The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

OP, no matter what you decide to do with your life, learn to write clearly, correctly, and well. No matter what your degree, there is always a job out there for someone who is good at communication. No matter what your job, it will be made easier if you can convey your ideas to others effectively. Nobody likes a word salad.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

6 members found this post helpful.

Here is my advice to you grasshopper:

1) People who are remotely hostile towards a young person seeking career advice should be ignored. Unless what they say makes you angry because anger can be a great fuel.
    2) Do seek career advice, especially in supportive places. Colleges generally have better mentoring and counseling services than high schools. Equestrian communities are full of successful people who are in a great time/space to chat. Solicit mentoring and encouragement shamelessly and for the rest of your life. Remember to return the favor.
    3) On a piece of paper right down your dream job or a few qualities you would like your job to have and a job you think you would be good at. This is where it gets a little woo-woo, but I recommend doing this with your non-dominant hand. This is important information. Don't shove it aside because you heard ______ make good money. Find out if there is a sub-field of _______ whose careers overlap well with what you wrote down. If there isn't, don't even think about becoming a ______.
    4) Gather information on income, sector growth AND job satisfaction. Look at where the lines intersect and see if any of those careers is palatable to you.
    5) Learn strategies for riding on the cheap. There are many and 6 figures is not anytime soon or even a guarantee.
    6) And I think this needs to be said: Do not plan on the income of a spouse or give up a reasonable level of financial independence, but don't date like you're charity organization, either. You can control who you fall in love with by controlling who you date [from http://www.penelopetrunk.com/ which I recommend]. Make choices in that area of your life that are consistent with your values and goals in the other areas.

Good luck OP!
    Last edited by HillnDale; Mar. 7, 2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: confusing typo
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

5 members found this post helpful.

as for careers that can support a horse I have found that no matter what you earn a horse can spend more than you can earn

16 members found this post helpful.

Politician. Someone mentioned corrupt politician, but that's redundant. "Honest politician" is an oxymoron.

Click here. One caveat about the medical careers mentioned, however: the industry is in a state of flux, and that could change almost overnight.

Whatever path you choose, make sure it's one you will enjoy. Remember that old adage: "Love what you do and you'll never work a day in your life".

FWIW, I was an engineer, and was able to have at least one horse from the time I was in my mid-twenties. But that was almost a half century ago. You're going to have to help pay off the debts the politicians and bureaucrats have, and continue to, run up.

It helps if you have people working for you, i.e. own your own business. But you'll have to be disciplined and willing to put in 50, 60, and even 70 or more hours per week.

About that Kiplinger link above: Click on the "magazine" tab at the top of the page and consider subscribing to it. It's $12/year and each issue gives excellent advice about managing your money and planning for your future. It's probably the best investment you'll ever make.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

I just graduated from Nursing school in December. I had a tough time finding a job. There are two big hospitals in my town and neither of them would even give me an interview. So nursing jobs are not so easy to just walk into like everyone said before I started with nursing school. I ended up starting at a small hospital 35 minutes north of where I live. And so far I absolutely love it. The pay is competitive with the pay I would have made at one of the two hospitals in my town, but most of all I just really enjoy the people I work with and the types of patients I care for.

I haven't had enough time to really figure out how far my salary will go with my horses, but so far I can see that it may be a struggle. I am not going to be able to go to big rated shows. (Which I didn't do before anyways.) I'll be able to comfortably do a couple shows each year probably. However, one major bonus is that I pretty much pick my own schedule so my work schedule will seldom interfere with my show/riding schedule.

I think that it can be done with my salary, HOWEVER, budgeting is a must. I haven't been eating out as often, I don't buy random things I don't need, I am very picky about what my money is spent on. In the long run this will help me out with my horse hobby. For now all I can say is that I am incredibly thankful that my parents allow me to keep my horses on their property and do not charge me as much as a boarding barn would.

If you like the direction of nursing, but want a bigger salary, you can look into becoming a CRNA. But with that comes more responsibility... where I work we have one main CRNA and he is pretty much on call 24/7. He just has to be available at all times. And if he is on vacation or something he appoints someone else that he thinks can fill his shoes for a couple days.

Good luck!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I are both military. I could comfortably afford(although I am not at the moment). Boarding and showing with a BNT in the local area. We're also both enlisted so I mean we aren't rolling in the dough but we live a very nice life.

