The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

What you fail to 'get' is that horses with those type of bloodlines are harder and harder to find.... When a TB stallion's get fail to light up the track by the time they are, say, 4 (making the stallion 8 or thereabouts, usually), his popularity declines sharply while the crops of the stallions who are winning 6-8 furlongs as 2 and 3yos rises. So by the time one of those failures makes it as an event horse and Sporthorse enthusiasts start looking for his get, they have a problem, because the industry demand has driven mares to stallions with more popular traits (early speed). So his offspring or grandkids are much less common.

I love TBs, seriously! I have a Smarty Jones colt running training that I would not trade for anything. But god forbid I wait until he is going Advanced if I want to look for more, because Smarty's get didn't perform as hoped for at the track and his popularity TANKED.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    What you fail to 'get' is that horses with those type of bloodlines are harder and harder to find.... When a TB stallion's get fail to light up the track by the time they are, say, 4 (making the stallion 8 or thereabouts, usually), his popularity declines sharply while the crops of the stallions who are winning 6-8 furlongs as 2 and 3yos rises. So by the time one of those failures makes it as an event horse and Sporthorse enthusiasts start looking for his get, they have a problem, because the industry demand has driven mares to stallions with more popular traits (early speed). So his offspring or grandkids are much less common.

I love TBs, seriously! I have a Smarty Jones colt running training that I would not trade for anything. But god forbid I wait until he is going Advanced if I want to look for more, because Smarty's get didn't perform as hoped for at the track and his popularity TANKED.

Jennifer
    What Jennifer said. My 34 year old, yes 34 years old, was purpose bred for eventing, along with her full and half siblings. Her sire produced several Advanced, Intermediate, Prelim horses along with multiple solid citizens at Training and Novice with all but 3 being ridden by YR and/or AA. Yet very few of you pedigree types ever heard of Surly Swain.
    20-30 years ago the Eventing/Sport Horse TB breeders saw problems with OTTB's as the push for shorter races was beginning. My old instructor looked for OTTB'S and TB mares that didn't produce the runners for the track, but had the conformation and bloodlines that indicated endurance, toughness and athleticism. There are fewer of these mares now than back then again because the "track" wants sprinters who mature quickly then can be sent to the breeding shed.
    Consider all of the talk around shortening the Belmont Stakes because a mile and a half is too long. . . .
    My thought is the steeplechase world is the last holdout of good sport breed TB's.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I think steeplechasing is the place to start when looking for bloodlines in US racing tbs who might also do well in eventing. Especially look at successful timber horses, specifically Maryland Hunt Cup horses. If you can get to any of those meets you'll see incredibly athletic horses with good minds.

The stud fees are high, but many of them are offered at significantly reduced fees through online auctions, for example TCA's auction, and state breeders' association auctions.