The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Work for yourself. Be an entrepreneur, particularly in a field that can't be outsourced. That means providing necessary services locally. People forget about these kinds of trades and the people that have them often do MUCH better financially than middle managers with college degrees. Here you go-

1. car mechanics
    2. plumbers
    3. electricians
    4. professional cleaning company

Got the idea? Learn a trade, start a business, work hard and reap the benefits. If you look at it carefully, these folks are the only ones who have a non-working spouse, 3 kids in private school, a McMansion and a summer cottage. No problem supporting a horse habit if that is what you want to do instead.
    A friend is an electrician and has one of the larger houses in town, with a huge shop for his trucks and supplies and a nice horse barn and his own 300' x 150' roping arena.
    He gets to practice there in the evenings and goes to many ropings in the weekends and does very well.

If you are good at a trade and at the business end of it, to get jobs coming your way, you can indeed do very well financially.

1 members found this post helpful.

OP, good for you for asking these questions. I would suggest that while you are pondering it, get a job for a year or two until you do figure out a concrete goal. I don't see a lot of point in taking college courses until you have figured out a goal that will motivate you. Sometimes it just takes people a bit to figure out a life plan and that's OK.

My brother started off at college without any real goals and the correspondingly bad grades to show for it. He took several years off to work as a mechanic. After realizing that he didn't want to spend the rest of his life doing essentially manual labor, he went back to college with renewed vigor, got all A's and B's, and now has a great job as a high school teacher. Just got his master's last year through night classes. That time in the real world made a huge difference in his career.

It would be all the better if you can get a job in the field related to what you think you might want to do. Spend some time candy striping or working in health care if you want to be a nurse, etc. so you don't go through a lot of school just to realize you aren't going to like it after all.

landscape design (requires master's degree) or landscape architecture (more specialized training)

Physician's Assistant

Occupational therapist (or even occupational therapist assistant) as well as physical therapist (or assistant)

Various sorts of medical technologist, espeically radiology, nuclear med, etc
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Many people have offered many good advice, but I'm going to throw in a couple of things... First make sure you do what you at least like. You may not love it, but don't pick on you will hate. It doesn't matter how much it pays. It you don't like it, you won't be motivated to do a good job, and at the end of the day, your job will make you absolutely miserable.

Second, make sure whatever you do, you can do a good job at. I'm an IT professional. I develop custom programs and support enterprise systems, and I'm well compensated, with tons of flexibility. However, I can tell you that I not only love my job, I am awfully good at it. I love the challenge, the changing natures of it, and believe it or not, the stress associated with it. When a problem arises, I don't have two days to resolve it: I have two hours, or even that. And no, I'm not a coder. I have seen people who struggle and struggle in this field where I feel like a fish in the water. They simply don't have certain aptitude to work in complicated systems, but if you do, it is a good field to be at. My company is struggling to fills several IT positions. We got tons of resume but it is a rare occasion when one qualified candidate come along.

OP, you've received a lot of great comments here. I am another vote for a STEM career - and choose one you enjoy! It's not fun to have a job you hate, trust me, I know. Check around to see what sparks an interest and ask local offices if they would be willing to have you shadow someone for a day or at least talk with you to help you decide before going to school for that career. While in school, you may want to continue working something part time (not sure what you're doing now?) or consider a Direct Sales job to help with finances. I work full time and sell a DS product (Love it!!!) and love the flexibility I have with my shows plus the fact that I have no inventory to keep and make 50% of what I sell. It works for me while I am considering either transfering to another school or leaving teaching. You can PM for more details if you're curious.
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be ignited." - Plutarch

Owned by: Ghold Nugget (Gold Luck - Pablo - Weltmeyer)

Default You don't have to love what you do to make money

Sometimes jobs you loathe pay waaaay more. I have a nursing license, I make far more money doing what I do now. Since I have an expensive horse habit, this job, while certainly not what I wanted to grow up to be, pays very very well.

Many high paying careers require a lot more education and degrees before you can start cashing big paychecks. Some type of sales, usually, requires more personality than education. It is cut throat and difficult and there are days when it just isn't much fun at all.

The negative feelings are replaced with "hell yeah" when I get home and look out at the barn, the arena and fencing.

You have to decide what it's worth to you, but there is no easy, fast track. No matter what you do, if you want it to finance and expensive horse habit, it will be years, if not decades of hard work.

Unless you are extremely pretty, in which case, marry well, and if you get that done, don't turn into a raving bi*ch, then you'll have no marketable skills (not legal ones anyway) and he'll ditch you for the next one.

While a valid question, it's also one you have to think very carefully about. Some people are fine with doing something monotonous or something they hate as long as it brings home the paycheck. I just can't do it. I've had a job I hated. The stress, the misery, in no way was it worth it.