Quote Originally Posted by Malda View Post
    lol Okay, maybe I should have been more specific. High school is a killer, I'm teaching elementary school orchestra. But most veteran elementary teachers can get their work done before school. High school English? I can't imagine the after-school work load you have.
    Oh, I'm jealous--I'm a music-teacher wanna-be!
    I've run middle school band rehearsals a few times, and I'm not sure there is enough money in the world for that job.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

I have not read the entire thread so I don't know if anyone has pointed you to a career in sales, especially medical device sales. The jobs are very competitive to get and you do need to be willing to hustle and to be able to influence people's decisions. It is hard to go directly into medical device sales, they want to see you succeed in one of the very well established fields such as copier sales, etc. Good reps make in excess of $200,000, excellent reps practically write their own paychecks. A college degree is usually required, but most positions will only require a BA or BS.

If I was your age and could re-start my career, that is where I would go. I am a pharmaceutical sales rep (past 12 years) and I do love my job. I make good money and I do have considerable flexibility in my schedule. Unfortunately, the field is not as lucrative as it was just 5 years ago and it continues to shrink. I believe that it is probably a dying industry and I don't recommend new people to try to join in.

Good luck in your choice. I definitely considered money and a desire for a flexible schedule when I decided to choose my career.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Not sure of why there was so much hostility in the beginning of the post. I never saw anywhere that the OP said she didn't want to work; simply that she wanted to find something that could afford some A showing and hadn't found something she was interested in.

OP I am happy that you haven't wasted your money on years in college dabbling in this and that and waiting until you find what you really want to do.

I am currently a nanny and make a comfortable living. It's something you could do now and afford the horses or at least contribute towards it while waiting to complete a degree. Nannies in my area make anywhere between $10-$20 an hour. If you like children, which I really, really do, it's a great job. There's a wide variety of ages you can work with. I prefer elementary school children as I can also help with homework, which is something I really enjoy. I've always wanted to be a teacher but am working on going pro right now. My hours as a Nanny are flexible. I work in the evenings and occasionally on weekends because the kids go to school.

Don't limit yourself to doing just what you love, but instead decide to love what you do. There is a difference. Whatever it is. Love it, embrace it, kick ass at it. It's the only real way to advance and have a "career" that can support a horsey lifestyle, instead of just a job.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I beg to differ, and speak from experience -- as the literature professor you're "calling baloney" on. If you teach at a good school, it's not unusual to pull a salary (in an English department) well into the six figures -- and the humanities are among the lowest paid. Even many community colleges pay their full time English faculty salaries of between $75K - $90K per year. As a tenure track to tenured professor you can also expect (also in my experience) full benefits [health, dental, life, pension, child care, etc], paid leave and holidays, partner benefits, spousal or ss partner hire, etc. And as a single person without spousal or partner income of any sort, I assure you it does pay for my farm and several horses. That said, it's not a career for everyone, and as the job market becomes weaker, chances for good tt jobs are tighter. If you check job stats, academic jobs for PhDs are still some of the highest paying and most stable. So again, to the OP, find a job that fits your talents and that also supports your horses.
    Wait a sec. You need to be more candid about the destruction of tenure and the adjunctification of university teaching. Professorizing ain't what it used to be.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Join the National Guard. Many states give free college tuition to National Guard members.

While in the NG, you can also get not only free training for a whole range of careers, but also job experience, from computers, to medical, to pilot, to engineer, to air traffic control, to heavy machine operator, to security/intelligence (very sought after), to ship captain, to oceanographer, to military dog trainer, to law enforcement, etc. And you get paid while doing it, and will be working towards a retirement pension (one of the very few careers with a pension). Plus, having a diversity of job training available may give you a better idea what direction interests you.

Then, you can take that training and experience to civilian employers and have something significant for your resume instead of just high school.

And, if you are really clever, you can go active duty and apply to the military program for Pentathalon Training in San Antonio TX (I think). Then you will get your military paycheck, while riding, swimming, shooting, fencing, and running...and competing all the way up to the Olympics. (And still be adding years to your retirement pension).

If you consider military, know that besides Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Air Force, there is also NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration) that has a military branch. Same pay and benefits.
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Another job that brings in six figures that no one has mentioned, is phone sex. No kidding.
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer...but this probably needed to be figured out while you were in HS and had access to a career/college/whatever counselor.

