The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to call baloney on those who are advising that you should do what you love. Riding for a living doesn't pay. Teaching literature? Sorry, not either. It's what we call a necessary but not sufficient condition.

I applaud you asking this question BEFORE you enroll in the medieval poetry PhD program, and not after.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stelle View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I graduated from high school two years ago and im at loss at what I should do as a career.
    If someone was to ask what I wanted to do in life, i'd answer with riding and showing horses. BUT, what kind of careers are able to support this life style??
    I've taken some university courses off and on but without a set goal I have little motivation for school. I also don't have the $ to invest myself extensively into the horse world to become a trainer or anything. My goals in riding are to show at AA hunter jumper shows successfully, so I need a career where i make enough money to afford the horse,training and expenses. Im already/have shown at this level so I know how expensive it can be.
    aside from riding, im somewhat interested in sciences and helping people. I've looked into nursing but im worried that the salary wouldn't be enough. So coth PLEASE help me out!!
    Successful people have the the one thing that you seem to lack and that is motivation. People with drive and determination are successful in a variety of careers. Successful people work really hard to get where they are. Focus on STEM fields or STEM education. STEM is a acronym for the fields of study in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. There is a shortage of qualified graduates in these fields.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm going to have to call baloney on those who are advising that you should do what you love. Riding for a living doesn't pay. Teaching literature? Sorry, not either. It's what we call a necessary but not sufficient condition.

I applaud you asking this question BEFORE you enroll in the medieval poetry PhD program, and not after.
    I beg to differ, and speak from experience -- as the literature professor you're "calling baloney" on. If you teach at a good school, it's not unusual to pull a salary (in an English department) well into the six figures -- and the humanities are among the lowest paid. Even many community colleges pay their full time English faculty salaries of between $75K - $90K per year. As a tenure track to tenured professor you can also expect (also in my experience) full benefits [health, dental, life, pension, child care, etc], paid leave and holidays, partner benefits, spousal or ss partner hire, etc. And as a single person without spousal or partner income of any sort, I assure you it does pay for my farm and several horses. That said, it's not a career for everyone, and as the job market becomes weaker, chances for good tt jobs are tighter. If you check job stats, academic jobs for PhDs are still some of the highest paying and most stable. So again, to the OP, find a job that fits your talents and that also supports your horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Malda View Post
    Teaching. Like nursing, you better love the job (which I do). Weekdays I'm generally at the barn by 3:00, I have winter and spring break, and summer off. The first few years you'll be working many, many hours after school, but at this point I can get all my work done before school.
    Buah-ha-ha-ha-ha!! I teach high school English, and none of this applies (unless "the first few years" is actually 12).
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post

But I do love what I do. Which is manage the training dept for a 30+ location urgent care business. I develop online learning content, mesh policy with reality, and create fun interactive learning tools for our employees. I love my job. And i am well compensated.
    Me and my sorry old English degree.

But my fun job is someone else's nightmare. Hell no I don't want to ride for a living. Now that sounds like work!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I work with teenagers and young adults, exactly in the OP's age (assuming she graduated at 18), and the feeling I get from the OP's post, which some have touched on, is in the majority. It's a me-me-me world and zero motivation. I don't know who broke this generation, but it happened.

No. Not all. But a huge, huge majority. Other than HS teachers, I probably come into contact with a larger and more diverse group of teenagers and young adults than anyone else...and they almost all have this same high-goal/low-drive mentality. My coworkers and I spent about an hour discussing this last night (3am on Wednesday are slow).

Anyways, lament for the future over, back to suggestions for OP.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

3 members found this post helpful.

Computer science is where it's at. The jobs are growing and the number of graduates to fill them isn't. Learn to code and you're golden. The average web/software/systems developer job isn't going to have you rolling in the dough, but that shouldn't be necessary to live a decent lifestyle with horses if you don't live in an outrageously expensive area of the country. I work in E-Commerce (not on the IS side of things, though I've been working to develop my strengths and resume in coding) and don't make nearly the figured people are quoting in this thread, but I can comfortably pay my mortgage and bills and support one competition horse. I have two other useless ones I take care of too, but I'm lucky my family has a farm where they live, so that cuts down on expenses. I'd be able to afford one horse if I did not have the family farm.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Science technology engineering or math (stem). There's a shortage of qualified people in the US.