Conservation biologist does NOT pay for anything, LOL. But I believe in it and when I've found an important endangered species in a stretch of gorgeous river most people will never see on a summer day that makes the water feel perfect -- when I sit back and say, wow, I'm getting paid (a tiny bit) for this, I feel very lucky. Hey, I have health insurance (which, thanks to the knee surgery from a freak horse incident and several other unexpected issues, is worth its weight in gold) and nearly inviolable job security, as well as a very flexible schedule and nearly unlimited vacation when I want it.

Yes, it is hard to make the horse thing work. Yes, there are many things I cannot do that those in higher (pretty much everyone) income brackets or kept women can do. Heck, I was even on track to becoming a kept woman with an amazing guy, it was all sorted out. His brain cancer short circuited that plan, so yeah, life has unimaginably painful lessons to teach, whether you particularly want to learn them or not.

So you really have to consider who you are, what kind of environment you can thrive in, what REALISTIC goals you have, and what your priorities are. I am very lucky to have an extremely supportive mother, without whom I could not compete or have the few amazing trips I do get to do. But as an adult, with some very hefty life lessons, well into my 30's, my perspective is dramatically different than it was 15 years ago.

Ultimately, I can say you will NOT end up where you expect to. Heck, I want to college to be an English teacher, LOL. Be open to opportunities and exploration, even if it seems off-track. If you told me when I was 20 that I would be a fish and mussel biologist, I would have laughed in your face. Oh karma, you win.

7 members found this post helpful.

Keep in mind where you want to live, as well.

For example, many high paying jobs can only be done in a handful of large, expensive cities. If your dream is to have rolling pastures, you might find out that you're better off in a career that appears to pay less well but that allows you to work in a rural area that has them, and affordably.

It's not so fashionable, but don't overlook career paths like plumber or electrician. You have to be smart, you often have the options to set your own hours, and your job has to be done locally all over our great nation. They apply to nearly every industry and they can't be outsourced.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I beg to differ, and speak from experience -- as the literature professor you're "calling baloney" on. If you teach at a good school, it's not unusual to pull a salary (in an English department) well into the six figures -- and the humanities are among the lowest paid. Even many community colleges pay their full time English faculty salaries of between $75K - $90K per year. As a tenure track to tenured professor you can also expect (also in my experience) full benefits [health, dental, life, pension, child care, etc], paid leave and holidays, partner benefits, spousal or ss partner hire, etc. And as a single person without spousal or partner income of any sort, I assure you it does pay for my farm and several horses. That said, it's not a career for everyone, and as the job market becomes weaker, chances for good tt jobs are tighter. If you check job stats, academic jobs for PhDs are still some of the highest paying and most stable. So again, to the OP, find a job that fits your talents and that also supports your horses.
    Wow, I don't have many colleagues who make six figures. In our university system, no faculty have had raises for the past several years. As for the really good money, here only the business faculty make it. Colleges are trying to cut back by using more TA's, more contingent faculty, and requiring heavier teaching loads. We have plenty of PhDs in lecturer positions because nothing better is available.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Start a business. Almost nobody ever got rich working in a salaried position. For one thing, your entire fate is riding on the vagaries of economics and someone else's whim. You are a cog in the wheel of their profit margin--until one day you're NOT. Then, you are of no more concern to them than a horse someone dropped off at the auction.

First, take enough business courses that you have at least basic knowledge of bookkeeping, business law, and the nuts and bolts of what you want to do. This need not be a 4-year or grad-school degree; it can be community college or even night-school. Next, work for a time in the kind of business you think you'd like to start and learn the ropes. This could be service, retail, real estate or consulting of some kind. Learn who the customers are, how to find them, how to present yourself and what right moves have to be made for the business to succeed. The job where you learn this may "look" like a dead-end; only you will know there's an ulterior motive and fergawdsake keep it to yourself! Save some money and make all the contacts you can.

When the time is right, slip away and launch your own venture. If you see some early success, get good advice and invest properly for the future. Don't just blow all your profits on horses! Make sure expansion of the business is undertaken conservatively and with good professional advice. Cover your tail financially always and forever and don't assume.

One day, with luck, your "office" will be the in-gate at the Dixon Oval!

Information/cyber Security.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by stelle View Post
    Hey everyone,
    ...BUT, what kind of careers are able to support this life style??
    ... im somewhat interested in sciences and helping people. I've looked into nursing but im worried that the salary wouldn't be enough. So coth PLEASE help me out!!
    Engineering - Computer Software/Systems/Information Assurance (computer security). Pay is very good and you can still live in some areas where you can buy land (farm) and drive to work in 20 minutes - like Florida.
    Sandy in Fla.

