The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I give up! Worming question...

So, my very large draft x TB has a "very small" strongylide (sp?) burden and my vet has recommended running a Panacur Powerpac through him. All well and good, except the Powerpac dosge is for horses up to 1250 lbs. and we worm my guy for 1500lbs. I've tried contacting the manufacturer for instructions on dosing a larger horse, but haven't been able to reach them. I'm hesitant to simply add an extra day of dosing with this product as it is "extra strength"- and expensive! Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Thanks!

That's an extra 20% of weight and thus I would expect another 20% of product to be required. Please share what the manufacturer suggests if they get back to you. You could also call and ask your vet.

The package insert can usually answer questions like this.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/panacur-pow...rmer-57-g.html

The "power pak" dose is 4.6 mg/lb or 10 mg/kg. For a 1500 lb horse, you need 6900 mg or 6.9 g of fenbendazole for five consecutive days.

Using the liquid should be less expensive:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....gas=safe-guard

It is 100mg/mL fenbendazole, so you will need 69 ccs per day and 345 ccs total.

If you'd like to give the paste, then yes, you dose based on actual weight of the horse.

I'd think you'd need another tube of Panacur (or two, depending on the size of the tube, as long as it was 10% fenbendazole) to add to the daily dose so you're dosing correctly by weight instead of giving a diluted dosage each day.

Simkie,

You're awesome! No way was I wrapping my head around that kind of math today...

Probably silly question, but the liquid is marketed for cows; it's safe for horses, yes?

As long as it's 10% fenbendazole, marketed towards cows or goats (at least all the ones I've seen), it's all the same - 4.6ml/100lb x 5 days for the "power pack".

You will have to do the math based on cost per tube of Safeguard (cheaper than Panacur) or a Power Dose (Safeguard, usually cheaper per tube when bought that way), vs that of buying the liquid. Doing 1 horse means you'll probably just do 125mL bottles, so at 1500lb, that's 69 (round up to at least 70, maybe a few more, we'll say 74) ml/day, which means 3 bottles every 2 days, so 7 bottles at somewhere around $17/bottle, based on the last price I saw.

It's not usually cheaper, and usually MORE $$, to use the liquid for just one horse, unless it's a mini

But the bigger question is- why did the vet suggest a PP for a horse with a low strongyle count? When was he last dewormed, and with what? IMHO, the best thing at this point is to use Quest (which does nearly everything a PP does for encysted strongyles, plus a whole lot more) or Quest Plus if you need to get tapeworms.

1 members found this post helpful.

Lightbulb

I would go with the Quest suggestion. Buy a second tube, the plungers are marked off in weigh increments. Just add enough of the second syringe to make up the dosage you need. In this case, an extra 350# dose, added to the 1150# in the first tube. While dosage is critical with Quest, it is not that critical with a 1500# horse, compared to a mini.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

And I'd even give it another 50-100lb unless you KNOW the horse isn't any more than the weight suspected, ie 1500. That % increase isn't going to kill a horse, but that much too little is to be avoided.

Have you asked your vet? They can certainly recommend a dose adjustment based on weight for the powerpack treatment they recommended or prescribed.

There is no "dose adjustment" If you're doing a power pack, it's 4.6mL/100lb if the product is 10% fenbendazole.

The key is getting an accurate enough weight, and giving a bit more of the product if you can't. So, if you have 1500lb as guesstimated by a weight tape, I would err on the side of caution of not underdosing , and think 16-1700lb.