What are you CURRENTLY doing?
    I went to a city college to figure this out actually, I don't think at age 16/17 you are mature enough to have something set it stone figured out.

Op: I'm going into editing (writing wise), so if it's swung right, and thus far it has been, I'd be working a M-F 8-5, career that supports horse habits.

OP you are not alone. I'm a few years older than you, but pretty much in the same boat, except I have essentially wasted thousands of $$'s (mine, my parents, and the government's) on tuition that got me a degree I don't like or use. I wish that when I had graduated high school, or even junior college, I had taken a year off to work and figure out what I wanted to do. I had a highly motivating professor at my JuCo, but I lost motivation when I realized the field I loved required more statistical skills and higher education than I had and could do. I hate school.

My advice to you at this moment? If you're old enough in your state, find a bartending job. I'm looking into going back to school for a restaurant management degree because it's what I'm good at, and what I love. Of course I learned this too late. I was introduced to the restaurant/bar industry at 18, and I've held a range of positions within the industry. The hours can be crazy if you're a manager (at one point I was putting in 65-70 hours) and scheduling can be tough, but if you find a place that works for you and is willing to work WITH you, you can make good money. Cash tips are amazing. I was working two, sometimes three, nights a week at a local (failing) dive bar, and I was able to support all of my horse's basic needs, plus show fees.

Do what you love, but make sure you really want to DO it. I love Sociology and it was easy for me, until I had to take certain courses that would have enabled me to become a professor. My math skills are embarrassing, and i just could. not. comprehend statistics, which is basically the easiest section of math. I watched professors I adored, who had motivated me and who I wanted to be like, be frustrated day after day with students who didn't care. I briefly...BRIEFLY...considered becoming a high school teacher. But now when I see ten year olds attached to their iPhone....I am so, SO glad I didn't pursue that.

Best of luck. You are not alone, and I wish I had gone through the "Uhhhh, what now?" phase when I was your age, before I had wasted so much time and money. With the money I've put into my education, I could have a very nice, paid off truck and trailer. Not new, but still nice. THAT pisses me off more than anything.

2 members found this post helpful.

Engineering is good - if you're into it. If you're not into it you'd hate it and every day would be a chore. Also jobs tend to be located either in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of big cities, either way not always great for affordable horse ownership and showing!

And, just throwing it out there, look at where you want to live too. The world is larger than just the USA and also has horses and horse shows. And often a much more "employee friendly" culture. As a professional engineer in NZ I earn enough $$ to comfortably keep 2 competition horses (NZ styles, differs slightly from USA styles! Much more affordable), own my own home, I could own my own farm if I chose to but at the moment I choose not because I like just being able to turn up and ride and not have to take care of farm chores, I have a nice overseas holiday every 2-3 years, money in the bank basically. And I only have my salary. I work with many many other engineers from all over the world who have moved here to take advantage of our great lifestyle and work/life balance.

Basically, I get 30 days leave a year along with the 14 or so statutory holidays we are entitled to, flexibleish hours (if the farrier is coming I start late and work late, if I have a lesson after work I start early and finish early etc) and reasonable pay. Of course there are times when work takes priority and horse stuff gets shifted or I miss out, but generally not. I love my job!

You do have to pay your dues though in whatever field you choose to go into. I can't think of a single career that you would start out in earning 6 figures and have flexible hours.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    OP, no matter what you decide to do with your life, learn to write clearly, correctly, and well. No matter what your degree, there is always a job out there for someone who is good at communication. No matter what your job, it will be made easier if you can convey your ideas to others effectively. Nobody likes a word salad.
    AMEN to this. I teach writing, and I had a student who told me once that he didn't need to write well: he was going to have a secretary. I told him, "If you work with someone who can write that well, she is going to be your boss."
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    you do need to be willing to hustle and to be able to influence people's decisions. It is hard to go directly into medical device sales, they want to see you succeed in one of the very well established fields such as copier sales, etc. .
    well that is something to think about when the doctors advise to have a replacement knee or what ever... my darn copier never worked as the salesman said and it sure is can not do what they said it would do

Quote Originally Posted by nzrider View Post
    . I can't think of a single career that you would start out in earning 6 figures and have flexible hours.
    one that requires little training but requires the ideal site is pan handling
    http://www.3rocks.org/food/

ID thief is another with very flex able hours

Wow,so many well planned careers. I just kind of stumbled around, just got a job where I could and found out what I was good at (relative to others around me).