If you aren't motivated to go to school for four years (or eight years) and don't have an interest in CS/engineering then...maybe-consider jobs like plumbing, septic system cleaning/building, heating/air handling or electrician. All require a bit of vocational schooling but all allow for independence, the ability to grow a company and significant money -no matter what the recession. They are all jobs that you can apprentice (get a job in the industry), take some classes, get a license and build from there.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Keep in mind where you want to live, as well.

For example, many high paying jobs can only be done in a handful of large, expensive cities. If your dream is to have rolling pastures, you might find out that you're better off in a career that appears to pay less well but that allows you to work in a rural area that has them, and affordably.

It's not so fashionable, but don't overlook career paths like plumber or electrician. You have to be smart, you often have the options to set your own hours, and your job has to be done locally all over our great nation. They apply to nearly every industry and they can't be outsourced.
    My DH, Master Electrician, thanks you

It's good work - if you can get paid

Whatever you decide to do, keep the cost involved in learning the job in mind.

For example, law school is a huge investment . . . . and there is a glut of lawyers. You don't want to end up with a mountain of debt and discover you cannot get a job.

It's hard to give you advice without knowing what skills you bring to the party and what you enjoy. I work in Public Relations/Marketing. I've always been a writer and I enjoy technology. I work in very technical fields where my ability to "translate" the benefits of products and technology are helpful.

What jobs have you already had that you enjoy or that you feel that you are good at?

If you want to do something horse related, have you considered becoming a farrier or a massage therapist? Or become an appraiser?

A bit more information about you would be helpful. I think that by saying you would do anything you've opened yourself up to so many choices that it is paralyzing.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
    I have the motivation to do 4 years of schooling etc but I just dont know what for! If im going to school aimlessly thats when my motivation for school tends to decline.
    I'll look into taking some basic business classes- i really dont know anything about business and have never been interested in it, but it sounds like its good to know. Engineering i think is a bit out of my league though. The idea of starting my own business is interesting but also sounds kind of scary haha!
    Thanks again everyone. Im not looking at NEEDING to make 6 figures, if I learn to budget my money well I should be able to ride competitively at (3-4)? shows/year while living comfortably. I just needed some suggestions for careers I may have not considered yet.

In response to Bogie-
    I've worked part time in a deli at a local grocery store... that about as far as my work experience gets. Im still young and my parents have supported me so I haven't needed to work much. As far as what im good at- I'd say social sciences have always been an interest for me and i've done well in school with those (psychology especially), as well as biology when I really study well. I dont see myself going to law school, or becoming a doctor because I would be awful at both those and I wouldn't enjoy it.
    The farrier idea does sound interesting but i'm just worried about ruining my back. I've never really looked into massage therapy but I worry something like that wouldn't pay enough..

lol Okay, maybe I should have been more specific. High school is a killer, I'm teaching elementary school orchestra. But most veteran elementary teachers can get their work done before school. High school English? I can't imagine the after-school work load you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffie View Post
    Buah-ha-ha-ha-ha!! I teach high school English, and none of this applies (unless "the first few years" is actually 12).

I'm not sure what some of you think Radiology techs make, but it's not enough to accomplish what the OP wants unless she budgets like crazy and never has kids. I could probably afford a horse if I were to get divorced, but I don't show and money would be tight. Nuclear medicine techs make more, but you'd be better off getting a degree as a Physical Therapist. But that can change according to where you live and what kind of organization you work for. I make better than average in this field for this area, but I work at a hospital. Clinic techs make much less. Technical colleges have also flooded the market for this type of work, so you won't find much here. Not sure about the rest of the country.

Nurse anesthetists make good money. Not as much schooling as an anesthesiologist needs, patients don't talk back, but your hours and call expectations will vary depending on where you work.

Do your research and take the career tests to see what interests you. Also consider that you might be happier in the long run if you find something to do that you enjoy, even if you have to modify your horse goals.

And figure out how long you are willing to go to school, how well you can pay for it, how much debt you are willing to go in to, etc. That might help narrow down your options.

Massage therapy may be shown on TV as the latest n greatest, but I have a friend who has now been in TWO different states (husband is military) and hasn't been able to get a job in either one. Mostly because EVERYONE else had the same idea.

And I second that geography matters. My job, which I L-O-V-E, makes quite a bit...we are comfortably middle or upper-middle class, not sure the brackets anymore. I make more than my DH, and have the possibility to make six figures if I keep moving up the ladder. But if I lived below the Mason Dixon line? I'd be making about 1/3 of what I make here. Yes, literally. But on the flip side, my education and background requirements are higher and stricter.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

And.....once you start making money and saving for your future....learn to trade options!