The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adventures in bird watching

well, not much going on, except I fill the feeder and peek out now and then.

Anybody know what I am looking at?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...photos/027.jpg
    (I thought the picture was better though)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...photos/016.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...photos/003.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Top to bottom: yellow rumped warbler, American goldfinch, and blue bird.

alicen is right, and I just have to add "Wowzer!" That's a lovely collection of birds you are seeing. Makes the fact that I just saw the first Robin of Spring kind of pathetic.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I thought warbler of some sort on the first, female goldfinch on the 2nd and blue bird on the 3rd.

well, being in the deep south, I do have the advantage I am sure.

I have also seen red winged black birds (funny story: I had never seen one until last year when we looked at the chart for birds you might see on Dauphin Island. Didn't see one there, but back at home. Now it's like a scene from 'Birds'...just with the red wing markings)

A pair of woodpeckers, but I am not sure which kind (pictures to follow)
    House finches (they are disagreeable little buggers...) Cardinals (but not many) and some little brown birds ad a few others I can't place...

and it is really odd having to take pictures of something maybe 20 feet away from me with a 300mm lens, at full extension no less. Considering it's through 2 layers of glass, I do not complain!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I'm not too good with plain little brown birds, but I think that the ones you have pictured, with the little bit of yellow on the wings, are Pine Siskins. Some of the little brown birds you have pictured could also be female House Finches. Looks like your woodpeckers are a pair of Downeys, the male is the one with the patch of red on the head, and that's a White-Breasted Nuthatch going down the tree. The bird hanging upside down from the feeder is adorable, but I can't tell what it is from that picture.

Do you know about the Cornell Lab of Ornithology? They have a wonderful aid in identifying birds http://www.allaboutbirds.org/netcomm....aspx?pid=1189

1 members found this post helpful.

thank you!

I had another woodpecker coming by, who was more sprinkly looking, but the camera was not handy.

I had checked the Cornell website, but I find it hard to look up birds when all you have is a general size reference and color (I have not found the color sort function, if it exists)

But it is great for listening to the birds.

I was amazed to see that many different birds.

But I think the house finches are just tossing my BOSS out of the feeder!

Sometimes, with that site, I will just put in a generic something, like finch. Or I will put in one I know that's similar, and hope that the one that I really want will show up in the similar species section. They're in the process of developing a computer intelligence called Merlin, that will be able, it seems, to make tentative identifications from word descriptions.

I'll be curious to see if you get a picture of that other woodpecker. I have only seen downeys, hairys and red-bellied around here and love to see other people's pictures of different species of woodpeckers.

And, yes, it's possible that the house finches are throwing sunnies out of your feeder, but, that should draw the cardinals, who do like to eat their sunnies from the ground, also.

I sweep the seeds under the big tree, and between the little brown birds, the doves and squirrels, I think we are good.

I know I have Cardinals in the neighborhood, but maybe my neighbor, who loves to birdwatch, has better seeds?

One of the little birds looks like - and that is the best way to describe him - like the penguin form Madagascar!
    Cute and cuddly, boys! Cute and cuddly!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    More pictures

What is this little guy?
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...otos/012-1.jpg
    That little guy is a Brown-Capped Chickadee.

The bird you thought was a Cardinal at first is a Tufted Titmouse. Nice pics!