You like science? What about Engineering (chemical, materials, electrical)? You'll work really hard but it pays well and there are lots of jobs out there.

Thanks for some of the suggestions everyone.
    I was hoping for less hostility however, but it is the Internet.
    Anyways, When I say I'd like a job to be able to support horses and showing, I don't mean showing every weekend or buying a 6 figure horse. I'd be more than happy showing a few shows in the summer and taking the winter off and just practicing.
    As for the motivation bit- I am motivated, if I have goals set. My driving factor is horses, that's my motivation. Once I find a career I feel would fit my needs and make me happy I would have tons of motivation for school and to do well in my job. I'm willing to work hard in whatever career I choose in order to have horses.

5 members found this post helpful.

Figure out some careers that you are interested in, and talk to people that are doing that job -- see if you can shadow them and get a real sense of what the day to day job is like. There are not too many big $$$ jobs w/ short hours & flexibility. The way to maximize income & flexibility is to put in the time & hard work to develop expertise and a professional reputation.

I'd highly recommend that you read "Winning" by Jack Welch - or listen to the audiobook version. And, then read "Outliers:The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell. Those 2 books would be a great start in helping you think about what it takes to be highly successful in a career.

OP is not the first person to flounder a bit w/ indecision post high school / college and deserves credit for taking the initiative to come here and ask for advice.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

6 members found this post helpful.

I think the issue with saying 'do what you love' is that it is limiting. The options for jobs that are 'loveable' are endless for many people and often a young person will not be introduced to the possibilities without the time, networking, and education that comes with a formal education. A formal education of course is not necessary but it is your best bet.

I'm graduating in April with a BA (soc major), debt-free (worked as a server/took 5 years/live at home), and have even been able to support a young horse for the last year and a half. My GPA is high enough that grad school is an option down the road if I choose, but I am going to pursue a career in pharmaceutical sales. It ticks a lot of boxes for me, and I know I can find a firm that is consistent with my values. I will work hard, and this industry rewards that generously.

If I 'did what I loved', it would be: riding, painting, or working with marginalized youth. All of these things I can continue to do, they will just not be my job.

Good Luck, OP. I didn't know what I wanted to do but stuck with school and found an avenue that I absolutely love. You've had a lot of sound suggestions.

Like you I only wanted to ride. Won't make any assumptions about your circumstances. I had planned to go to college, but given school politics, distractions from issues of older siblings and total and complete lack of support from school counselors, I chose to just go to work. Of course the jobs were essentially low paying, but some were fun. Fast forward about 15 years and there I was divorced, no alimony (long story-doesn't apply here) in the middle of a bad economy.
    So I went back to school, the only one I could afford was a technical school. Actually a great place for me. The lead instructors of each department understood we were all non-traditional students and in many cases needed to find our joy in learning again. Everyone had to take a test that helped us to determine which field of study our best suited us. Imagine my surprise when the test indicated I had an aptitude for logic thinking. So I enrolled in both computer courses, PC repair+programming and mid-range/mainframe programming. Graduated with honors, not bad for an broad working full time.

Long story to say go to a your local technical school, college or university. Take their placement/aptitude tests. It will help you find your way.

FYI - My salary is sufficient to maintain our farm should my husband past on before me. Had I continued, as in used the tech school as a springboard for a college degree, my salary would be greater.

As to computer science, there are an amazing number of job opportunities. The job that was most challenging, physically and mentally, was PC support, both hardware and software, plus telephone and network support at a manufacturing plant.

Sorry to be so long winded, hoping you find a vocation that challenges you and you enjoy.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I think the key is being realistic in your expectations.

What kind of jobs will allow you to walk in with little/no experience, pay you a lot, and have flexibility to ride and show the A circuit? Pretty much none, that was why the jokes about royalty, rich widow, etc.

