy and I had to fire them.

A hard worker that was polite and reliable? I would pay them extra.

AND, more to the point for the OP -- a person who works hard and is reliable is going to start getting opportunities for advancement. So even if you hate mucking stalls, for example, if you do a good job and do it quickly, and then ask the BM if they would like you to (scrub buckets, clean the tackroom, or sweep the office), you will be more likely to move ahead and be the one who gets the better jobs requiring more skill and attention to detail. Or, at the very least, the good recommendation when you move on to bigger and better things.

Well worth reading: The Millionaire Next Door.

It debunks most of the popular misconceptions about who the successful really are and how they got that way.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Wow,so many well planned careers. I just kind of stumbled around, just got a job where I could and found out what I was good at (relative to others around me).
    Same here. I am in my early 30s and made almost 50k last year. I have no college education AT ALL. I work for a large Power Pant in FL and have been here going on 6ys. I happen to do Document Control for this pant and am 1 out of 2 ppl in the company. This happened by accident and has made me a bit important. However, I am HORRIBLE with money and need to get it together!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    ...I work for a large Power Pant in FL...
    Florida Flash & Flicker?
    (I used to live in Titusville.)
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Florida Flash & Flicker?
    (I used to live in Titusville.)
    No Formally Progress Energy... Now Duke Energy I'm in Crystal River. I work for fossil plants now but may be doing some Nuclear work too.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"