The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet fit

I was wondering how you guys deal with fitting your hair under your helmet when you show.
    Do you go with a helmet that would be loose if you don't have your hair under it or one that would be perfect with your down but tight with it up? If you have one that's perfect when your hair is up, do you always ride with your hair up or just ride with it a tad loose when you're schooling at home. Or do you just have two helmets, one for at home and one for schooling.
    I'm thinking of getting a new helmet and I'm not 100% sure what size to get. Everyone with short hair, I'm jealous for many reasons but I don't think I could handle cutting all of mine off.
    Thanks!

I always ride with my hair up (its barn policy) but I also have two helmets (the GR8 for shows, because I like how it looks) and and IRH (soon to be graduated to a ARY8 for head venting purposes) I would reccomend that because the most important thing is to make sure that your helmet fits.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

My helmet is a little loose if I have my hair down. I bought it to fit with my hair up since I always ride with it that way. I can't have it being tight with my hair up since I usually leave it on all day when I'm at shows and I don't want to have a splitting headache by the end of the day!

2 members found this post helpful.

I prefer my hair down when I school. Therefore I bought a CO that fits when it's that way. The first year of showing my new helmet hurt and was too tight with my hair up. However, after a year the padding wore down and it's fine with my hair up. Personally, I would like my helmet to fit for the majority of the time I ride.

My old helmet was pretty tight when I had my hair up, and was really uncomfortable at shows for that reason, but it fit great with my hair down, which is how I always used to ride at home. It was getting pretty beat up though, and someone in my barn gave me a nearly new (like, ridden in less than 20 times, if that) GPA!! Needless to say, I was totally thrilled. Its too big if I have my hair down, but it fits great with my hair up. So, I just ride in a hairnet everyday now since I love the helmet so much! If I ever don't have a hairnet, I ride in my old helmet, since it makes me nervous riding with a really loose helmet.

I always ride with my hair up so I fit my helmet with my hair up.

4 members found this post helpful.

I ride with my hair up (including hairnet) every ride; been doing it like that for over 20 years. It's the only way any helmet will fit my "in between sizes" head.

The only down fall is that the constant hairnet causes an occasional break out across my forehead in the summer. Oh, and I think I have a permanent mark on my forehead from the hairnet elastic. Oh no, wait, that's a wrinkle. *sigh*
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by englishivy View Post
    I ride with my hair up (including hairnet) every ride; been doing it like that for over 20 years. It's the only way any helmet will fit my "in between sizes" head.

The only down fall is that the constant hairnet causes an occasional break out across my forehead in the summer. Oh, and I think I have a permanent mark on my forehead from the hairnet elastic. Oh no, wait, that's a wrinkle. *sigh*
    Can't you sit the hair net higher up so it doesn't sit on your forehead? If I am not in a rush to put my hairnet on and put it on the way I like it doesn't sit on my forehead so I don't get a line or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    I always ride with my hair up so I fit my helmet with my hair up.
    Same.

I'm another that rides with hair up. Although I realized that in winter I can ride with it in a ponytail if I have a thin ear warmer on. Heck yes!

I occasionally feel a little silly throwing a hairnet on at someone's backyard barn, but I'd rather my helmet fit ALL the time, and it doesn't take that long to throw it up for schooling especially once you get good at it.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have WAY too much hair to put up in my helmet. I French braid it and stick the braid down the back of my jacket. The braid itself reaches to the middle of my back. I would have to get a helmet 2 sizes too big to wear with my hair in it. Even then, it doesn't fit right (I've tried). No one has ever complained about my hair whether formal days foxhunting or showing. My helmets fit with my hair braided down my back.

Hair up with hairnet every time I ride. Nice and neat appearance and makes it easy to have one helmet that always fits.

I always put my hair up. My hair is long, but quite fine, so it doesn't take up that much room anyway. And, with fine hair, leaving it down doesn't work, as it flies and drifts around too much due to lack of weight...even a pony tail would end up in my eyes. I have it up outside of the house, most of the time, even off a horse, or it flies in my face at the slightest breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Can't you sit the hair net higher up so it doesn't sit on your forehead? If I am not in a rush to put my hairnet on and put it on the way I like it doesn't sit on my forehead so I don't get a line or anything.
    The shape of my head is such that if I push the hair net higher up on my forehead, the tension releases and slips off. Although the net is pushed up into the helmet (as in you can't see it), it is just under the brim and gives me such a great mark. It seems my head isn't condusive to hunter hair.

On the upside, the shape of my head is FANTASTIC for short to medium bob haircuts, at least I have been told by many hair stylists.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

I always ride with my hair up, so I bought my helmets to fit that way. (I have 3, one I prefer to wear- AYR8, one that lives in the trailer as a spare- Troxel, and an ugly shiny plastic IRH that I almost never wear)

I would never want to be stuck at a show with a too tight helmet, and a loose one is not safe, so if I didn't want to ride with my hair up always I would have 1 for show and 1 for schooling.

Up with hairnet, every time. Once you get in the practice of doing it, it becomes second nature and only takes 30 extra seconds.

I also think a ponytail flopping around can be very distracting. I did wear it down in a ponytail all of once, because my hair was doing a HUGE CURLY FRIZZBALL thing and I was too lazy to fight it to cram it up that day. It drove me crazy feeling it thumping around on my neck and back.

As to the inevitable safety argument, I have always fitted my helmets with my hair up in a hairnet (no hair pins), and I've taken several headers over the years (along with countless unplanned dismounts), and my helmet has always done its job and never budged. So in my anecdotal experience, as long as you fit your helmet with your hair up, there's no difference in safety or efficacy.
    friend of bar.ka

I am a certified helmet fitter (certified by Charles Owen.) When I fit a helmet, I first fit it with the hair down, then once I find one that fits, we put the hair up using a hairnet. Obviously depending on your hair length, if you wear your hair down, there can be quite a difference. For this type of situation, adjust the fitting of this helmet based on where the ponytail is placed is very important. Lower for longer hair, higher for shorter hair. Fitting a helmet this way allows for it to fit with your hair down or up. Its all a matter of letting the helmet fitter know how you typically wear it. If they don't ask, don't use that fitter. This should save you the money of having two different helmets. I own a tack shop and fit many helmets. It is process that takes a little time, but if done correctly, you will be happy for years! Good luck and I hope this helps. Dana Miller, Chagrin Saddlery

1 members found this post helpful.

Also, wearing your hair down (ponytail with a hairnet covering the ears, etc.,) can also look very neat and is very common to see when schooling. I do agree though. Hair up under the helmet does make for a neater appearance but the former is acceptable.

I have a LOT of hair (and I do mean A LOT)

I pretty much ALWAYS wear my hair up. in a braid it thumps my back and is annoying, in a loose ponytail in blows around and I have a matted mess.

I think it fits fine under my helmet...although I'll admit I've never actually succeeded in using a hair net, its long enough that I twist it up, then down, then up sorta "fanned" out so its not lumpy and it stays up fine without any wispy's. Fit under my old style velvet helmet that finally bit the dust this year fine as well....I'm seriously considering just keeping with the ovation, nothing like it in the 90+ degree heat!!!

When I put my hair up, it causes the helmet to pop off of my head - different sizes, it's always been the same. (Yay super curly hair!) So I always ride with it down, and show with it down as well. (Hairnet + small bun at the nape of my neck). Bought helmet to fit with it down.