But if your goals are less ambitious than the A circuit (for now), you might be able to further your long term goals and still pay your bills. There are other ways you can ride & show that are not the A circuit; and much more affordable.

As for "do what you love" - yes, that would be ideal for us all. Although what we often love is not something other people will pay much for us to do. So, it is worth exploring other things you like and are good at - and with luck you can find career path(s) you *like*, even if they are not your favorite avocation (riding). The link for the Dept. of Labor Occupational Outlook is a good one - check it out and see what is out there, what it pays, experience necessary, etc. for your area.

And when you are not in school or working, you can go to local barns and ask if they need grooms, part time instructors, stable help, whatever. They might not pay you, but if you enjoy it, who cares (for now?) If you are any good, you might end up making some money and meeting someone who has a horse that needs riding, or a free lease, etc.

Unless your parents are supporting your riding as an adult, you have to be prepared that your standard of living will drop until you have been working for long enough to make some money of your own. But if you are patient, and set realistic goals, there is no reason you can't ride and show horses even as a young adult (just perhaps not on the A circuit [yet]).

**ETA: Oh, and almost forgot to mention -- keep your education debt as LOW as possible. That way you will not be forced to take a job you hate in order to pay your student loans. Cut your credit cards up as well. Live within your means and you will have far more flexibility than those who *have* to make a certain salary to pay off their loans.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I don't know who broke this generation, but it happened.

No. Not all. But a huge, huge majority. .

Might have started with Every One gets a Blue Ribbon (Red for Canada) and 1st place award.... even the ones that could not or would not, did not even try... erosion of standards of expectation put nearly all on them on the same level playing field of despair

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Surgeon, Attorney, Corrupt Politician, Drug Dealer, Pre-school care assistant*

*I am lying about this one.

I'd revise that list to read: plastic surgeon for the rich and famous, ambulance chaser, drug kingpin. Add professional golfer, baseball player, basketball player. Movie star. Singing sensation. Trophy wife.

Seriously, OP, I don't think there is anything wrong with your question. But a lot of us (even lawyers like me) would love to make more money and have more time for our horses.

I didn't say you shouldn't love what you do, I said, that requirement isn't enough to guarantee the result sought by the OP, which is, an income sufficient to ride competitively. Doing what you love doesn't at all guarantee the $$$. Sorry, it just doesn't. To make a very good income, she will have to be choosy about her field, get a very competitive education, and work hard. All of which is much easier if you love what you do, of course.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Work for yourself. Be an entrepreneur, particularly in a field that can't be outsourced. That means providing necessary services locally. People forget about these kinds of trades and the people that have them often do MUCH better financially than middle managers with college degrees. Here you go-

1. car mechanics
    2. plumbers
    3. electricians
    4. professional cleaning company

Got the idea? Learn a trade, start a business, work hard and reap the benefits. If you look at it carefully, these folks are the only ones who have a non-working spouse, 3 kids in private school, a McMansion and a summer cottage. No problem supporting a horse habit if that is what you want to do instead.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Software engineer - though not in games The fact that DH is one is the only reason I get to ride - my assistant librarian salary wouldn't even pay rent here in eastern MA!

If I didn't love my job so much, I'd consider going into something like a radiology tech (really any tech type in a health field), pharmacist(though so much school!), or plumber. Interesting work and pretty decent pay!

I agree with Lori B. I've had 2 jobs in my life that I absolutely loved. Neither paid enough, or would ever have paid enough, to have a good middle-, upper-middle-class lifestyle. Most of us have to find a compromise - a job you like and mostly enjoy that offers a good salary and benefits.

And DancingFoalFarms, I don't know where you live and how long you've been in the biz, but your comments about academic salaries and working conditions are certainly not true of the area where I live - at least not today. Most colleges and universities are moving toward the non-tenured annual-contract faculty model. And the salaries you cite are more typical of those earned by upper level tenured faculty. For most areas of the country and most disciplines, salaries are quite a bit below that.

Toward the end of grad school, my major professor told me that the gravy days of academia were ending and advised me to look for employment outside academia.
    Last edited by NoSuchPerson; Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added info