The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone here used CL to sell a (decent) horse?

Just curious. I have one for sale and while he's not the most expensive thing in the world, he's not a total cheapie either. Wondering if it'd be worth putting him on CL or if it would just bring the crazies and tire kickers out. I'm scared to get into specifics for fear of it being considered "advertising" here, but will say he's not an $800 trail horse or a senior citizen. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    Just curious. I have one for sale and while he's not the most expensive thing in the world, he's not a total cheapie either. Wondering if it'd be worth putting him on CL or if it would just bring the crazies and tire kickers out. I'm scared to get into specifics for fear of it being considered "advertising" here, but will say he's not an $800 trail horse or a senior citizen. Thoughts?
    I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, as I haven't used CL to sell horses. However, I have purchased two exceptionally nice WBs off CL, one of which is my GP prospect. I also recently found a lovely premium WB mare on CL. It's become one of the first and most frequent places I check

1 members found this post helpful.

i do not understand why some people refuse to use CL. it is one of the busiest places that people look. FREE and lots of viewers. Why wouldn't you use it? i have seen some $12,000 horses and free horses on CL. as well as tack.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    i do not understand why some people refuse to use CL. it is one of the busiest places that people look. FREE and lots of viewers. Why wouldn't you use it? i have seen some $12,000 horses and free horses on CL. as well as tack.
    Exactly.

What could it possibly hurt to toss him up there? Takes half a second to delete a spam email, and you get those from all the regular horse classified sites too.

I can't answer the OP's question either, but I don't understand why anyone wouldn't take advantage of CL. You can simply delete any inquiries that don't seem legitimate. I've used it to buy and/or sell just about everything and actually have had quite a bit of luck finding skilled help for home renovations. I have an RSS feed set up to alert me of horses, tack, and pontoon boats for sale in my area - I love it .

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking, GoFor. I've never known anyone that bought or sold a horse there so figured I'd post here for opinions. I'm in a pretty horsey area but typically only see super cheap and/or old horses on my local CL. I'll try it this weekend and see what sort of response I get. I think my biggest hesitation with it is that horsey is at home and not beginner friendly so I don't want to attract the "my kid wants a free pony ride on Sunday" type. So far I've only advertised on horse-only sites and my fb.

*ETA-- I'm not anti-CL at ALL, we've used it to rent several houses that we own, buy farm equipment, sell hay, sell a car, etc. and have met some very nice people! Just wasn't sure about it from a horse selling standpoint.

Bought a $2000.00 trail horse off of CL, nice horse just too much horse for his elderly rider.

I bought a WB mare off Craigslist this fall. I will admit that I was apprehensive about the source *and* the price (moreso the price) but in the end found the mare to be exactly what she was advertised to be. And, since the seller had had her advertised for sale for some time (but not on CL), it was a pretty quick and efficient sale, since someone like me peruses CL frequently and saw the ad right away. '

So, I wouldn't be against listing a horse on CL, but I do think there is a difference between the "typical" CL advertisement and a good sale ad - the latter being one that will attract a good buyer and minimize the bad buyers.

Yup, and I can't imagine why people would NOT post an ad there. If a crazy comes your way, show them the door. That said, plenty of respectable people check craigslist. I've actually had more trouble with the crazies on Dreamhorse than Craigslist.

Insofar as *I* check, CL, I know there are some non-BS horse buyers out there. IMO, you have to vet any buyer and do the customer service that comes with selling horses regardless of the place you advertise.

In my neck of the woods, you'll see lots of horses you don't want on something like Dreamhorse, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

As a buyer, Craig's List would not even be on my list of places to look.

We do not breed so we have bought all of our stock. Just personal preference on our part but we have used known sources for all of our purchases. We have never gotten a horse that was not the one we wanted.

As for selling a horse on Craig's List; I prefer to not have guests at our place that I need to check the police blotter to make sure they are not on the catch list.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post

We do not breed so we have bought all of our stock. Just personal preference on our part but we have used known sources for all of our purchases. We have never gotten a horse that was not the one we wanted.

As for selling a horse on Craig's List; I prefer to not have guests at our place that I need to check the police blotter to make sure they are not on the catch list.
    Why is it ANY different than any other classifieds listing service?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Why is it ANY different than any other classifieds listing service?
    None, do not use those either.

How Rude of you. A Lot of great people Myself included, look thru CL every day. How can you think that only dirtbags and criminals do?

6 members found this post helpful.

How Rude of you. A Lot of great people Myself included, look thru CL every day. How can you think that only dirtbags and criminals do?
    I don't believe the poster's intent was rudeness. I have never looked for a horse on cl either. I have always found my horses by word of mouth. It just so happened this last horse was on cl, but I only found out about her because someone sent me the ad.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Just my opinion, but it does appear that some sellers on Craig's List steal to order, thus make a career

May be my point of view is tainted since I spent years working on prisions and even the one for teenagers we were continuely advised to not turn our back on these kids as they were all in this State School for murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giddings_State_School

Well, in an ideal world, the perfect buyer would always be a friend of a friend, and there would never be a need to advertise for anything.

But, in the *real world*, sometimes the perfect seller and buyer don't happen to be local acquaintances, so it's necessary to advertise, and in today's day and age it's on the internet. I don't know that a seller is really any *safer* from wackos by selling a horse on dreamhorse or Bigeq.com; wackos come in all shapes, sizes and income levels....and it's still the internet.

As with any internet advertisement - I would make the best ad I could manage; minimize my personal details online to the best of my ability, and have a plan for weeding out the riff raff just in case. Really, the same would apply whether I was using word of mouth; just because someone hears about your perfect horse through someone you trust - doesn't make them any less of a criminal or wacko.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    I don't believe the poster's intent was rudeness.
    Yes it was.
    Check out the general tone of her other posts.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Yes it was.
    Check out the general tone of her other posts.
    I felt I understood their intent because it seemed to be the same as my own.
    Me know nut ting!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I sold my last horse (list price was $5500) off a Kijiji ad, and bought Felix off the same site (he was $500). Kijiji is very similar to Craigslist, and very popular in Canada.

I find it just another option for listing - and for buying you find a lot more "diaminds in the rough" listed because the type of person who lists only on Kijiji/craiglist are often not advertised everywhere else on the net.